Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3 reasons why you should fly United again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 reasons why you should fly United again

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:26 pm

1. Great app
2. Ability to book partner awards directly online, and wide selection of partners
3. Best value points program (of the US majors anyway)

In the past I would have said nothing about the actual service. However, I've just flown TAP where (this is but one example of many) on one flight I was made to stand next to the toilet for 55 min, while cabin crew either ignored me or made derisive comments (that's one airline I am *really* never flying again). Now I come to appreciate high standards of catering, service and cabin comfort that United provides (by comparison). Remember - it could always be *much* worse.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by DEN
From an email I received today, with that subject line. They went on to say:

“We appreciate that you chose United® for your recent trip to *******. Did you notice anything different? We hope you were able to enjoy the latest offerings we've introduced to enhance your inflight experience. Here are a few reminders why you should think United when booking your next flight.”

They go on to talk about trivial upgrades and changes like more inflight programming (more 10-year-old sitcom reruns and menu upgrades (and the fact that I might even find a whole cashew mixed in with the fragments) and such. And finally, the Mobile App…really, that’s all you’ve got? Who chooses an airline based on their app?

I know they are trying but I have been so disappointed with the new International Service I just can’t make myself buy another ticket.

I love the subject line, but, here’s the real truth, in my opinion:

3 reasons why you should NOT fly United again:

1. International cabin service is inconsistent and in many cases better with other carriers on International flights (especially foreign carriers) Your cabin crews ARE grandmothers, flying international routes based on seniority, not performance. (Thanks for saying it out loud first, Akbar…… �� )

2. Your rollout of upgraded international cabins and lounges has been painfully slow and, in the case of SFO, you made the lounge situation worse to make it better……

3. Your planes are filthy. Take advantage of the lower labor rates in many of your destination countries and have them deep clean your aircraft on EVERY turnaround.

Feel free to add your three favorites to the list…..

DEN
Originally Posted by narvik
The title of this thread is a bit of a bait-'n-switch, no? Was expecting something positive, not a rant.

I agree that the app IS definitely a huge positive, and also find UA's inflight entertainment selection to be one of the best. Watched many awesome and interesting movies from their international selection.
Service is inconsistent, I agree there, but overall I find the whole experience better now than 10 years ago with CO.
OP, please don't tell me you are trying to mimic the irony of the title/subject line and the actual reality and try to reflect that in your post.

I must say, however, that you did a pretty good job with it.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I love this post... as Mrs. Phil Level is a "wipe addict". She packs them all the time.
That said, maybe you or someone else, should do the "wipe test" on several airlines and present the results.

After seeing the flight crew (on long interntional flights) wiping the seat/table religiously before they rest into the seats, I have been doing the wiping routine on each flight I take on United.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
After seeing the flight crew (on long interntional flights) wiping the seat/table religiously before they rest into the seats, I have been doing the wiping routine on each flight I take on United.
I think it's a good habit. Even if I take Singapore Air or ANA, the first thing I do before settling down on my seat is to wipe the seat around (arm rest, touch screen, IFE control, all buttons, tray table, head rest, etc) with my own antiseptic wet napkin. Sometimes I'm shocked how dirty the seat can be even on SQ or NH. If I don't have any wet napkin, I will just use the hot towel hanged out by the crew.

I guess it's not the airlines' own ground employees who clean the cabin, it's the airport authority contracted cleaning company who do the cleaning job, especially when the plane is landed overseas?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
...I've never noticed a "filthy" plane in the past few years. Primarily I'm on 787s, sCO 777, ps 756 and 764s.
Originally Posted by grapegrower
"Your planes are filthy"
Never been my experience in 15 years flying with them both internationally and within the USA....
Wow. You guys must not fly much. I do ~200K BIS a year and IME, most of the UAL planes are filthy.

I usually sit in the same seats. It's been so bad that I've come to recognize specific bits of debris from one flight to the next. For example, there was a big flake of croissant way down next to the 5F seat from SFO EWR. A few days later, it was still there on the way back. Look for it if you sit there!

This should hardly be a surprise, because the ridiculous turnarounds they schedule don't allow for any real cleaning at all.

I recently flew on HK Express. It was dirt cheap and they charged you for everything extra. But, what a contrast to United! The planes were absolutely pristine. Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, et al usually have spotless planes. Once again, United is the standout.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:22 pm

Was an active UA flier 1998-2005. Watched their demise then. Generally avoiding them since.

