Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are there so many 1K? PQD Impossible!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are there so many 1K? PQD Impossible!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This would be a great idea. I almost never fly domestically so would happily lose the CPUs and RPUs in favor of more GPUs without fare class restrictions.
Indeed. W is a killer, for me at least.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by spin88
My guess is that the revenue sharing deal with BR/ANA does not include PE, which is why UA will not sell it.
UA won't ticket PE code shares because they don't care enough to update their system to support it right now. But also BR restricts all but full fare to their own stock, which is the real problem here.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yes, Z/P fares. I browse FT for discounted J tix. I have a R/T later this year in J (LAX-SYD-LAX), and the fare was around $2,500 from UA.
For vacation, very easy to get under $4k and often $3k with flexibility and timing. Work travel, it's much harder.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by aero0729
Hello,

I just booked a $1400 ticket round trip Prem Economy class to Bangkok on Eva.

I just realized I will earn ZERO PQD!! My fault entirely.American and Delta offer fairly extensive PQD earnings for Premium Economy Class fares so I had no idea these flights literally will not count for status. Seems pretty ridiculous and takes all the fun out of it since United.com doesn't price even close to the competitor website and I did not see a Premium Economy. So this begs the questions, with on United tickets earning PQD, how do so many people achieve 1K!?
5 trips a year EWR-HKG in business
9 trips a year EWR-SFO/SNA/LAS in mix of business and economy

1k PQD is nothing...GS I seem to always miss
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I think it would be pretty hard to be 1K from the US if you did not do 3 or more international business class trips (even heavily discounted, which is the only way I will do it) or lots of paid domestic first. I suspect that for most 1Ks it is the former, and it is business travel. And I also suspect that is the group UA is trying to target.
Pretty hard, yep.

No International.
No paid F, even domestic.

Just back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, criss-crossing these fine United States.

It's a drain on me; a drain on the family; a drain on my customers and exhausting.

But it's what I've got to do to make a living, so I keep doing it ....
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I might be wrong, but it seems you can't issue BR ticket with 016 stock.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Absolutely incorrect.

Im almost 100% sure there is an inter line agreement. The issue is discount economy fares on BR - at least most, if not all, are restricted to BR stock. So if you want a full fare BR ticket, it shouldn’t be an issue. If you want a discounted fare, then forget about it.
Sabre will now show that message if you try to plate on 016 stock with no United-marketed segments. It does the same for other carriers, including United's joint venture partners (e.g. LH). As far as I can know, it's a new(ish) feature in Sabre (that is applied to almost all airlines' plates) that is enforcing United's ticketing policy on the subject, although United has generally looked the other way w/r/t many forms of off-plating as long as the fare rules allowed it. This is independent of the fact that most BR discount fares can't be plated on 016 to start with--it would price fine if you added any United flight number to the itinerary (subject to fare rules/combinability restrictions/etc.).

It's quite an annoying change--I've had a few situations where customers have started out with a ticket that had UA segments but had to change to all-LH tickets. I couldn't process the exchange myself because of the new restrictions, so I had to call United to do it (where they happily obliged).

