FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Family Day 2017 Tickets available to TPG readers, but not FT? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1866734-family-day-2017-tickets-available-tpg-readers-but-not-ft.html)

IADFlyer123 Sep 13, 2017 11:51 am

Family Day 2017 Tickets available to TPG readers, but not FT?

Just saw FB posts from TPG - apparently, UA has given 50 tickets to TPG for the upcoming Family Day in October. In previous years, FT was given tickets by UAInsider. But seems like that team ceased to exist and no love to FT this year? TPG's contest is too much work for a ticket :D

villox Sep 13, 2017 11:55 am

It seems that TPG and United have established quite a formal relationship over the past year, ever since the Polaris launch.

ORDnHKG Sep 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Didn‘t JC1120 had done a charity event to benefit the UA retirees as well last year for family day ? Haven‘t seen anything this year neither.

At this point if no news from UA Insider, i am willing to pay just to get in. (If there is a way)

P.S. Yes i agree the one from TPG is too much work to get 1 of 50 chance, not to mentinon TPG has thousands of followers

Kacee Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 28811499)
It seems that TPG and United have established quite a formal relationship over the past year, ever since the Polaris launch.

Marketing posing as journalism.

halls120 Sep 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28811908)
Marketing posing as journalism.

I don't think anyone mistakes TPG as journalism.

Xyzzy Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 28811842)
Didn‘t JC1120 had done a charity event to benefit the UA retirees as well last year for family day ? Haven‘t seen anything this year neither.

At this point if no news from UA Insider, i am willing to pay just to get in. (If there is a way)

P.S. Yes i agree the one from TPG is too much work to get 1 of 50 chance, not to mentinon TPG has thousands of followers

JC1120 JEdward and I run Frequent Flyer Giving. This charity Raises money for the United We Care Employee Relief Fund -- a UA charity whose mission is to assist employees in need. In the past we have had tickets to Family Day. I do not believe we have tickets this year. We are, however, running an event in Denver the day before. The FlyerTalk page f:eek:r that event is here.

Kacee Sep 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 28812128)
I don't think anyone mistakes TPG as journalism.

I'm sure many undoubtedly mistake the advice as unbiased. Which is what journalism is supposed to be.

RandomBaritone Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28812508)
I'm sure many undoubtedly mistake the advice as unbiased. Which is what journalism is supposed to be.

To be fair, the reviews posted on TPG are not vetted by the airlines before they are posted, and in that sense are truly unbiased journalism. Some of them, especially recently, have been quite scathing. It's not as if United or anyone else is paying for good reviews.

But of course you're right that United has entered into a marketing relationship with TPG, and that blurs the lines somewhat. It's akin to a newspaper selling ad space to a company while it covers them on the front page. Even when the sales and news departments are wholly disconnected from each other, some percentage of the readership refuses to believe it.

luv2ctheworld Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm

A bit of a disappointment that FT'ers, the very community that gave greater awareness to the airlines and social media, has not been given consideration.

Though to be fair, there's still time, as well as the fact the UA FT community is certainly more dedicated than the average TPG reader whose main focus is on points earning/spending than anything specific to UA. So it would be likely a much larger number of people would wind up trying to attend.

Well, I can only hope that we'll be invited... and if not, I will still have my upcoming SFO-PVG flight in 1K the weekend before to bid my private farewell.

jayzala Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

I don't have a twitter :( I wonder if they would even select me if I get a twitter account and don't have any followers.

fumje Sep 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Didn't TPG post a goofy disparaging article about Polaris relatively soon after its roll-out?

fgirard Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28812508)

Rule #1 . If, before every article, there is a disclaimer about credit cards, points, and general schilling, it isn't journalism.

tom911 Sep 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Even on established sites, it’s not always clear who’s in charge. The Points Guy, which is home to Brian Kelly, is one such example. In 2012, Mr. Kelly sold The Points Guy to Bankrate, a publicly traded company that publishes and promotes financial content.
https://skift.com/2014/12/01/the-blu...ravel-writers/

Could Bankrate and UA have some type of relationship?

RandomBaritone Sep 14, 2017 6:31 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 28813120)
Didn't TPG post a goofy disparaging article about Polaris relatively soon after its roll-out?

As I mentioned in post 8, TPG's reviews of Polaris have been both good and bad, as you would expect from an organization with a genuine editorial mission. Of course they also exist to make money, hence the tension that has existed in every for-profit content enterprise ever conceived.

