Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does (should) UA have a policy on dogs poopin in the lavs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does (should) UA have a policy on dogs poopin in the lavs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
Guess again!

I started a thread because I saw a pax carry a canine into the lavatory, and I wondered whether United had a policy on animals in its aircraft lavatories.

Yes, I did speculate about what went on in there, and no I did not go in and personally inspect the results. But do I have a legitimate question about animals aircraft in rest rooms?

Try a thought experiment. What if you were in any restaurant or hotel and saw somebody carrying a dog into the men's or ladies' bathroom. Wouldn't you be curious about whether such behavior was within hotel/city/board of health regulations ?
Well, a restroom seems more appropriate for an animal than out on the restaurant floor where the actual food is. And what do you want them to do, just lave the animal alone while they use the restroom on the plane, in a restaurant, in a hotel? Should the owner not be allowed to use the lav because they have an animal that might misbehave while they are away? This should be part of your "thought experiment".
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Well, a restroom seems more appropriate for an animal than out on the restaurant floor where the actual food is. And what do you want them to do, just lave the animal alone while they use the restroom on the plane, in a restaurant, in a hotel? Should the owner not be allowed to use the lav because they have an animal that might misbehave while they are away? This should be part of your "thought experiment".
Look, if there's no issue or concern about animals relieving themselves in human restrooms, then why are airports wasting space and money on creating and maintaining "Animal relief" areas?

Now I know that the inside of an aircraft is a different environment, and that a different solution would be needed. I do have an idea about a potential solution but I wondered if any FTer knew whether United had an existing policy before I jumped in with my two cents.

I should have anticipated that the issue of animal behavior on board aircraft would stoke the flames from those who are passionate about animals' rights. But I still hope to have a conversation on the topic where people don't condemn one another at the drop of a keystroke.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Was the dog seated in F? They should definitely not allow Y dogs in the F lav.
Larrude, username, EdV and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look, if there's no issue or concern about animals relieving themselves in human restrooms, then why are airports wasting space and money on creating and maintaining "Animal relief" areas?

Now I know that the inside of an aircraft is a different environment, and that a different solution would be needed. I do have an idea about a potential solution but I wondered if any FTer knew whether United had an existing policy before I jumped in with my two cents.

I should have anticipated that the issue of animal behavior on board aircraft would stoke the flames from those who are passionate about animals' rights. But I still hope to have a conversation on the topic where people don't condemn one another at the drop of a keystroke.
Believe me, I am no animal lover and don't have pets and don't want pets. I just think about the realities. If you have a solution, by all means, present it. I can't stand the proliferation of "emotional support" animals on planes by people who just want to avoid the pet fee. There are legitimate needs for them but they should be regulated like true service animals, not be able to get a letter from some quack doctor for $50 then buy a stupid vest online and boom, emotional support animal and you have to let it onboard, in a restaurant, etc, etc. And those 90% fake ones make it real difficult for the 10% that have a true need. But in a confined tube, reality is animals need to relieve themselves too and just saying, as someone else did, make them wait until on the ground, is not realistic. So if you have a solution, present it and maybe the airlines will pick up on it. Until then, where else are they going to go?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Two categories of animals in the cabin. Each has their own rules.

Pets in cabin

Service animals (including emotional support)

I'm not aware of any detailed rules regarding how an onboard animal should relief itself.

If the appropriate documentation is presented, an airline can not deny a passenger's assistance animal.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doggie diapers?
Collierkr likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Believe me, I am no animal lover and don't have pets and don't want pets. I just think about the realities. If you have a solution, by all means, present it. I can't stand the proliferation of "emotional support" animals on planes by people who just want to avoid the pet fee. There are legitimate needs for them but they should be regulated like true service animals, not be able to get a letter from some quack doctor for $50 then buy a stupid vest online and boom, emotional support animal and you have to let it onboard, in a restaurant, etc, etc. And those 90% fake ones make it real difficult for the 10% that have a true need. But in a confined tube, reality is animals need to relieve themselves too and just saying, as someone else did, make them wait until on the ground, is not realistic. So if you have a solution, present it and maybe the airlines will pick up on it. Until then, where else are they going to go?
OK - so here goes: I think that aircraft are going to need to have one lav designated for occasional animal relief. It should be designated, and announced in the spiel that few people listen to about using the lavs in your ticketed cabin and not congregating in the galleys. It should have a large logo on the door, perhaps there is a standard pictogram ? And flight attendants should enforce keeping animals out of the other lavs.