The following is the interline ticketing table for United on Sabre. To ticket flights on that airline without a UA segment on the ticket, it must be designated by ‡, P, or S (which none of them are):
Code:
PERMITTED ET INTERLINE CARRIERS                                                                                           
  * DENOTES BETA                                               
  ‡ DENOTES UA IS NOT REQUIRED IN HOSTED INTERLINE ITINERARY    
  P DENOTES UA IS NOT REQUIRED IN PSEUDO INTERLINE ITINERARY    
  S DENOTES UA IS NOT REQUIRED IN SUPER PSEUDO INTERLINEITIN    
  Y DENOTES SSR TKNE MESSAGE SENT                               
  N DENOTES SSR TKNE MESSAGE NOT SENT                           
  R DENOTES INTERLINE REVALIDATION SUPPORTED                    
  E DENOTES INTERLINE EMD SUPPORTED                             
    AA-Y      AB-Y      AC-Y      AD-Y      AF-Y      AH-Y      
    AI-Y      AM-Y      AR-Y      AS-Y      AV-Y      AX-Y      
    AY-Y      AZ-Y      A3-Y      BA-Y      BB-Y      BD-Y      
    BE-Y      BI-Y      BM-Y      BR-Y      BT-Y      BW-Y      
    CA-Y      CI-Y      CM-Y      CO-Y      CX-Y      CZ-Y      
    DL-Y      EI-Y      EN-Y      EQ-Y      ET-Y      EW-Y      
    EY-Y      FB-Y      FI-Y      FJ-Y      FM-Y      FV-Y      
    GA-Y      GF-Y      GK-Y      G3-Y      HA-Y      HO-Y      
    HU-Y      HX-Y      IB-Y      IT-Y      JJ-Y      JL-Y      
    JP-Y      JQ-Y      J2-Y      KA-Y      KC-Y      KE-Y      
    KF-Y      KL-Y      KM-Y      KQ-Y      KS-Y      KU-Y                                                               
    KX-Y      LA-Y      LG-Y      LH-Y      LO-Y      LP-Y     
    LR-Y      LW-Y      LX-Y      LY-Y      MD-Y      ME-Y      
    MF-Y      MH-Y      MI-Y      MK-Y      MS-Y      MU-Y      
    NH-Y      NU-Y      NX-Y      NZ-Y      OA-Y      OK-Y      
    OM-Y      OS-Y      OU-Y      OZ-Y      O6-Y      PG-Y      
    PK-Y      PR-Y      PS-Y      PU-Y      PX-Y      PZ-Y      
    QF-Y      RO-Y      SA-Y      SK-Y      SN-Y      SQ-Y      
    SU-Y      S2-Y      S4-Y      S7-Y      TA-Y      TG-Y      
    TJ-Y      TK-Y      TP-Y      UL-Y      UN-Y      UP-Y      
    US-Y      UX-Y      VA-Y      VF-Y      VK-Y      VN-Y      
    VS-Y      VW-Y      WK-Y      WM-Y      WP-Y      WS-Y      
    WY-Y      XF-Y      XL-Y      ZH-Y      ZK-Y      3K-Y      
    3M-Y      4B-Y      4M-Y      4Q-Y      4U-Y      7C-Y      
    7H-Y      9B-Y      9K-Y      9W-Y
username likes this.

Last edited by Sykes; Sep 27, 2017 at 6:07 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by findark
For vacation, very easy to get under $4k and often $3k with flexibility and timing. Work travel, it's much harder.
Agreed. I lucked out on a nice fare during Christmas/New Year's timeframe.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I think it would be pretty hard to be 1K from the US if you did not do 3 or more international business class trips (even heavily discounted, which is the only way I will do it) or lots of paid domestic first. I suspect that for most 1Ks it is the former, and it is business travel. And I also suspect that is the group UA is trying to target.
I have always had a heavy international and domestic mix, I have several colleagues though who get to 1k pretty quickly on a couple of US trans cons a month. I am also truly amazed by some FTers when it comes to the BIS miles they get per dollar
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, it all depends on the travel pattern. I have been pretty lucky to be assigned to domestic projects where the fares are high so I easily make the PQD. Things quickly add up when you travel every week - even at $500 PQD per trip.

Others I work with would end up flying diagonally across the country every week and have a problem with PQD because of low fares between SEA and FLL.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mtftw
My PQDs are through the roof because I tend to fly last minute fares, but they are exclusively Economy. $600+ PQD with 1,000 PQM is really a bummer.
Double-edged sword, which I experience often.

PQMs take a hit, but surely making more RDMs under this new system then before.

That $600 is yielding 6,600 RDMs for a 1K.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I was about to say that at least the CC PQD waiver wasn't hiked to $250k like DL, but then I realized UA's CC PQD waiver for 1Ks is infinite.

I think the big issue is for folks who fly a lot of partner airlines that don't get plated on 016 stock, or who fly a lot of longhaul domestic discount Y. I fly a ton of paid domestic F, some paid international C, and the rest W or higher international Y + GPU to upgrade. My CPM is under 12 cents, albeit not much, so I will hit $12k PQD around the same time I hit 100k PQM.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21

I love getting 2500 RDM for a sub-500 mile flight. OTOH, it was a big shock the first time I netted 10K RDM for an upgraded RT W fare to HKG (which used to net 30K with 1K bonus ).

I don't have trouble with PQM due to at least four or five long-haul international per year (and suspect you're in same boat).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I'm at almost 150k PQM, and I only have one intl trip this year. I would easily qualify even without it!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
I love getting 2500 RDM for a sub-500 mile flight. OTOH, it was a big shock the first time I netted 10K RDM for an upgraded RT W fare to HKG (which used to net 30K with 1K bonus ).

I don't have trouble with PQM due to at least four or five long-haul international per year (and suspect you're in same boat).
Correct. I just recently qualified for 1K again. My PQDs were about $18,000 when I finally crossed over the 100K PQM mark.

I didn't track it specifically, but my RDMs feel about the same between the old and new system.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21

RDMs are a nice consolation prize, hardly a goal though.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Didn’t say qualifying for 1K in domestic economy is impossible, just hard. 70 segments is a lot (and still only 50K PQM). I have qualified with about 35-40 segments per year, 125k PQMs, and making PQDs has been no problem with a little paid international business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.