FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   travel to india question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1867961-travel-india-question.html)

nyr2299 Sep 20, 2017 12:13 pm

travel to india question

Traveling in business class to Delhi from Chicago. My options are air canada through Toronto, or UA through EWR. I am GS and have no status on AC... which one should I go with?

PittAir Sep 20, 2017 12:49 pm

I have done that trip many times. I'm a GS as well. Isn't there a direct UA fight from ORD to DEL? The EWR-DEL is a reasonable flight.

lixiaojuventus Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by nyr2299 (Post 28839089)
Traveling in business class to Delhi from Chicago. My options are air canada through Toronto, or UA through EWR. I am GS and have no status on AC... which one should I go with?

If you are GS and have no status on AC, why are you even confused with these two choices? :)

NoLaGent Sep 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Doesn't AI fly nonstop from ORD to DEL?

But as a GS, it seems like UA via EWR is a no brainer, unless I'm something...

SuperFlyBoy Sep 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 28839349)
Doesn't AI fly nonstop from ORD to DEL?

Yes, but I would recommend against it! :p

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 28839349)
But as a GS, it seems like UA via EWR is a no brainer, unless I'm something...

Depends what benefits you would really get as a GS...depends on what class you are flying in (for upgrades, if you are in Y) and otherwise only for protection/waived change/other fees...

AC is a pretty good product as I understand - and they are flying direct to DEL as well as BOM now from YYZ.

NoLaGent Sep 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 28839370)
Depends what benefits you would really get as a GS...depends on what class you are flying in (for upgrades, if you are in Y) and otherwise only for protection/waived change/other fees...

or more notably, PQD & PQM.

Bonehead Sep 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 28839370)
...Depends what benefits you would really get as a GS...

Hey OP...who would you rather be on in the event of irrops? UA seems like the no-brainer choice to me as well.

Acastus Sep 20, 2017 1:52 pm

UA no brainer. I'm a GS based out of EWR and done the flight many times. It's fine and since it leaves at night after the Europe flights are mostly gone the lounges are usually available.

lhrsfo Sep 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Not sure what equipment AC has on its DEL service but I have never found the seats on J in AC 787s to be comfortable. I'd far rather fly UA.

catocony Sep 21, 2017 7:11 am

Why go through the hassle of going through Canadian immigration to make a connecting flight on an airline where all you have is Star Gold status?

Seby12 Sep 21, 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by nyr2299 (Post 28839089)

You should also consider LH throughly FRA. I’m a fan of their new business class.

S.R Sep 21, 2017 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Seby12 (Post 28841912)
You should also consider LH throughly FRA. I’m a fan of their new business class.

LH J is trash. I’d rather fly UA J any day. Now if we’re talking about F though, LH all the way.

But for the OP, if he’s GS, and wants to remain GS, I would recommend sticking to UA just to get the GS PQD.

bamboola Sep 21, 2017 7:38 am

Or consider Austrian via Vienna. Great service, comfortable seats, and COFFEE! The only downside is the long layover in Vienna. Personally, I would just do the EWR to DEL. You can get a real night's sleep on a 13-hour flight vs. not much sleep two 8-hour flights.

smxflyer Sep 21, 2017 7:38 am

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 28841899)
Why go through the hassle of going through Canadian immigration to make a connecting flight on an airline where all you have is Star Gold status?

Immigration check in YYZ for US to INTL is only a document check and takes no more than 5 mins.

malgudi Sep 21, 2017 7:55 am

That's a new one ... :confused:

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 28841968)
LH J is trash. I’d rather fly UA J any day.