I think that the animal relief lav should be the one farthest away from any galley, wherever that is practicable. And I don't think it should be the forward for safety reasons - we want to keep animals away from the cockpit area and the forward galley, lest Fters think I'm being needlessly elitist.

And to answer Kacee's earlier question, the lady carrying the canine did come up front from the economy seats. And this was right when the FA's were serving dinner in the front!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - so here goes: I think that aircraft are going to need to have one lav designated for occasional animal relief. It should be designated, and announced in the spiel that few people listen to about using the lavs in your ticketed cabin and not congregating in the galleys. It should have a large logo on the door, perhaps there is a standard pictogram ? And flight attendants should enforce keeping animals out of the other lavs.

I think that the animal relief lav should be the one farthest away from any galley, wherever that is practicable. And I don't think it should be the forward for safety reasons - we want to keep animals away from the cockpit area and the forward galley, lest Fters think I'm being needlessly elitist.

And to answer Kacee's earlier question, the lady carrying the canine did come up front from the economy seats. And this was right when the FA's were serving dinner in the front!
That sounds quite reasonable and probably doable easily from an airline perspective. Though making it the farthest from the galley is really only practical on the larger narrow bodies and wide bodies. The smaller narrow bodies it is either right at the coach galley or at the F galley. But thank you. Now if you just present it to the airlines maybe something will happen, in 2-3 years.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
How are some people able to completely ignore reality ?

animals piss and .... just like you do ..
I don't recall ever lifting my leg and urinating on a fire hydrant or a car tire.

YMMV

Answer was provided above. Animals belong in the hold. Hose out the kennel(s) as needed.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
Answer was provided above. Animals belong in the hold. Hose out the kennel(s) as needed.
There are legitimate needs for animals in the cabin. Some of those are free and some are paid. I don't think the paid ones are a legitimate need, but UA sets the policy and wants the fee. As for the legitimate need ones, true service dogs and the 10% of emotional support animals that are truly emotional support animals, they need to relieve themselves once in a while just like a human does. I very much doubt the person you so snidely responded to meant you lift a leg and go on a fire hydrant.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Was the dog seated in F? They should definitely not allow Y dogs in the F lav.
shadow10-8 and NoLaGent like this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Two categories of animals in the cabin. Each has their own rules.

Pets in cabin

Service animals (including emotional support)

I'm not aware of any detailed rules regarding how an onboard animal should relief itself.

If the appropriate documentation is presented, an airline can not deny a passenger's assistance animal.
To summarize, pets brought in the cabin must remain in their kennel under the seat. If the pet is in the kennel and the kennel is under the seat then they can not be in the lavatory, galley, cockpit, or other areas of the aircraft.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Houston
To summarize, pets brought in the cabin must remain in their kennel under the seat. If the pet is in the kennel and the kennel is under the seat then they can not be in the lavatory, galley, cockpit, or other areas of the aircraft.
well, you only addressed the Pets in Cabin link and not the Service Animals link. Service and ESA's don't have to be in a kennel unless the owner decides to. Only stipulates they must be at their feet and not protrude into the aisle. There is nothing in either link addressing the pet going to the bathroom.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Why can't we be like EU and stick with ADA type animals. Even as a retired military, I don't know where the line is PTSD vs ADA etc, but no matter what. Some people need to either think pets go in the cargo or drive to their destination.
This. x1000. Too many people are scamming the system all because they don't want to pay extra to put their pet in the hold - where it belongs.
elbejt2 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
This. x1000. Too many people are scamming the system all because they don't want to pay extra to put their pet in the hold - where it belongs.
I agree. I only think an animal should be in the cabin if there is a 1000% legitimate need for it. But, if there is that legitimate need for it there should be some sort of accommodation for it's bodily functions. It's just cruel to force it to hold it until after off the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.