Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines left mom in wheelchair stranded in New Jersey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K

I was sent this article this morning

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20..._stranded.html
Originally Posted by enviroian
Mom got bumped off a LHR bound flight
UA offered hotel, Mom refused
She wants an apology
I'd like to know more details, but on face value there appears to be negligence by UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 2017 at 12:34 pm Reason: summary added
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
United offered a hotel to her and to get her there and back, but she refused.
Absent the logic of bumping someone in a wheelchair (let's not get into the common-sense approach of ignoring a computer for IBD), I don't see negligence.
DutchessPDX and seat38a like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Absent the logic of bumping someone in a wheelchair
Not just a wheelchair pax, but a 77 yr old wheerchair pax.

EWR. That pretty much says it all.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absent the logic of bumping someone in a wheelchair (let's not get into the common-sense approach of ignoring a computer for IBD), I don't see negligence.
According to the post-Dao policy, passengers with disabilities are expressly excluded from being IDB'ed. I really hope there's more to this story.

Customers with special needs (unaccompanied minors, passengers with disabilities) are excluded and are not involuntarily denied boarding.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
The whole story just sounds incredible, not least the son who let a mentally incapacitated parent -- one incapable of using a mobile phone or contacting a United agent (?!) -- take an international flight with a connection alone.

Still, if UA really did IDB a confused, wheelchair-bound woman against its express policies, it had better refund the full amount of her ticket.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can you summarise the article rather than just posting a link please (as per FT policy).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can you summarise the article rather than just posting a link please (as per FT policy).
She wants an apology
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Another article said that she was mentally confused, and unable to use a cell phone.

While UA may have handled it badly (the update to the article seems to indicate, though, that the woman refused their help, and they periodically checked up on her), I would at least equally blame the relative who put an elderly family member, wheel-chair bound and incapable, on an international flight with a connection by herself. That is borderline abusive. Who would do such a thing? And it is not as if there are not multiple IAD-LHR direct flights every day.
FlyingNone, seat38a and 8MiHi like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by enviroian
She wants an apology
It's a pretty humane thing to bump off a 77-year old wheelchair pax, even for the standards of a disgustingly underachieving company like UA.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
Could also be titled: "Man abandons impaired, wheelchair-bound mother at airport."
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
United offered a hotel to her and to get her there and back, but she refused...
That point is disputed:

“Basically she was left at the gate for 12 hours,” Williams said. “They offered her a hotel that was miles away. She had to get there on her own steam. There’s no way my mom could have pushed a wheelchair at her age, so she sat there.”
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
According to the post-Dao policy, passengers with disabilities are expressly excluded from being IDB'ed. I really hope there's more to this story.
You would have thought the GA would have been aware of that (although I wasn't).

Thread title was copy + pasted - I was rushing - the fact that she is a mom is irrelevant. A better title maybe is:

77 year old wheelchair bound lady was IDB'd and left at gate for 12 hrs?

I read another article which said that she was offered a hotel room but was not offered assistance to get there (which she apparently required).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
in the comments section for NJ.com, someone was calling the report - despite UA already apologizing and saying it would investigate - fake news.

The pithy response was: "another person was victimized by United Airlines, of course its true"

But you really have to wonder about UA's EWR staff. Where does United hire people who IBD a 77 year old woman in a wheelchair? Then make no arrangements to help her get to a far away hotel? Put aside that its a violation of UA's own published post-Dao policy, its just ghastly.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
That point is disputed:
“Basically she was left at the gate for 12 hours,” Williams said. “They offered her a hotel that was miles away. She had to get there on her own steam. There’s no way my mom could have pushed a wheelchair at her age, so she sat there.”
Not really. She would have gotten a wheelchair to the taxi / shuttle, and presumably once she got to the counter in the morning (or possibly even at the shuttle door). That's as far as I would reasonably expect UA's requirement of care to extend. Once any on-property hotel options are exhausted, the distance away doesn't really matter if she's not able to get herself in and out of a hotel shuttle.

Originally Posted by spin88
in the comments section for NJ.com, someone was calling the report - despite UA already apologizing and saying it would investigate - fake news.

The pithy response was: "another person was victimized by United Airlines, of course its true"

But you really have to wonder about UA's EWR staff. Where does United hire people who IBD a 77 year old woman in a wheelchair? Then make no arrangements to help her get to a far away hotel? Put aside that its a violation of UA's own published post-Dao policy, its just ghastly.
Neither an apology nor an investigation (nor a $1000 voucher, which the linked story says was offered) is an admittance of guilt. Everyone is speculating that she was IDB'ed, despite the fact that it would be against policy (and heartless), but that's based upon an assertion -- and even the guy making the assertion (the son) says he "doesn't know why" she was bumped.

What if she was "bumped" because the flight was cancelled? That's the only interpretation that really seems to make sense to me, barring additional information.

(And, yes, if she is "easily confused" -- the son's words -- why on earth would you have her connect through Newark, of all places?)

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 14, 2017 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I would have thought United wised up after they bumped a Pearl Harbor Survivor on the way to the annual commemoration. That was a real dozy. For those who forgot about that classic:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...u-bound-flight

I think this story will get more coverage, any good UA shafts customer story gets lots of press these days.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Not really. She would have gotten a wheelchair to the taxi / shuttle, and presumably once she got to the counter in the morning (or possibly even at the shuttle door). That's as far as I would reasonably expect UA's requirement of care to extend. Once any on-property hotel options are exhausted, the distance away doesn't really matter if she's not able to get herself in and out of a hotel shuttle.

Neither an apology nor an investigation (nor a $1000 voucher, which the linked story says was offered) is an admittance of guilt. Everyone is speculating that she was IDB'ed, despite the fact that it would be against policy (and heartless), but that's based upon an assertion -- and even the guy making the assertion (the son) says he "doesn't know why" she was bumped.

What if she was "bumped" because the flight was cancelled? That's the only interpretation that really seems to make sense to me, barring additional information.

(And, yes, if she is "easily confused" -- the son's words -- why on earth would you have her connect through Newark, of all places?)
Are you seriously suggesting that when Mutliple media outfits/bloggers contact United United would just - gee wizz - forget to say that the flight was cancelled? Come on.

United has made very clear that this was an IDB: See e.g. http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....hair-12-hours/

I also don't for one second think a woman would have sat in her wheel chair for 12 hours if United had offered to help her get to/from a hotel and took care of her.

The reporting unfortunately rings true of the worst hub airport in the United States.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 2017 at 1:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.