Wiki Posts
Search

award tix for spouse > how to get E+??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
award tix for spouse > how to get E+??

I am using miles to get an overseas ticket for my spouse. How do I get her in E+ on award ticket??
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by bballdad175
I am using miles to get an overseas ticket for my spouse. How do I get her in E+ on award ticket??
if your spouse doesn't have elite status with united or an E+ subscription, then you have to purchase it for each flight. When you select a blue E+ seat, you'll see the price.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmw303
if your spouse doesn't have elite status with united or an E+ subscription, then you have to purchase it for each flight.
This, or fly 1MM and gift her your status.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you're flying with her and you have Premier status, you get to select free E+ seats for both of you. If you're not traveling with her, the free E+ benefit is not available (even though the miles are yours). Inherited benefits bit the dust a while back.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I had this come up 2 weeks ago. I called the 1k line and asked politely if she could move to Economy+ in case the I waitlist doesn't clear and they moved her for me and indicated that you just have to call in for them to do it - but she only did it on the same flights I am on (my wife is returning 5 days early).

So so call in and HUCA if you don't get the answer you want.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
....but she only did it on the same flights I am on ....
If you are flying together -- this is no problem, very standard BUT if the elite is not accompanying the non-elite, than you will need to purchase access

The OP did not mention also flying, so the assumption by some of posters was this is a solo flyer and hence the advice to purchase E+.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
they moved her for me and indicated that you just have to call in for them to do it - but she only did it on the same flights I am on
OP can correct me if I've misread, but it sounds to me like spouse is flying by herself. The answer would thus be as stated above. No dice.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
The OP's wife could always hang out around the group 1 area and see if one of those guys would sponsor her, the same as the UC front door -street people do.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by bmw303
if your spouse doesn't have elite status with united or an E+ subscription, then you have to purchase it for each flight. When you select a blue E+ seat, you'll see the price.
Clarifying my original post for OP

If you're flying with your spouse but you're on a separate ticket, United will put her next to you in E+ (assuming you are Gold or above, or Silver within 24 hours of departure). You have to call in.

If you're flying with your spouse on the same ticket, you should have no problem selecting an E+ seat for both assuming you are Gold or above, or Silver within 24 hours of departure.

If your spouse is Premier Gold or above (or silver within 24 hours of departure or E+ subscriber), then the seats should be free. Call if its not.

If you're not flying with your spouse, and if your spouse is not a Premier Gold or above (or silver within 24 hours or E+ subscriber) then your spouse is not eligible for complimentary E+. Then you have to purchase. Doesn't matter if you are an elite using your miles.

Last edited by bmw303; Sep 21, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I am not recommending it, but were you to book an award ticket with her, select E+ seats for you both, and then cancel your award ticket her E+ seat might "stick", but you risk (or she does) a plane change or other even that could cause her to lose her seat, with less attractive selections available after that happens.

Of course, if you don't cancel within 24 hours and you're inside of 60 days, you will pay a redeposit fee (unless 1K)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Two Bee
The OP's wife could always hang out around the group 1 area and see if one of those guys would sponsor her, the same as the UC front door -street people do.
Wait- people are taking "guests" in off the "street" at UCs??? Jeez - this explains why they are overcrowded.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Wait- people are taking "guests" in off the "street" at UCs??? Jeez - this explains why they are overcrowded.
The more informed street urchins use multiple options for access:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...up-thread.html
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Wait- people are taking "guests" in off the "street" at UCs???
I believe they're called "dates."
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
How would that get the person into E+? It's not like just because she boards with the group 1 people she can pick any seat she pleases.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Coskigirl
How would that get the person into E+? It's not like just because she boards with the group 1 people she can pick any seat she pleases.
Instant "companion." The gate agent could do it: "Hey, I didn't realize that my good friend was on this flight too. Could we sit together?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.