TPAC UA vs. NH Economy

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by br2k
Now, in J there is no comparison.
NH 77W business staggered vs UA polaris hard product?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by spin88
I am 6' 1.5" and weight 215 lbs. I am NOT a small guy. I have flown those ana seats 7-8 times, and an equal number of times in ANA J, on these (2-4-3) 77Ws. I guess I never was bothered by the issue some people had with them (the claim that they are "hard") and I like people not reclining into me. ANA has 34" pitch and the seat is wide. I have taken the ANA 777 basically back-to-back with the sUA 777 (in 3-3-3) and do not have a seat preference (I like that these seats are higher in the back, the old sUA seats have more padding, but then the guy in front reclines into you, unless you are in a bulkhead). Here btb is what the ANA seats look like:

I don't think there is any reasonable dispute that ANA's food/coffee (even with UA now doing Illy) and booze selection/quality is better than what UA serves. Absent getting a micro-brew on UA (sometimes they are gone...) everything UA offers for free is low quality, and ANA will give you hard ETOH as well, including a decent scotch.

p.s. I should add that I have not flown ANA long haul in about two years (since they put 3-4-3 on the SFO-NRT flights) but I don't think anything has materially changed re their soft-product.
I don't consume alcohol and tend to avoid airplane coffee (Illy on the airplane still tastes pretty watery to me), so those are pretty much a wash.

The main comparison for me is really seat/service/schedule vs. 14k miles/*G status.

I'm a few inches shorter than you and I fit reasonably well in the UA 789 Y seat. I think the headrest was my main complaint about the UA 789 seat. Does the headrest on the ANA seat move up and down?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
There is no way I'd give up the miles and earning *G just to fly NH TPAC. I'm not that tall, 6', but I find most of their Y seats to be cramped. UA E+ is a clear winner for me just because of space. Food, beer selection, coffee, etc., make no difference to me as Y is Y and the food is fairly poor regardless of the airline.

The only real advantage I can think of for NH over UA on this route is that if you were already *G then you have a decent shot at an upgrade. Since it sounds like you're not yet *G then that's a moot point. I don't fly NH Y very often, but have had operational upgrades about as often as not when I did, you'll never get an OP-UP on UA because there's a long queue of people wanting to use GPUs and then if that still leaves open seats then the non-revs get them.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by br2k
IME - NH Y food is as bad as UA Y food (if not worse, I posted photos in the past), but there is also less of it.

NH FAs will be traditionally polite. However, fixed shell seats and no E+ mean that I would opt for UA....
Ditto. Ditto. And ditto.

ANA FAs are polite, if somewhat mechanical - they'll close/check the bins in formation. Kind of entertaining to watch the precision in their duties.

Food is hardly better than UA's (in coach). Haven't been in ANA business in ten years, but CO's was definitely better at that time. Economy seat on ANA was miserable - and I'm still only 5' 9".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.