Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

sister-in-law flies 1 TPAC roundtrip every month, after 108k PQM, still only a Silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sister-in-law flies 1 TPAC roundtrip every month, after 108k PQM, still only a Silver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:51 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
As someone here has mentioned. Have her get a MileagePlus Explorer Card. Spend $25k on it even if it's MS. Then she'll get Platinum Status. She won't get to 1k because the spending waiver does not work for that.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by malgudi
8 TPAC flights for a total of $4270???
I dont think thats suprising, even the lowest (K) YYZ-SIN often sells for under 500USD base fare+yq, and thats 22000+ PQM roundtrip
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
$1... I trust my brother and sister-in-law with my life. (way more than I trust my own parents or kids)
IMO, working around the PQD requirement by "doctoring" home address is not worth the potential pitfall just to chase status.

There are alternatives, some of which have been mentioned already:

1) UA credit card waiver
2) non-work flights on UA metal (or other *A 016 tickets) with higher dollar spend
3) work with the employer to see if other flight options are possible. At our company, all employees are booked in J for overseas work trips
4) Other FF programs without dollar spend requirement
Two Bee likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
more surprised i am that she still has her sanity than that she has only UA silver status, after that many hours in UA Y on a monthly/yearly basis
she has the advantage of being a petite lady. (5'2" and probably no more than 105 pounds)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
All of which is legally protected confidential information which neither United, nor any other business is entitled to receive a copy of outside of very specific circumstances, such as applying for a mortgage where the requesting company has regulations, policies and procedures to request, review, protect and safely dispose of that information.
United is free to say they will not extend benefits to you unless you comply with the disclosure of certain information to them.
Rikki3072 and Two Bee like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
This caught me, too. Average TPAC RT prices at least $1000 if not more. It is amazing that she is able to get an average of $533.75!
Tickets are probably a bit more, as PQD excludes the taxes. I recall WAS-HKG being on the order of $500 (all-in) for discount Y when I flew back in March (my W fare ticket was more like $900). If course, hotels in HKG were like $300/night, quickly negating that airfare savings...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Here's my question... what if I let her use my foreign home address as her UA account address?
FWIW - many people do that.

Since I own the house, I can just "lease" her a room and give paperwork to show for it.(she does spend a few days in that house if she happens to be in that city) Or better yet, I don't mind selling 1/2 of the house to my brother so he and my sister-in-law become co-owners.
You have made this way more complicated.

See here for a list of document accepted:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1614212

What UA needs is 2 documentation. They don't really care about the actual proof of address.

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
This caught me, too. Average TPAC RT prices at least $1000 if not more. It is amazing that she is able to get an average of $533.75!
Actually, it is still a little bit high.

I did 6 TPAC and 1 domestic last year. Excluding the domestic RT, my average was $518.33 per UA.

Originally Posted by DELee
Unless her company is buying W or higher, GPUs are not gonna work.
Actually, the only gain were BG 1, E+ at booking, increased baggage, and lounge.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is a Chase MP credit card waiver an option? $25K annual spend waives PQD for Plat and below.

[/url]
THIS: Get the CC and spend 25K, at least she gets platinum out of it
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
OP, can I know how your sister-in-law books her travel?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
OP, can I know how your sister-in-law books her travel?
Not really that hard.

For example, you can book a trip from the east coast of US to China on UA for less than $500 all in. $400 PQD, 15K+ PQM. Wide open dates.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: None anymore
Guessing she's flying to China like others have said. Where do you live OP? If you live in CHina I say go for it because that's where she's traveling to. Even if she doesn't "live" there she's going there so it counts I would think. Do it so she can get 1K benefits.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
There are alternatives, some of which have been mentioned already:

3) work with the employer to see if other flight options are possible. At our company, all employees are booked in J for overseas work trips
This.
I`d see with her employer that she may book premium economy for those trips. Fares are mostly reasonable (starting at ~$1,500), the added comfort is well worth the incremental expense, and PE earns well in any FFP.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:48 am

off topic but i woudlnt fly TPAC on cheapest fare class on UA.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - many people do that.

You have made this way more complicated.

See here for a list of document accepted:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1614212

What UA needs is 2 documentation. They don't really care about the actual proof of address.
#1 and #6 seem pretty easy to submit. I actually had a similar issue with Delta and I simply included a copy of my foreign local resident ID (nothing else). Simple change, no more MQD.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
off topic but i woudlnt fly TPAC on cheapest fare class on UA.
You would if your boss told you to
Or would you use your own money to upgrade the fare class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.