Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3 reasons why you should fly United again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 reasons why you should fly United again

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
As someone who flies both DL and UA regularly, UA's app is in no way better than DL's, especially when you consider how DL's app handles IROPS. That said, I personally think UA's is the second best of the airlines I use (DL, UA, AS, Southwest).
I think UA's app handles irrops great. It's pretty flexible and kicks in after an hour or more delay (used to be an hour, maybe its 2 now?), and lets you move to a different starting or finishing airport nearby within the next two days wherever same class space is available, and that's just through the app, let alone the help I've gotten in the past rebooking with phone agents as a lowly silver/gold.

I don't have experience with delta, I've heard they do irrops good too. As a Michigan based flyer who has flight issues with the elements once a year during the winter, it's nice being able to change right on the app pretty much instantly.

I know I must sound like a UA employee, but I spend probably 15-20 minutes on the UA app a day, usually browsing through flight loads, seat maps, upgrades, on random and not-so random routes, Looking at where planes are coming from, etc. I'm probably a bit crazy for doing it but there's just so much information that it has, that makes it a great compliment to flying (but again, I would not book solely on the app). To me, it's just part of the overall experience with flying.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by DEN
Your cabin crews ARE grandmothers, flying international routes based on seniority, not performance. (Thanks for saying it out loud first, Akbar…… �� )
The more exposure I have to the “new and younger” crews UA has been hiring lately, the more I appreciate the grandmothers and the service nuances they instinctively have that is lost on the new gang.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DEN
From an email I received today...

“We appreciate that you chose United® for your recent trip to *******. Did you notice anything different? We hope you were able to enjoy the latest offerings we've introduced to enhance your inflight experience. Here are a few reminders why you should think United when booking your next flight.”

They go on to talk about trivial upgrades and changes like more inflight programming...
Deride if you want, but what the OP got is a rare example of retention marketing from UA -- an important business driver all but ignored since 2011. UA has knocked itself out creating ways to repel customers, but on the retention side, not so much.

How many thousands or millions of us former 1Ks, Plats, etc. have let our status drift down to GM, depleted our mileage banks to fumes, without a solitary inquiring word from UA?

OP is right that the actual customer experience is largely untethered to the aspirational brand promise, but the email is a start. Expectations are so low anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:03 am

I think the UA app is pretty good as well, especially compared to the other mobile apps I've used (AA, B6, WN).

My experience with FAs varies, yes, but I've found the quality of them doesn't correlate with their seniority in all cases. That said, I've had several great flights with more experienced FAs/pursers.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:57 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KDS777
The J cabins are great on international flights.......all NA carriers have crap J seating within the US and Canada.
Surely you've experienced the "premium" shorthaul/mid-haul cabins on so-called "premium" Euro carriers - LX, LH - right? J cabins in NA might not be amazing but they're significantly better than anything in Europe. I've come to really appreciate the US carrier premium cabin investments (even E+ and its equivalents), as EU carriers just don't hold a stick there.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Lots of reasons for me to fly UA:

1. Network from SFO.
2. Star Alliance. Easy to take for granted. UA has the best collection of partners overall.
3. Treated well as 1K.
4. SDC.
5. Free award changes.
6. Polaris seat (and on the long-haul routes I'm most likely to fly).
7. Free E+

And a few not:

1. UC's improved, but food options still weak, SFO clubs currently awful.
2. RPUs are (nearly) worthless.
3. Crazy fare pricing lately, including BE fiasco.
4. 739s.
5. HD widebody configurations.
I would add to the "not":

6. No PE
7. Requiring a W to play the GPU lottery vs. upsell game
8. poor IRROPS handeling
9. No food on routes I fly in F where AS/VX/DL have food
10. No/very rare CPUs give TODS and smaller FC cabins, while OALs will at times upgrade me.

And while I agree with the "pro" points one and two (3) I have been treated far better by VX/AS as a Gold, and DL as a Plat than United treated me as a 1K post Jeffie's take over. (4) I don't get the whole "SDC is a plus for United" I get SDC waver on DL (golds, Plts, Dimonds get free SDC) so no advantage there. Am I missing something? (6) The polaris seat is only on a few planes, and on most routes there are better seats on OALs, certainly not an advantage, especially since UA's sCO 763 seats and the non-bulk head B789 seats are some of the worst seats space wise, and (7) I get "free E+" on DL/AS/VX, and all toss in free booze and snacks, which UA only gives to 1Ks and GS.

Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
As someone who flies both DL and UA regularly, UA's app is in no way better than DL's, especially when you consider how DL's app handles IROPS. That said, I personally think UA's is the second best of the airlines I use (DL, UA, AS, Southwest).
I think you make a good point, DL's app is much better than in the past. What DL has is bag tracking. Great feature that UA lacks. But what UA has is "plane tracking" allowing you to see where your incoming flight is. Given how unreliable United is, its a great feature. I used it nearly every time I fly United. It is something I wish that Delta had. So given that I almost never check bags, I give the nod to United's app at this point.

Originally Posted by helvetic
Why the 739 hate? I'm much rather sit on a UA 739 with 20 F seats than one of their 319s with 8 F seats only and no upgrades in sight

Also, cleared an RPU into a Polaris seat EWR-SFO on a $199 fare last week!
that was a good use of a RPU. Why hate on the 739? Well the seats have little leg room for one, second they are narrow, third they have no IFE. I mostly pay for F, and the 739 is not a plane that I want to pay to fly in F on, or for that matter fly in any class...

Originally Posted by BearX220
Deride if you want, but what the OP got is a rare example of retention marketing from UA -- an important business driver all but ignored since 2011. UA has knocked itself out creating ways to repel customers, but on the retention side, not so much.