But again, some of their UA reviews in 2017 have been critical in the extreme. Here's another:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/uni...tomer-service/

And yet just a few months earlier, they ran the puff piece to end all puff pieces:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/first-polaris-biz-77w/

But even long-established media companies run both types of articles. In other words, it's complicated.

halls120 Sep 14, 2017 6:55 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28814482)

But even long-established media companies run both types of articles. In other words, it's complicated.

If you're a true journalist, you don't write puff pieces. It isn't complicated at all.

AceReport Sep 14, 2017 7:58 am

I have noticed a significant lessening of TPGs anti-UA rants of late.... ;)

RandomBaritone Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 28814549)
If you're a true journalist, you don't write puff pieces. It isn't complicated at all.

With all due respect, TPG is not the work of one "true journalist" but a team of professional writers assigned articles by an editor-in-chief. Had you looked at the links I provided, you would have noticed that, for example, the puff piece was written by a different person than the critical review that followed it.

I understand that everyone wants review sites to be as objective and dispassionate as Consumer Reports; the problem is everyone also expects online content to be free. Those two aims are rarely compatible. The solution is to provide clear indication when something is a review, a piece of reporting, an interview, etc.

What rankles most is that TPG is going out of their way to provide critical -- at times even hypercritical -- reviews, but some readers refuse to accept it.

BThumme Sep 14, 2017 12:59 pm

I had to sign up for twitter just to make an account to enter. I'm getting really anxious about some 747 farewell activity. This seems like my best chance to make sure I can be part of something 747 related, since it's still unknown if ICN-SFO will be the last 747 flight (which is already sold out in biz and first).

ORDnHKG Sep 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 28815941)
This seems like my best chance to make sure I can be part of something 747 related, since it's still unknown if ICN-SFO will be the last 747 flight (which is already sold out in biz and first).

Meanwhile the one way fare in Y is very affordable (ICN-SFO-ORD instead of ICN-SFO)

BThumme Sep 14, 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 28816233)
Meanwhile the one way fare in Y is very affordable (ICN-SFO-ORD instead of ICN-SFO)

I think i might do this. I can do DTW-SFO-ICN in biz class for 70k miles, get to experience the UD. two days in ICN then ICN-SFO-ORD (and ORD-DTW separately)

Imstevek Sep 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 28812637)
A bit of a disappointment that FT'ers, the very community that gave greater awareness to the airlines and social media, has not been given consideration.

Though to be fair, there's still time, as well as the fact the UA FT community is certainly more dedicated than the average TPG reader whose main focus is on points earning/spending than anything specific to UA. So it would be likely a much larger number of people would wind up trying to attend.

Well, I can only hope that we'll be invited... and if not, I will still have my upcoming SFO-PVG flight in 1K the weekend before to bid my private farewell.

I think you've made a bad assumption re: FT. Any casual visit here in the past 1-3 years by a United exec would see some rather irrational commentary trashing their airline and not a lot of benefit of the doubt (read today's EWR IDB thread as the latest example) in any situation. I'd be reluctant to reward that type of behavior of a community where the threads are typically trending negative.

IADFlyer123 Sep 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Imstevek (Post 28817046)
I think you've made a bad assumption re: FT. Any casual visit here in the past 1-3 years by a United exec would see some rather irrational commentary trashing their airline and not a lot of benefit of the doubt (read today's EWR IDB thread as the latest example) in any situation. I'd be reluctant to reward that type of behavior of a community where the threads are typically trending negative.

If that's the case then they definitely shouldn't reward TPG readers as the site as well as their readers frequently bash UA on every possible media.

luv2ctheworld Sep 16, 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek (Post 28817046)

Many of us who have been long time active members of the community have had a much more productive relationships in the past. I have had brand ambassadors reach out to me on FT or I have reached out to them for questions or issues.

There have always been irrational commentaries on here; it is the nature of the forums. The popularity of FT has certainly brought in more people, it also has increased the noise/complaints of some things. Overall, it was not a UA exec that would be engaged/reading these (at least not publicly identifying/answering posts).

We used to have much better engagements several years ago. And some other forums still do. For example, Starwood Lurker (iterations of) have participated in FT events and gatherings. This is a community that, in general, respects the brand/company that we do business with.

I suspect the disengagement may stem from a focus on other social media platforms like Twitter. Although that is a more recognized platform, the demographics on those users are not comparable in terms of knowledge, quality, or interest. However, it is an easy platform for UA to broadcast their marketing/announcements.