Surprised to know they are becoming an app company, based on the comments here.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
1. Best network (domestic and worldwide) / Star Alliance
2. E+ (more seats, better access polices)
3. Million Miller

If there was a 4th & a 5th
4. GS
5. Best miles of any US major

Great app and self service options on United.com is a huge positive but not why I fly United.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:33 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by BThumme
Not to take away from your rant, but the UA app is absolutely fantastic, and (gasp), actually fun and easy to use. It is the gold standard for flight apps out there. It's not a reason in enough to book United, but I can say managing flights and changes/monitoring reservations is worlds better on UA.

Coming from AA I couldn't do garbage.
Agreed, UA has a better app than any other airline whose app I've ever used. It works perfectly as expected all the time. It almost seems normal, but then I try to use AA's or B6's app for anything and I remember how great UA's is.
joelfreak likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I'm curious how this helps develop a resistance to anything. I have a few miles under my belt and there is only once in about thirty years that I could even vaguely attribute anything to a flight but even then I think it probably wasn't. I don't believe in sanitising everything as it means my body would be at the mercy of any germ that happens to be around. I've had a few unpleasant experiences in third world countries but no number of wipes in the world would have made any difference. Probably off topic but I don't understand why people would do that. Our bodies learn to fight things off by being exposed to them.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Lots of reasons for me to fly UA:

1. Network from SFO.
2. Star Alliance. Easy to take for granted. UA has the best collection of partners overall.
3. Treated well as 1K.
4. SDC.
5. Free award changes.
6. Polaris seat (and on the long-haul routes I'm most likely to fly).
7. Free E+

And a few not:

1. UC's improved, but food options still weak, SFO clubs currently awful.
2. RPUs are (nearly) worthless.
3. Crazy fare pricing lately, including BE fiasco.
4. 739s.
5. HD widebody configurations.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by DEN

3. Your planes are filthy. Take advantage of the lower labor rates in many of your destination countries and have them deep clean your aircraft on EVERY turnaround.

Feel free to add your three favorites to the list…..

DEN
are you kidding? United airplanes are much cleaner than some other airplanes like Jetblue, where cleaning is done artificially (like in 5 mins) by crews and nonrevs, whereas United actually pays a vendor to do the cleaning in between flights.
boat9781 and RandomBaritone like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2017 at 1:37 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by gene2632
I have two reasons for flying with United. One is 3 years old and her baby brother is 5 months old. They live in Las Vegas, I split my time between Las Vegas and NJ and only United has daily non-stops between the two airports. Yes, the planes are not the cleanest, in general the food, when offered is inedible at best, upgrades are rare and after 28 years as an Elite/Premier they really don't care much about me because they know I will be back to see my grandchildren. One more point on clean planes, we now wipe our seats down before flying. Recently on a EWR-LAS trip we were in first, wiped the seats down and the wipes came out black. I sent a picture to United, maybe you got a response because I never did.......
LOL we wipe down religiously too. Because we see how other pax act.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
As someone who flies both DL and UA regularly, UA's app is in no way better than DL's, especially when you consider how DL's app handles IROPS. That said, I personally think UA's is the second best of the airlines I use (DL, UA, AS, Southwest).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:05 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
Lots of reasons for me to fly UA:

1. Network from SFO.
2. Star Alliance. Easy to take for granted. UA has the best collection of partners overall.
3. Treated well as 1K.
4. SDC.
5. Free award changes.
6. Polaris seat (and on the long-haul routes I'm most likely to fly).
7. Free E+

And a few not:

1. UC's improved, but food options still weak, SFO clubs currently awful.
2. RPUs are (nearly) worthless.
3. Crazy fare pricing lately, including BE fiasco.
4. 739s.
5. HD widebody configurations.
Why the 739 hate? I'm much rather sit on a UA 739 with 20 F seats than one of their 319s with 8 F seats only and no upgrades in sight

Also, cleared an RPU into a Polaris seat EWR-SFO on a $199 fare last week!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by DEN
1. International cabin service is inconsistent and in many cases better with other carriers on International flights (especially foreign carriers) Your cabin crews ARE grandmothers, flying international routes based on seniority, not performance. (Thanks for saying it out loud first, Akbar…… �� )
While I have no issue with age per se I have to say the service and attitude I have gotten on UA to Asia has been insane. This is happening across all classes. Checkin is also shockingly rude and the kind of "fees on everthing" approach american carriers are practicing is not something I have to deal with when flying on Asian metal.

At this point I go out of my way to use other Star Alliance carriers for travel between PVG and the continental US. ANA is miles better, CA at the very least friendlier, Asiana is good China-Korea and outstanding Korea-US and Singapore... well, the only thing speaking against it is the long detour. It's a shame Cathay is not part of Star Alliance.

Bottom line: plenty of options and often they are not more expensive. So why bother. Let them get their act together first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.