How many thousands or millions of us former 1Ks, Plats, etc. have let our status drift down to GM, depleted our mileage banks to fumes, without a solitary inquiring word from UA?

OP is right that the actual customer experience is largely untethered to the aspirational brand promise, but the email is a start. Expectations are so low anyway.
+1. Interesting that they are trying this approach. Just sad that given how much they have chopped down the product quality (worst slim line seats, no in-seat IFE, tighter pitch, including in E+, and going with horrible HD seating with E+ seats that are .6 narrower than on a 737 on the 77W/77HD) and elite benefits (no upgrades, miles are worth far less, IRROPs handling sucks) that all they can talk about is their app. It would be like my getting an e-mail from Costco about how big their shopping carts are.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by DEN
1. International cabin service is inconsistent and in many cases better with other carriers on International flights (especially foreign carriers) Your cabin crews ARE grandmothers, flying international routes based on seniority, not performance. (Thanks for saying it out loud first, Akbar…… �� )

2. Your rollout of upgraded international cabins and lounges has been painfully slow and, in the case of SFO, you made the lounge situation worse to make it better……

3. Your planes are filthy. Take advantage of the lower labor rates in many of your destination countries and have them deep clean your aircraft on EVERY turnaround.
1 - agree with your ideas, but not with the generalization that seniority --> bad performance. There does need to be a shake up in terms of int'l cabin crews. I'd like to see a higher % of the crew speak the language of the destination country.

2 - sure.

3 - not my experience. How does one allocate this? Only when the costs are X dollars? Just as PEK may be cheaper.. NRT & HKG may be more expensive
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
I think you make a good point, DL's app is much better than in the past. What DL has is bag tracking. Great feature that UA lacks.
Bag tracking was added in the most recent update to the United App.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boat9781
1. Best network (domestic and worldwide) / Star Alliance
In general, I do like United. But I have to wonder how much of a benefit Star Alliance is now that I don't get PQMs for most flights (often in K), and can't even pick my seats on LH flights. I'm hate sitting all the way in back with the crying babies on a 747-800 because I have zero control over my seat assignment when purchasing a code share on ua.com. The fact that I don't even earn miles means the only real benefit is *G, which I guess means free checked bag and maybe sometimes a lounge (though I also have priority pass, so lounge is not a huge win).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:18 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ftweb
In general, I do like United. But I have to wonder how much of a benefit Star Alliance is now that I don't get PQMs for most flights (often in K), and can't even pick my seats on LH flights. I'm hate sitting all the way in back with the crying babies on a 747-800 because I have zero control over my seat assignment when purchasing a code share on ua.com. The fact that I don't even earn miles means the only real benefit is *G, which I guess means free checked bag and maybe sometimes a lounge (though I also have priority pass, so lounge is not a huge win).
I wasn't aware this was such a problem w/UA-coded *A flights.

This has been an issue for me on AA, too. Seat booking only works easily on BA (and sometimes Qantas) when booked as an AA coded flight. Many other OneWorld carriers you have to call in and even then they can often not do seats (LATAM, Finnair particularly). I'm considering switching to UA, as an LAX-based flyer for three reasons:

1) The *A network, which I generally prefer to Oneworld (my only real EU option from LAX, aside from AA, is BA and that's ); and options to Asia are nice, although I do try to avoid OZ
2) The service I've had on UA, air and ground, has been substantially better in the last 3 months than AA; particularly on-board, AA have really downgraded their premium product, IMO, on domestic flights. The meals they're serving now are truly bottom-of-the-barrel
3) Mileage Plus which was always my favorite program.

I'm well only my way to million-miler status on AA, and only 1/4 of the way there on UA, so I may stick w/AA from LAX for now. AA's route network from LAX is really quite good. UA has nice facilities after their facelift.

I contemplated going back to DL but the issue I have there is the Skymiles program is and their LAX terminals right now are also majorly
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
No credit card waiver for 1k's

I don't fly United because they don't have a credit card waiver on dollars spent to earn top tier status. On Delta, I can earn Diamond on 125,000 miles and $25,000 Amex spend.

Oh, wait.........
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
Not to take away from your rant, but the UA app is absolutely fantastic, and (gasp), actually fun and easy to use. It is the gold standard for flight apps out there. It's not a reason in enough to book United, but I can say managing flights and changes/monitoring reservations is worlds better on UA.

Coming from AA I couldn't do garbage.
It's a world standard in privacy tracking and snooping your device. Also a battery hog.

I wonder how their mobile or desktop site can work just fine on a very same device with the exact same functionality. Yet their app need access to my personal photos, calendar, location history and other irrelevant info.

https://i.imgur.com/0og05C8.png
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I don't fly United because they don't have a credit card waiver on dollars spent to earn top tier status. On Delta, I can earn Diamond on 125,000 miles and $25,000 Amex spend.

Oh, wait.........
$250,000 now.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by danielSuper
It's a world standard in privacy tracking and snooping your device. Also a battery hog.

I wonder how their mobile or desktop site can work just fine on a very same device with the exact same functionality. Yet their app need access to my personal photos, calendar, location history and other irrelevant info.

https://i.imgur.com/0og05C8.png
Photos/Camera - for scanning your passport/selecting a picture
Calendar - to add reservations to your calendar
Locations - to give you transit directions and or find close airports

I don't expect the united desktop site to have that nor need it.
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Originally Posted by Bowgie

Oh, wait.........
$250,000 now.
Wow .... for most (other than a medium size business owner) this means no waiver.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...250-000-a.html
This eliminates a big DL advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.