Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines left mom in wheelchair stranded in New Jersey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines left mom in wheelchair stranded in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I thought airlines couldn't give out info if a passenger boarded a flight or not? My friend was coming to see me around 2012, just lost his phone the night before but was able to send me a quick email. I think it was AA I call but they said they can't give out that type of info even though I had his conf # and all other info (I booked the flight).
That would mean that the accuracy of the son's account is suspect?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
That would mean that the accuracy of the son's account is suspect?
About everything from the son is suspect as the son wasn't there.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Artpen100
One simple response would be that if you request a wheelchair, you have to represent whether or not you need an assistant and if you answer "no", you agree the airline is not liable for anything related to not having an assistant. The one time I arranged for a wheelchair for an elderly relative a couple of years ago, on UA, I don't recall having to do that. But I also put that relative on a direct flight in first with another family member.

As it is, it would appear in this case, so long as they checked up on her every half hour, UA met what was required. It remains that it is foolish not to have a family member accompany someone not capable of taking care of themself.
That's a ton of unnecessary work and bureaucracy for a limited problem. A form means that it has to be reviewed and stored somewhere and, given this issue, ought to be completed in the presence of a UA employee in order to assure that, as happened here, the son didn't just turf mom off to a wheelchair pusher.

There are fully competent people in wheelchairs -- teenagers with a broken leg -- and people bordering on incompetent who are physically fine.

This was a totally avoidable scene solely caused by OP's son. T

People ask what more could be done. The answer is simple. Don't book people who get "confused" onto international connections without having arrangements for assistance. Sure, OP's son saved a few bucks and maybe those few bucks mattered to him. But, it is still the passenger's responsibility.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Baze
About everything from the son is suspect as the son wasn't there.
Well, then the implications of the media report is suspect. If you can't trust what you read or see, we're in serious trouble.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regardless whose fault it is, it makes me sad to hear this story. We all need to help our elderly more.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
What scares me most in this whole post is that 77 is considered elderly! I get closer to that number every day!

(Ok - I'm in my 40's, but still!)
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Well, then the implications of the media report is suspect. If you can't trust what you read or see, we're in serious trouble.
Most media is suspect. Look how many media outlets have been caught fabricating stories, or only giving half truths about stories. I trust very little media. I try and go to many sources and then gleen my own idea of the story. Don't believe everything you read just because it came from the media.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
If a media report is simply reporting what a person has said then the report is no more trustworthy than the person whom they are quoting. I'm sure the son believed he was reporting the facts accurately but much of it was hearsay by that point. He really didn't know. That's why a journalist is supposed to fact check and get multiple sources.

Of course, this really isn't much of a story in the news world so don't know how much effort a reporter is going to put into verifying statements. That leaves it up to the reader to apply a bit of common sense.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
One simple response would be that if you request a wheelchair, you have to represent whether or not you need an assistant and if you answer "no", you agree the airline is not liable for anything related to not having an assistant.
If UA had a legal problem here, that might possibly be useful. But I don't think they do, they have perhaps a PR problem. No amount of forms is going to shed their heartless image.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.