Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3 reasons why you should fly United again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:21 pm
DEN
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond

From an email I received today, with that subject line. They went on to say:

“We appreciate that you chose United® for your recent trip to *******. Did you notice anything different? We hope you were able to enjoy the latest offerings we've introduced to enhance your inflight experience. Here are a few reminders why you should think United when booking your next flight.”

They go on to talk about trivial upgrades and changes like more inflight programming (more 10-year-old sitcom reruns and menu upgrades (and the fact that I might even find a whole cashew mixed in with the fragments) and such. And finally, the Mobile App…really, that’s all you’ve got? Who chooses an airline based on their app?

I know they are trying but I have been so disappointed with the new International Service I just can’t make myself buy another ticket.

I love the subject line, but, here’s the real truth, in my opinion:

3 reasons why you should NOT fly United again:

1. International cabin service is inconsistent and in many cases better with other carriers on International flights (especially foreign carriers) Your cabin crews ARE grandmothers, flying international routes based on seniority, not performance. (Thanks for saying it out loud first, Akbar…… �� )

2. Your rollout of upgraded international cabins and lounges has been painfully slow and, in the case of SFO, you made the lounge situation worse to make it better……

3. Your planes are filthy. Take advantage of the lower labor rates in many of your destination countries and have them deep clean your aircraft on EVERY turnaround.

Feel free to add your three favorites to the list…..

DEN
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DEN
They go on to talk about trivial upgrades and changes like more inflight programming (more 10-year-old sitcom reruns and menu upgrades (and the fact that I might even find a whole cashew mixed in with the fragments) and such. And finally, the Mobile App…really, that’s all you’ve got? Who chooses an airline based on their app?
Not to take away from your rant, but the UA app is absolutely fantastic, and (gasp), actually fun and easy to use. It is the gold standard for flight apps out there. It's not a reason in enough to book United, but I can say managing flights and changes/monitoring reservations is worlds better on UA.

Coming from AA I couldn't do garbage.
PVDtoDEL, uanj, tnmlyger and 12 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
The title of this thread is a bit of a bait-'n-switch, no? Was expecting something positive, not a rant.

I agree that the app IS definitely a huge positive, and also find UA's inflight entertainment selection to be one of the best. Watched many awesome and interesting movies from their international selection.
Service is inconsistent, I agree there, but overall I find the whole experience better now than 10 years ago with CO.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:49 pm

The APP is definitely part of my decision making process. I use all the majors, and in deciding that UA is primary, the APP was one of several criteria. in the last 15 years, I've only been EXP about 2 years (sometime post SMI/J) before coming back to UA.

I think UA has made a ton of improvements in the past 2 years. But I do agree the service levels are inconsistent, and the Polaris rollout painfully slow. The lack of lounges a year after launch is IMHO a really big miss. The lack of seats also a big miss (will finally get to sit in my first real Polaris seat in 2 weeks)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Let's keep things positive! My three reasons people should fly UA:

1. E+ on transcons now includes surprisingly tasty food and free drinks. E+ is also free for Golds+, and occasionally Silvers.
2. United Clubs really are better than they have been in recent memory. Consistent (if not memorable) snacks, better booze and a physical refresh are all appreciated by this elite.
3. The 787 means more non-stop (or single connection) flights for more passengers.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I just think it's a funny waste of resources to put me in their email targeted ad when I have SFO-PDX SFO-AKL SFO-YYC round trips all booked for the coming months...

As for your Con #3 I've never noticed a "filthy" plane in the past few years. Primarily I'm on 787s, sCO 777, ps 756 and 764s.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
"Your international cabin crews ARE grandmothers"
Always love the ageist comments about the UA cabin crew. I am around their vintage and never have a problem with them. Maybe a little empathy and respect would go a long way. Can imagine from the tone of your post you would get their backs up straight away.
"Your planes are filthy"
Never been my experience in 15 years flying with them both internationally and within the USA.
As for upgraded cabins and lounges, don't have a clue. Have no status and fly Y.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I don't care who the cabin crew are, or their ages, or what they look like. Do they treat me with a modicum of respect and do their jobs ? That's all that matters.

The app is fantastic, and the gold standard for airline apps IMHO.

The J cabins are great on international flights.......all NA carriers have crap J seating within the US and Canada.

Lounges are great and the recent renos made a difference for me.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I have two reasons for flying with United. One is 3 years old and her baby brother is 5 months old. They live in Las Vegas, I split my time between Las Vegas and NJ and only United has daily non-stops between the two airports. Yes, the planes are not the cleanest, in general the food, when offered is inedible at best, upgrades are rare and after 28 years as an Elite/Premier they really don't care much about me because they know I will be back to see my grandchildren. One more point on clean planes, we now wipe our seats down before flying. Recently on a EWR-LAS trip we were in first, wiped the seats down and the wipes came out black. I sent a picture to United, maybe you got a response because I never did.......
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by DEN
Fr

3 reasons why you should NOT fly United again:

1. International cabin service is inconsistent and in many cases better with other carriers on International flights (especially foreign carriers) Your cabin crews ARE grandmothers, flying international routes based on seniority, not performance. (Thanks for saying it out loud first, Akbar…… �� )

2. Your rollout of upgraded international cabins and lounges has been painfully slow and, in the case of SFO, you made the lounge situation worse to make it better……

3. Your planes are filthy. Take advantage of the lower labor rates in many of your destination countries and have them deep clean your aircraft on EVERY turnaround.

DEN
Wow took the words out of my mouth on all three points.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Sometimes I think I am flying another airlines, also named United. I have been pretty shocked that all of my flights lately have been very good. It's helped that I am 4/4 for UGs on domestic and my award flight last week in J from LHR-EWR was excellent.

It of course wasn't always that way but I would say over the last 4 months my experiences have been positive.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
United Clubs really are better than they have been in recent memory.
I look forward to seeing how Polaris lounges stack up, but until then i'd never set foot in a UC in any airport with a Centurion Lounge.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by gene2632
I have two reasons for flying with United. One is 3 years old and her baby brother is 5 months old. They live in Las Vegas, I split my time between Las Vegas and NJ and only United has daily non-stops between the two airports.
Similar story here for me as a hub captive in NJ.

It's the difference between having to connect and having a non-stop to most of my destinations. In the past I traveled a lot to Asia, and non-stops to BOM, HKG, and NRT were awesome. Currently I travel to SFO a lot, and now they even started a direct once a day flight to SJC. My colleagues asked me last week if I got a direct flight from NJ to SFO, and I said yea, I have my choice of 13 daily direct flights.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
On the positive side, I would add:

--when you have a good to outstanding FA or crew, it can make the flight great;

--great app;

--the cheeseburgers in coach are reliable and tasty.

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Sep 26, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by gene2632
I have two reasons for flying with United. One is 3 years old and her baby brother is 5 months old. They live in Las Vegas, I split my time between Las Vegas and NJ and only United has daily non-stops between the two airports. Yes, the planes are not the cleanest, in general the food, when offered is inedible at best, upgrades are rare and after 28 years as an Elite/Premier they really don't care much about me because they know I will be back to see my grandchildren. One more point on clean planes, we now wipe our seats down before flying. Recently on a EWR-LAS trip we were in first, wiped the seats down and the wipes came out black. I sent a picture to United, maybe you got a response because I never did.......
I love this post... as Mrs. Phil Level is a "wipe addict". She packs them all the time.
That said, maybe you or someone else, should do the "wipe test" on several airlines and present the results.
joelfreak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.