Question regarding trip through HKG

Old Sep 27, 17, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Question regarding trip through HKG

Good evening. Im leaving on friday for my first real international trip.
Going CMH to ORD. ORD to HKG both on united and then HKG to KHH on dragon air. All booked through united.com. Couple questions.
1. Will my bags make it all the way through to KHH without having to pick them up in HKG and re check them
2. Will united be able to print boarding passes for thr dragon air flight or will i have to get those in hkg.
3. Any must see/do in HKG airport? I will have 4 hours
4. In economy. How miserable will i be and is it worth it to upgrade to premium economy for the 16ish hours ill be in the air.
Thanks all for the help!
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Tagged through.
2) Get the BPs at the transfer desk in the terminal.
3) I like the views from the upper level (follow signs for lounges) near the center of the "Y" of the terminal. Other than that, grab a snack and try to not sleep through the connection.
4) It is not luxurious. It is not torture. UA doesn't offer premium economy, just some seats with extra legroom. Only you can decide if that's worthwhile compared to the cost.
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by supergriff34 View Post
... 1. Will my bags make it all the way through to KHH without having to pick them up in HKG and re check them ...
Yes

...4. In economy. How miserable will i be and is it worth it to upgrade to premium economy for the 16ish hours ill be in the air. ...
UA does not have premium economy. UA does have Economy Plus (E+) which is extra leg space (about 3 inches for the ORD-HKG 772) but otherwise the same seat width and service as the rest of economy. It is not strictly called an upgrade but rather is a additional seat access (generically called preferred seating) fee. The extra leg space can mean extra comfort if you are average or above average in height.
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
4) IMHO, depends mostly on your height. For me it means the difference between my knees touching seat in front of me or not touching it.
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the super quick responses everyone!
So far it was what i thought.
Im not exacrtly tall 5’8” 170. I plan on splitting the time watching movies/sleeping. It is only $200 for a few exta inches and its wude open. May be a game time decision...
Old Sep 27, 17, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Im not exacrtly tall 58 170.
Your knees will definitely NOT touch the seat in front of you .... well maybe if the person in front of you reclines all the way, which isn't much in UA seats.

IIRC it's an extra inch of recline in E+, so if you elect to stay in E-, be sure NOT to pick first row in E- @:-)
Old Sep 27, 17, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
1. Will my bags make it all the way through to KHH without having to pick them up in HKG and re check them
Yes only if the GA @ ORD tagged all the way to KHH for you.

2. Will united be able to print boarding passes for thr dragon air flight or will i have to get those in hkg.
You can get in @ HKG. You may be able to check online with CX/KA website and print your BP in advance.

3. Any must see/do in HKG airport? I will have 4 hours
I would say you will at least have the time for a decent dinner, not some airport food.

4. In economy. How miserable will i be and is it worth it to upgrade to premium economy for the 16ish hours ill be in the air.
It depends on how full the flight will be.
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I would say you will at least have the time for a decent dinner, not some airport food.
Are you suggesting the OP leave the airport and head in to town for a meal?

I know it can be done on a 4 hour layover but I wouldn't recommend it to a first-time visitor.
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
It is a choice OP has to make. And yes, I am suggesting this.

I know it can be done on a 4 hour layover but I wouldn't recommend it to a first-time visitor.
As soon as OP plans ahead and abides the plan, many things can be done in Hong Kong.

However, I admit that, based on OP's ETA @ HKG (evening-late evening), not many things can be done.
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
You may be able to check online with CX/KA website and print your BP in advance.
I'd recommend this. CX/KA check in opens up 48 hours in advance and a mobile BP can be used to get through mid-field security eliminating the need to go to a transfer desk.
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
+1
Not enough time to do much more than head into Kowloon or Central, turn around and head back to the airport. Best case, you get an hour in the city.
Old Sep 28, 17, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
+1
Not enough time to do much more than head into Kowloon or Central, turn around and head back to the airport. Best case, you get an hour in the city.
I've done it but had a very specific purpose in mind, I wanted to pick up some meds from Fanda that I can't get in Japan. I actually had less than 4 hours in transit but I know Hong Kong quite well. I also wouldn't recommend it to a first time visitor unless they really have a specific destination in mind that's close to Kowloon or Hong Kong stations and smartphone maps to navigate once on the ground. Another point to consider is inbound and outbound immigration can take a bit of time during busy hours (nothing crazy like entering the US or UK, but keep in mind), that doesn't apply to regular visitors as we use the e-Channel which takes a couple of minutes at worst during the most busy times. The good point is that a same day return Airport Express ticket is the same price as a one-way (100HK$, can be paid on credit card at the Airport Express counter).

Otherwise for the OP, HKG is a nice airport but nothing special to do like Changi unfortunately. Your layover is long enough that it might be worth while to get a day pass for the United Club. You can easily get better food for less outside the lounge, or even fast food if you fancy, but I like the lounge for a place to settle in and recharge before the next flight. Pretty sure the HKG UA Club also has showers which will likely be welcome after your long trip.
Old Sep 28, 17, 5:41 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, do you have an Amex Platinum card or a Chase Sapphire Reserve card?

These cards allow yo to request a free Priority Pass card for free access to (non-UA) lounges.

I love taking a shower after/before crossing the Pacific.

BTW, many years ago, my first TPAC trip was also via HKG to KHH! I hope that KHH has improved in the last 26 years.
Old Sep 28, 17, 7:27 am
Original Poster

I have the CSR and priority pass. Any recommendation for a lounge to visit?
As others have mentioned i dont think leaving the airport would be ideal at least on this trip. Ive traveled a lot. But not so much out of the US. Would feel more comfortable in a trip or two.
I will try checking in online this afternoon for the dragon air flight if not we arent in a huge rush in hkg but always good to be prepared.
As always. Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 28, 17, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
On the extra legroom question, I would pay the money if it looked like E- was full but I could reasonably see myself getting an empty middle, though I guess that is something you could wait to do at the gate on day of departure. On a recent trip both IAD-NRT and HKG-ORD were pretty empty in E+ but basically full in E-.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: