Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The automated "Fasten your seat belts" announcement has changed!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

Noticed this on my last 2 PMCO 777 flights last week over the pond.

The former obnoxious "Ladies and gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign, please return to your seats blah blah blah blah blah" -- always followed by an FA saying the exact same thing.

Now, in a softer male voice, the automated message just says, "Please fasten your seat belts." Still followed up by an FA announcement.

For how often UA (and US airlines) turn on the seat belt sign, this is a good thing!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Fantastic news. I hated that announcement: the tone was offensive and the volume was absurd.
goodeats21 and tuolumne like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Noticed this on my last 2 PMCO 777 flights last week over the pond.
Also noticed on a PS 752 and a 744 this weekend. I think they've unveiled systemwide. Very pleasant change -- the first time I heard it, the voice was so soft that I presumed the automaton was down and the pilot was substituting his own voice
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by sfo789
Also noticed on a PS 752 and a 744 this weekend. I think they've unveiled systemwide. Very pleasant change -- the first time I heard it, the voice was so soft that I presumed the automaton was down and the pilot was substituting his own voice
Please tell me this annoying announcement has not spread to pmUA planes. pmUA 777, 737 didn't have it this week.

787 i just got off has the same way too long message
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

77W has the soft male voice but it is not the short version - the FA repeats in 2nd language.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I swear, I have nightmares being woken up to this if I happen to doze off with headphones on...

Ladies and gentlemen. The captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please return to your seats, and fasten your seatbelts.
Thank you.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also noticed on a PS 752 and a 744 this weekend. I think they've unveiled systemwide.D
That's a negative change if true. The pmUA aircraft did not have automated seatbelt announcements.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a negative change if true. The pmUA aircraft did not have automated seatbelt announcements.
Had it on both of my 744 flights last week
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Sadly I do recall it happening several times. I rarely fly the 744 (ex-SFO I tend to take the later 772 to LHR or connect in IAH/ORD), so I didn't notice that prior 744 flights didn't have the automated voice. I found this one pretty inoffensive on both my PS flight and the 744 though.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
I swear, I have nightmares being woken up to this if I happen to doze off with headphones on...

Ladies and gentlemen. The captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please return to your seats, and fasten your seatbelts.
Thank you.
Same. While I appreciate the flight deck being proactive and not simply leaving the fasten seat belt sign on for the entire flight, I'd rather be able to sleep during an overnight flight, sans announcement.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I rarely fly the 744 (ex-SFO I tend to take the later 772 to LHR or connect in IAH/ORD), so I didn't notice that prior 744 flights didn't have the automated voice.
Purely a CO thing. I believe they put it in with the updated electronics when they converted the sUA 752s to 28J, and the recent deliveries (787s and 77W) also have it.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:32 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Purely a CO thing. I believe they put it in with the updated electronics when they converted the sUA 752s to 28J, and the recent deliveries (787s and 77W) also have it.
Also the sUA 772 Hawaii configuration have this now.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

This is good news, considering that SOP for UA seems to be to put the seatbelt sign on whenever there is the slightest hint of the plane moving in any other direction than strictly forward. On any given flight, this DING - LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE CAPTAIN... announcement causes people to wake up multiple times.

Meanwhile, most Rest-of-World carriers I've flown on seem to follow a policy of "turn seatbelt sign off at 10k feet and do not reengage until final approach, unless the plane is upside down"...
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by avi8tir
The former obnoxious "Ladies and gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign, please return to your seats blah blah blah blah blah" -- always followed by an FA saying the exact same thing.

Now, in a softer male voice, the automated message just says, "Please fasten your seat belts." Still followed up by an FA announcement.
One Step Forward.

Two Steps Backward.

Typical United.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:54 pm

Whoever did this, can you PLEASE get them to turn down the volume on that obnoxious, look how funny we are, safety video? I lose some hearing every time it plays!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.