So given a limited amount of resources, I wouldn't be surprised if they disengaged from here and moved over to somewhere else with a greater audience (albeit different audience).

halls120 Sep 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28815497)
With all due respect, TPG is not the work of one "true journalist" but a team of professional writers assigned articles by an editor-in-chief. Had you looked at the links I provided, you would have noticed that, for example, the puff piece was written by a different person than the critical review that followed it.

I agree. TPG staff are professional writers, not journalists.

diburning Sep 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Well, FT's front page seems to like to post clickbait garbage that will name United when the piece is negative, but won't name other airlines if it's negative and about them. I am willing to bet that this is partially to blame. Frugal Travel Guy (which is also owned by Internet Brands and has been putting out grade A garbage, albeit not as much as TPG), which is where the front page of FT cross-posts their articles from, seems to not have "grown up" from the Dr Dao incident and appears to put United down at every opportunity in an attempt at a shock piece. FT itself (not the community) may have burned the bridges for us.

As far as forum content goes, we have always been (on the most part) pro-consumer (although acting within the airline's rules and within the airline's or the industry's established procedures). I'm sure any United reps that are involved here on FT are involved because of the sheer number of top tier elites that participate here, and not because we're doing them any favors.

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 28823538)
I agree. TPG staff are professional writers, not journalists.

Even then, the definition of "writer" is quite loose. The excrement that TPG puts out almost makes "writer" a synonym for "shill."

ORDnHKG Sep 30, 2017 8:01 pm

Did anyone from here that entered into the drawing from TPG ever heard anything back ? I didn‘t and was wonder if it is because I am not selected.

expert7700 Sep 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 28878956)
Did anyone from here that entered into the drawing from TPG ever heard anything back ? I didn‘t and was wonder if it is because I am not selected.

Notifications were sent out last week via twitter Direct Message with rsvp and guest details due yesterday (Friday) 9am pst.

I almost missed out all despite being among the 50 they selected.

Apparently they only sent out winning notices to those who had clicked to 'follow' TPG on twitter. I didn't do that, but had instead lowered twitter security to 'accept DMs from all users'.

ORDnHKG Sep 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 28879114)
Notifications were sent out last week via twitter Direct Message with rsvp and guest details due yesterday (Friday) 9am pst.

I almost missed out all despite being among the 50 they selected.

Apparently they only sent out winning notices to those who had clicked to 'follow' TPG on twitter. I didn't do that, but had instead lowered twitter security to 'accept DMs from all users'.

I guess i should have asked who can guess me into the event instead earlier.

With no luck getting to the family day, not to mention already bought the ticket way ahead (guess i am going to throw away the $250+ ticket from ORD, really no point to go to SFO right now as this is my only reason to go there), missed the last 744 flight on Nov 7th, really in a bad bad mood right now.:(

tom911 Sep 30, 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 28879307)
really no point to go to SFO right now as this is my only reason to go there

Doesn't this coincide with Fleet Week and the Blue Angels flying?

Seby12 Sep 30, 2017 11:37 pm

I was really looking forward to going this year. Having always been gone when it happens. Hopefully next year.

Fleet week will still be awesome.

P.S. If anyone has 2 extra tickets please don’t hesitate to tell.;)

ORDnHKG Sep 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 28879319)
Doesn't this coincide with Fleet Week and the Blue Angels flying?

Have no interest in navy ships or military jets, and if i want to see blue angels, i can see them at the air and water show in chicago where I live every year in August. Hotels are expensive during fleet week anyway, no point to waste money on that

Originally Posted by Seby12 (Post 28879334)
I was really looking forward to going this year. Having always been gone when it happens. Hopefully next year.

Fleet week will still be awesome.

P.S. If anyone has 2 extra tickets please don’t hesitate to tell.;)

i really want to go this year because they had already said two 744 would be on display, next year would be none

tom911 Sep 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 28879357)
Have no interest in navy ships or military jets, and if i want to see blue angels, i can see them at the air and water show in chicago where I live every year in August.

United is scheduled to fly during the airshow portion. Would not be surprised to see the 747 make a final appearance there.

ORDnHKG Oct 1, 2017 12:04 am

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 28879371)
United is scheduled to fly during the airshow portion. Would not be surprised to see the 747 make a final appearance there.

In order to capture that , one need a camera that has at least 300mm lens to capture that which I don‘t have, not to mention i had seen the low flyby preiously in fleet week, or even in youtube, but nothing beat to see them upclose and places that normally are photos forbidden.