travel to india question

Old Sep 21, 17, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.4MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I've only flown BOM-EWR once in Business on UA, but it was a good experience. Flight leaves about 10 p.m. and arrives EWR at 6 a.m., before the Immigration lines have had a chance to build up, and connections are relatively easy that early in the day. Nice long flight for sleeping. Nearly-empty club lounges early in the morning.
Old Sep 21, 17, 8:03 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by S.R View Post
LH J is trash. I’d rather fly UA J any day. Now if we’re talking about F though, LH all the way.

But for the OP, if he’s GS, and wants to remain GS, I would recommend sticking to UA just to get the GS PQD.
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
That's a new one ...
Actually, after *Polaris*, the PMCO exCON service has sunk to a new low...

At the same time, LH has indeed upped it's game - surprisingly - as I had effectively boycotted them in favor of UA, but then had to travel to Europe from India - and now not only is LH food edible - it's actually very good!

Combine that with decent service now on board as well - it's better than Polaris! (1 roll per pax in business, no seconds - simple fling the tray down and see ya later!)

Unless one gets a more motivated crew - most of the exCONs are very upset about how their original service has become...
Old Sep 21, 17, 8:05 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Lori_Q View Post
I've only flown BOM-EWR once in Business on UA, but it was a good experience. Flight leaves about 10 p.m. and arrives EWR at 6 a.m., before the Immigration lines have had a chance to build up, and connections are relatively easy that early in the day. Nice long flight for sleeping. Nearly-empty club lounges early in the morning.
ETD ex-BOM on UA49: @approx 2300 hours or 0000 hours, depending on the season.
Old Sep 21, 17, 8:07 am
S.R

Programs: EK Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
That's a new one ...
The new seats are awfully designed, and quite uncomfortable. I'm not trying to play footsie with my neighbor while sleeping. Service is good for the most part, but not sure how people are saying the food is good. LH food in general isn't that great, even in F. Minus the caviar of course. The food on UA in J is actually sometimes quite good. And I much prefer the UA seats, even the old ones, but especially now the new polaris seats, over LH J.
Old Sep 21, 17, 8:11 am

The new seats are awfully designed, and quite uncomfortable. I'm not trying to play footsie with my neighbor while sleeping. Service is good for the most part, but not sure how people are saying the food is good. LH food in general isn't that great, even in F. Minus the caviar of course. The food on UA in J is actually sometimes quite good. And I much prefer the UA seats, even the old ones, but especially now the new polaris seats, over LH J.
Seat comfort equal now with UA (PMCO) old seats. (I still prefer the PMCO seats)

No more footsie on LH except in center seats.

LH F food also used to be horrible. LH C much better now.

Did 1 F segment - food was decent. Will do another in October, I hope.

Even the wines/champagne are better now in LH C...
Old Sep 21, 17, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm flying del-lax later this year on a business award. Currently confirmed on AI and SK via ARN. Not my ideal.
Old Sep 21, 17, 8:39 am
S.R

Programs: EK Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Seat comfort equal now with UA (PMCO) old seats. (I still prefer the PMCO seats)

No more footsie on LH except in center seats.

LH F food also used to be horrible. LH C much better now.

Did 1 F segment - food was decent. Will do another in October, I hope.

Even the wines/champagne are better now in LH C...
Are you sure no more footsie? I could've sworn I was in a window last time and the seats were facing towards the center if you know what I mean. Haven't flown LH J since last July, and it was on the A380.

I fly LH F a few times a year, and have flown about 6 segments on it this year. Food was pretty bad every time. The food in the F lounges, FCT though is amazing.
Old Sep 21, 17, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I thought I read the 77W was moving to EWR-India this winter? The Polaris hard product is a win (comparatively within UA).

i too have flown BOM-EWR and vv and the timings work pretty well. The planes at this point are dated - the IFE is at least 15yo software. SQ dumped it and its successor in fact already.
Old Sep 21, 17, 11:18 am

Are you sure no more footsie? I could've sworn I was in a window last time and the seats were facing towards the center if you know what I mean. Haven't flown LH J since last July, and it was on the A380.

I fly LH F a few times a year, and have flown about 6 segments on it this year. Food was pretty bad every time. The food in the F lounges, FCT though is amazing.
I guess I have only flown the 744 so far recently on LH - so maybe the others have the footsie version... (Oh, I usually get the bulkheads - that's why! )

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
I thought I read the 77W was moving to EWR-India this winter? The Polaris hard product is a win (comparatively within UA).
Wow - that would be nice - but I thought they were going to do the other routes primarily - as they don't really make as much as USA-Europe or US-Asia...

i too have flown BOM-EWR and vv and the timings work pretty well. The planes at this point are dated - the IFE is at least 15yo software. SQ dumped it and its successor in fact already.
IFE still works fine for the most part...
Old Sep 21, 17, 1:07 pm

Audio selection is pathetic ... just podcasts and some books

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
IFE still works fine for the most part...
Old Sep 21, 17, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
We flew EWR-DOH - DEL on Qatar Airways....Wonderful flight with Pajama's etc. The 2-1/2hr stopover in DOH was a nice break and fun. They bussed all business transit passengers to a huge incredible lounge. The lounge had all the usual amenities plus duty free shopping and a collection of varied (free) restaurants ranging from a NY deli, to a Sushi Bar, and on an on, perhaps a dozen restaurant area and dining areas. And plenty of alcohol on aircraft and in lounges. Most of the cabin crew on our flight were Brits or Irish. They also fly ORD-DOH-BOM.
bakster21 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 17, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Definitely still LH J seats with the "footsie" problem:

all Airbus widebodies: middle block of 2-2-2
748: every seat (!)
744: I forget, I think it's none but it might be 2 of the 3 in the lower deck's 2-3-2.
Old Sep 21, 17, 11:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Is that EWR-BOM or EWR-DEL? Also anyone have experiences with GPUs clearing on EWR-DEL or vice versa as a 1k?
Old Sep 22, 17, 10:14 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by lightbulbs View Post
Also anyone have experiences with GPUs clearing on EWR-DEL or vice versa as a 1k?
I've flown both routes a few times. The EWR-BOM (and vv) appears to be the 2nd hardest in the network to clear (SFO-SIN is #1 ). EWR-DEL is marginally easier, but #3 in difficulty for me. I am GS, so I am guessing it is even tougher for 1K.
Old Sep 22, 17, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
I've flown both routes a few times. The EWR-BOM (and vv) appears to be the 2nd hardest in the network to clear (SFO-SIN is #1 ). EWR-DEL is marginally easier, but #3 in difficulty for me. I am GS, so I am guessing it is even tougher for 1K.
Yes, DEL easier than BOM for sure...many times they have award seats available as well for *A partners.

However, if you really want to clear, plan to travel Monday to Wednesday ex-BOM - loads are usually less in biz...

Search this Thread