Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

More Summer 2018 Seasonal: EWR-KEF/OPO; IAD-EDI; SFO-ZRH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Summer 2018 Seasonal: EWR-KEF/OPO; IAD-EDI; SFO-ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by N104UA
It is interesting that on EWR-KEF they are marketing business as Polaris where IAH-LIM is an hour longer flight time and is just 'Business'. The only bummer to this short flight time is that you are 1/2 way done with the flight when you finish dinner.
Being such a late departure I wonder if they'd offer a smaller snack after takeoff and the more substantial breakfast type meal before arrival? Regardless it's a good opportunity to take advantage of dining in the Polaris lounge before the flight.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I am more curious what happens to all these planes when summer ends! Do they go in for maintenance or just get used on hub-hub hops?
Possibly just increased utilization in the summer with better weather?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
EWR-OPO (752) May 4-Oct. 3
9:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m.
12:35 p.m. - 1:35 p.m.
This westbound timing doesn't seem right. The press release says OPO-EWR is an eight hour flight, but with a five hour time change, these departure and arrival times would indicate only a six hour flight.

Am I missing something?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96
This westbound timing doesn't seem right. The press release says OPO-EWR is an eight hour flight, but with a five hour time change, these departure and arrival times would indicate only a six hour flight.

Am I missing something?
Padding for EWR arrival?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Am I missing something?
Very common for the eastbound to be shorter than the westbound. Jetstream.

TAP flights are blocked at 6:45 eastbound, 8:05 westbound.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Very common for the eastbound to be shorter than the westbound. Jetstream.

TAP flights are blocked at 6:45 eastbound, 8:05 westbound.
I don't think you understood my post.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you understood my post.
It's a typo in the press release. The schedule loaded into the reservation system shows a 3:35 PM arrival into EWR, not 1:35 PM. 8 hours is the correct duration.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
We then spent a week touring around Iceland and had an amazing time. The people are lovely and the food is amazing. I don't think this is a bubble. Just stay away from the tourist shops. The same stuff you'd pay $15 for is $2.50 at Bonus.
Yeah, the trip to take in Iceland is the circle trip around the ring for about a week. After a couple nights in Reykjavik (staying on points at the Radisson Blu) we rented private cottages along the way and cooked. Annoying that hosts often require you to bring linens and towels, or pay a lot extra. I would describe lodging prices as 25% more than typical in mainland Europe, now perhaps 30% with the worse exchange rate and the continued crazy growth in tourist arrivals "bidding" for the same accommodations. Supermarket food isn't particularly expensive, but the selection isn't exciting. This is no gourmet paradise, at least at any price point that makes sense. I would describe Icelandic scenery as excellent, but there's a lot of excellent scenery in the world -- many with better food and lower prices -- and a return trip wouldn't be high on my list absent what I assume will be crazy low airfares (and relative ease of visiting with all the new flights). This is a place for folks who like wilderness and simplicity; I'm skeptical it's a mass market destination, which is what all these flights are implying.

Originally Posted by exerda
Same here, though Iceland is incredibly hit-or-miss for the northern lights given the amount of cloud cover. None of my friends had any luck this past winter; they loved the trips, but never saw the sky the whole time.
Originally Posted by milepig
The lure of prices on Icelanic or WOW from Boston for a short flight is hard to resist.
It seems like most of the folks who have headed to Fairbanks to see the northern lights have had the same bad luck. I'm not a huge fan of bitter cold, so I've always hesitated from making the trip. But if the fare is below $200 and a 5-hour flight, I could be tempted to try. Again, though, I think this is a trip that's worthwhile for only a small subset of travelers.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's a typo in the press release. The schedule loaded into the reservation system shows a 3:35 PM arrival into EWR, not 1:35 PM. 8 hours is the correct duration.
Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by symphonicman
Possibly just increased utilization in the summer with better weather?
Airlines typically use the slower winter season to perform more maintenance or otherwise lower fleet utilization. The 763s are going to get the new Polaris seats on an aggressive schedule now that the peak summer season is ending, for example. United also has wifi hardware upgrades planned that should be quick but need to be scheduled and tested and such. The slower winter season makes that much easier.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Really impressed by UA's frequencies to Scotland. I think they're now operating out of three hubs (ORD, EWR, and IAD) with 4 total flights/day to EDI and 1/day to GLA during the summer?

Second place being DL/SkyTeam with 1x from JFK to EDI and GLA plus MCO-GLA on VS a few times per week.

Then AA/OW with only PHL-GLA and JFK-EDI?
Just remembered when I was in St. Andrews a few weeks back at the Dunvegan Pub that their staff had a united logo on the sleeve. Found it surprising that a local pub would be sponsored by a global airline. It's incredibly popular with American golf tourists, but still a surprise. Guess it makes more sense now considering how many frequencies UA is operating to Scotland.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I'll be on both the inaugural EWR-OPO as well as EWR-KEF in Polaris. I've never been on an inaugural flight and am hoping UA makes it special.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I'll be on both the inaugural EWR-OPO as well as EWR-KEF in Polaris. I've never been on an inaugural flight and am hoping UA makes it special.
It'll be the same old 752 hard product, so don't get your hopes up too high. I think I got the best of the inauguration of these routes at a rooftop event in NYC several months back.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I am curious to see how popular the OPO route will be, sounds pretty much leisure oriented and they even ran an economy miles promo so I wonder if they've had trouble filling that route so far.
I have GPUs waitlisted for 2 pax on one PNR on the EWR-OPO in late August on a Friday, two spots are already booked by other pax (i'm not talking of the usual two blocked out for the pilot on the int'l 757 etc.), but it is so far out, so hard to know how it'll do.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The standard inaugural spread is a party at the departure gate with a few speeches, snacks/drinks/cake in the gate area, balloons and maybe a little swag bag on board. Nothing over the top, but the inaugurals are usually commemorated in some way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.