Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2018 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:35 am

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this. Currently Platinum, 12k+ in spend, and have 99,700 PQM. Odds of more travel this year is low. Nothing on the books yet, and doubtful there will be. Any way to generate 300 PQM without actually getting on a plane? For 1k its probably worth 4 hours of my time to fly to EWR and back.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goduke7
... Any way to generate 300 PQM without actually getting on a plane?
Yes but it will not be cheap
Purchase PQMs now
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases.
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]

or wait until January and take the buy-up offer
last year's offers https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27803300-post36.html

How much above the PQD threshold are you?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ng-2017-a.html
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by goduke7
Just curious if anyone has any experience with this. Currently Platinum, 12k+ in spend, and have 99,700 PQM. Odds of more travel this year is low. Nothing on the books yet, and doubtful there will be. Any way to generate 300 PQM without actually getting on a plane? For 1k its probably worth 4 hours of my time to fly to EWR and back.

Thoughts?
Cheapest (dollar-wise) would be to take literally any UA operated flight since you'll get the 500 elite minimum.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: UA
PQS needed for Gold

I’m going to be short of Gold status by 3.5 PQS. I’m CLE based and would be open to a low cost PQS mileage run. Suggestions? Looking to 12/28 as fligt day.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
I’m going to be short of Gold status by 3.5 PQS. I’m CLE based and would be open to a low cost PQS mileage run. Suggestions? Looking to 12/28 as fligt day.
Dec. 28 doesn't look great but I'm seeing multiple same-day options on Dec. 24 in the $250 range, including CLE to/from RDU with stops at IAD ($260) and CLE to/from EWR with stops in IAD and RDU ($239).

EDIT: Actually, I take that back re: Dec. 28; here are four same-day segments for $310:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...LE0UA6065;a=UA

You already met the PQD requirement?

Last edited by joe_miami; Dec 3, 2017 at 10:33 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Spend for 1k

Hi,

I hit 100k ages ago, but not the 1k spend of 12k ( SUCKY idea by UA). I am now 45 dollars short of the 12k, with the end of year rapidly approaching. Is there any kind of spend that I could do, that does not require a flight ? Thx
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Is there any kind of spend that I could do, that does not require a flight ? Thx
Sorry, but that's it.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Hi,

I hit 100k ages ago, but not the 1k spend of 12k ( SUCKY idea by UA). I am now 45 dollars short of the 12k, with the end of year rapidly approaching. Is there any kind of spend that I could do, that does not require a flight ? Thx
If you have any more flights coming up, you could buy up to a higher fare class, or see if an agent will sell you an E+ seat.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Dec. 28 doesn't look great but I'm seeing multiple same-day options on Dec. 24 in the $250 range, including CLE to/from RDU with stops at IAD ($260) and CLE to/from EWR with stops in IAD and RDU ($239).

EDIT: Actually, I take that back re: Dec. 28; here are four same-day segments for $310:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...LE0UA6065;a=UA

You already met the PQD requirement?
thanks...I’ll check out your suggestions. Yes, I already met PQD requirements.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Well, since nobody has decided I need to be committed to the asylum, I seem to be finding myself quite a bit short of 1K this year. Specifically, I need 3,319 PQD and 14,939 PQM, so I'm basically in the market for a "dollar run" (don't I wish I could just run for the miles...). I still have some hope of a work trip this month, but it doesn't really look like it will be in the cards.. therefore, these are my rough constraints:

Time: would like to get back home to SFO by 11pm on Christmas Eve and wrap this up before the holidays.. I'd be willing to do an LAX turn or something to top off, but probably not go gallivanting after Christmas. Otherwise, the week before that and/or weekends are available.
Cost: I would like to try to minimize the cost beyond the actually required airfare. So long stays, expensive activities, and non-016 tickets are basically out.
Routing: Separately I also need to spend a few days in MSP some point either during or separate from this - more of a constraint of additional cost if trying to do this during peak holiday times. I have basically no interest in flying Y for more than 800mi anywhere along the way, and could probably obtain GPUs if they help.

