FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   772 coffin vs. 744 coffin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1869326-772-coffin-vs-744-coffin.html)

helvetic Sep 28, 2017 12:13 pm

772 coffin vs. 744 coffin

I'm faced with the choice of flying tomorrow in 772 coffin class or in 744 coffin class… (upper deck is booked up). Are they equally narrow, or is there an advantage to one over the other.

Previously, I've always been able to select an upper deck seat, but it looks like I'm out of luck on this one. There's 3 seats open in F (which as a P fare I can't upgrade into) on the 744, so my inclination is to hope an UD pax gets upgraded and I can snag the seat last minute.

Any thoughts?

tuolumne Sep 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 28870012)
I'm faced with the choice of flying tomorrow in 772 coffin class or in 744 coffin class… (upper deck is booked up). Are they equally narrow, or is there an advantage to one over the other.

Previously, I've always been able to select an upper deck seat, but it looks like I'm out of luck on this one. There's 3 seats open in F (which as a P fare I can't upgrade into) on the 744, so my inclination is to hope an UD pax gets upgraded and I can snag the seat last minute.

Any thoughts?

IPTE C in the 747-400 is always going to be a better pick because of the wider cabin fuselage. This means the middle 4 seats, especially the middle most seats, aren’t as quite close together. Further, downstairs IPTE C seats on the 747 ate fractionally wider and longer than the 777 (upper-deck are shorter and more angled), and my perception was that the aisles were always a hair wider.

The only thing to say about the IPTE 777 is that some may prefer this option because of the small C mini-cabin behind F.

cesco.g Sep 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Helvetic: Seats 6B and 6K aisle seats downstairs on the 744 are usually blocked. Try to get one released by 1K res or snag it day of departure. Good luck!

findark Sep 28, 2017 7:48 pm

744 all the way. 6B and 6J blocks, plus the chance of a UD pax misconnecting or upgrading are all chances you won't have on the 772. Plus the fuselage is wider.

villox Sep 28, 2017 8:28 pm

And the 744 is going away forever soon!!! No brainer.

UA_Flyer Sep 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Go for 744. Time is running out.

If IFE is important to you, 772 has more video contents than 744.

747 all the way!

crispeta Sep 28, 2017 9:52 pm

My latest experience is very recent: 744 on the weekend, back today on 772.

Echo all others, select the 744, feels a tiny bit roomier in the seat, lavatories are equally rocked down (they didn't even have paper cups today).

Pluses that I see for the 772: Air quality is (felt) less dry and the floor is not as noisy/ movable as on 744. On the latter I felt every FA passing by.

helvetic Sep 29, 2017 1:49 am

Booked the 744, thanks all. Already knew it deep down, but now it's clear.

flybit Sep 29, 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 28872413)
Booked the 744, thanks all. Already knew it deep down, but now it's clear.

and hope a upper deck passenger is upgraded to F and a seat will free up!

cesco.g Sep 29, 2017 9:02 am

Originally Posted by flybit (Post 28873305)
and hope a upper deck passenger is upgraded to F and a seat will free up!

EF is your friend! ;)

helvetic Sep 30, 2017 3:00 pm

UD freeing up didn't happen… flew in the lower deck coffins. Originally got 9K, which was actually pretty nice and private in a mini-cabin off to the side. But ended up switching with someone in 8H to sit next to my girlfriend who cleared the last "upgrade" as a PR-1 award waitlist. It was a pretty high-traffic zone… so not ideal.

Turns out though, the seats are a lot more comfortable than I remembered. It's nice not to have to deal with the tiny foot cubbies like on the staggered designs on many airlines. My main gripe is the lack of storage… there's absolutely nowhere to put anything!

PaulInTheSky Sep 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 28870012)

Any thoughts?

Just like the other FTers, 744 is almost gone. There's wider cabin fuselage in 744. I wish I could have another chance to get on the 744, but probably that's it. My last 744 was TPE-SFO in the Labor Day weekend.

cranky1K Sep 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Is this a poll? I vote 744!

J.Edward Oct 1, 2017 9:05 pm

Topic Check

Good evening all -

The topic of this thread is the pmUA 772 business seat vs the pmUA744 business seat.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA Form Moderator