Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Annual thread on the topic, see the wiki for annual previous threads

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 6:26 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite

At this rate I am likely to fall just short of hitting 100K PQM by the end of the year.

Will UA grace me until the end of January 2017? If not what are my best options to close the gap, some type of mileage runs?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Motorskills

Will UA grace me until the end of January 2017? If not what are my best options to close the gap, some type of mileage runs?
Nope.

Purchase EQMs via mileage accelerator or do an MR. MR would probably be cheaper.
Motorskills likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
At this rate I am likely to fall just short of hitting 100K PQM by the end of the year.

Depends on how many you are short......

Award accel works for smaller amounts
Larger probably want to think about a MR
Motorskills likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
About 20 or so years ago I was about 250 miles short of 1K, @ years end, and called to ask for a "wink"!

Got read the riot act, "These people work hard for that level and we don't give it away!"

I apologized for inquiring, and I've been a 1K ever since with BIS's!!!
Motorskills likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Yah gotta pay to play on UA.

It comes down to where you are at as stated above.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:49 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
How much do PQM's cost when purchased via Mileage Accelerator?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Depending on how much you are short, to me anyways, I've rather do a mileage run for less money than using accelerator.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Two Bee
About 20 or so years ago I was about 250 miles short of 1K, @ years end, and called to ask for a "wink"!

Got read the riot act, "These people work hard for that level and we don't give it away!"

I apologized for inquiring, and I've been a 1K ever since with BIS's!!!

Funny to think that, in 1997, United sent a 1K card to my wife who had not even flown 60,000 miles with them. She was a high level frequent flyer with USAirways but unfortunately, at that time, that airline was not flying to GIG or many destinations in Europe so in addition to USAirways she had to take flights on United, British Airways, Air France, Sabena, Alitalia, Finnair, etc and had membership cards for 8 different airlines.
Motorskills likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think a mileage run is a more enjoyable way of hitting your goals. My wife needed to not only hit 100k PQM, but also the $12k spend limit...so it was off to Chicago on a 3-class 763 in 1K and 2K for us (full-fare F for her, award ticket for me), and discounted F on the way back. My suite upgrade certificate got us (on the house) to one of the giant suites on the top floor at the Fairmont and had a very cozy (and snowy) Christmas weekend in the Windy City. It was worth it (and for more than just the 6 GPUs ).
DJ_Iceman and Motorskills like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
At the end of 2016, I was a Silver (from 2015) that had 24,850 PQM and $2,784 PQM for the year. Despite not qualifying for Silver on paper, United sent me an email and awarded me Silver for 2017.

FWIW, from 2010-2016 I was 1K or Silver for each of the years.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
How much do PQM's cost when purchased via Mileage Accelerator?
It depends. It will vary based on the individual, how close you are to a threshold and the time of the year you purchase.

First, you have to purchase the corresponding RDMs, but the lowest combined rate for RDMs + PQMs has been about 9 - 10 cpm, for some it has been 12-15 cpm but in December 20-25 cpm is not uncommon.

So we don't get OT, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2017-a.html for more (and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html).
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

if your PQD is high then UA will likely give you 1K even if you are short ... I'd say $30k spent is a save guess based on co-workers.
Motorskills likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
if your PQD is high then UA will likely give you 1K even if you are short ... I'd say $30k spent is a save guess based on co-workers.
Or do some SDCs to put you over.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I'm looking at my final half dozen flights of the year, and the most likely scenario leaves me at 49,998 PQMs. PQDs are covered by my Chase spend. What's the reported rate of success of having UA bestow a few measly PQMs on a customer before the end of the year, so it's a sure thing?

I suppose my other alternative is trying to SDC from BOS>SFO to BOS>ORD>SFO or reverse, as that adds a few miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.