Possible fun things to do:
- try out the new 77W
- go see new sights / a new country
- go see the aurora borealis

Fares on my radar:
- Z1RWB is an unrestricted Z fare (!) published most places in the US to GUM, which allows stopovers anywhere along the routing. A bit pricey though.
- PNC5NS SFO-BUD is a sub-3k a/i business fare to Europe (nice)

Things I'm considering:
- two days in PNI via SFO-NRT/HKG-GUM-PNI (stop) PNI-HNL-LIH-LAX (ca $3,400 but strands me in LAX and I still need to get to MSP, so pricey but fun)
- SFO-NRT-GUM-NRT-EWR-MSP-SFO stopping in either GUM or NRT; less expensive than above but I've been to both GUM and TYO before (but not GUM in daylight).
- SFO-BUD via SFO-FRA at least one direction, and do some stuff in BUD (cold)
- SFO-YVR-YXY-YVR-SFO and hope to spot the aurora (split ticket connection in YVR, but UA will plate me YVR-YXY on 016 stock)
- boring trivial solutions like SFO-BOS-SFO (see friends) or SFO/Hawaii for a weekend

I may waver on this so long that the trivial solutions are all that's left, but I was hoping to get some fun out of this beyond forking over $3.3k to keep my status. Anyone know of any other great fares to jump on or other ideas? I'm very open to suggestions
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by findark
Well, since nobody has decided I need to be committed to the asylum, I seem to be finding myself quite a bit short of 1K this year. Specifically, I need 3,319 PQD and 14,939 PQM, so I'm basically in the market for a "dollar run" (don't I wish I could just run for the miles...). I still have some hope of a work trip this month, but it doesn't really look like it will be in the cards.. therefore, these are my rough constraints:

Time: would like to get back home to SFO by 11pm on Christmas Eve and wrap this up before the holidays.. I'd be willing to do an LAX turn or something to top off, but probably not go gallivanting after Christmas. Otherwise, the week before that and/or weekends are available.
Cost: I would like to try to minimize the cost beyond the actually required airfare. So long stays, expensive activities, and non-016 tickets are basically out.
Routing: Separately I also need to spend a few days in MSP some point either during or separate from this - more of a constraint of additional cost if trying to do this during peak holiday times. I have basically no interest in flying Y for more than 800mi anywhere along the way, and could probably obtain GPUs if they help.

Possible fun things to do:
- try out the new 77W
- go see new sights / a new country
- go see the aurora borealis

Fares on my radar:
- Z1RWB is an unrestricted Z fare (!) published most places in the US to GUM, which allows stopovers anywhere along the routing. A bit pricey though.
- PNC5NS SFO-BUD is a sub-3k a/i business fare to Europe (nice)

Things I'm considering:
- two days in PNI via SFO-NRT/HKG-GUM-PNI (stop) PNI-HNL-LIH-LAX (ca $3,400 but strands me in LAX and I still need to get to MSP, so pricey but fun)
- SFO-NRT-GUM-NRT-EWR-MSP-SFO stopping in either GUM or NRT; less expensive than above but I've been to both GUM and TYO before (but not GUM in daylight).
- SFO-BUD via SFO-FRA at least one direction, and do some stuff in BUD (cold)
- SFO-YVR-YXY-YVR-SFO and hope to spot the aurora (split ticket connection in YVR, but UA will plate me YVR-YXY on 016 stock)
- boring trivial solutions like SFO-BOS-SFO (see friends) or SFO/Hawaii for a weekend

I may waver on this so long that the trivial solutions are all that's left, but I was hoping to get some fun out of this beyond forking over $3.3k to keep my status. Anyone know of any other great fares to jump on or other ideas? I'm very open to suggestions
The amount spent to make 1K spend this month would go a long way toward paid upgrades next year. I'd save your money for next year.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
BOS-PEK is about $2100 all-in in P right now for departures this week. Throw in p.s. SFO-BOS each way, you're getting there... 3 day minimum stay; routing is flexible enough that you can stop on the way back in HKG, SEL, TYO, or OSA if you don't have a PRC visa.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Question for doing end of year calculations. When flying on a Star Alliance partner, how do you calculate base PQMs, using United's mileage or the partners'? I.e. flying on Thai Airlines according to their website, the distance from BKK to ICN is 2,286. But based on booking a flight on United.com, it looks like the base mileage between the city pair is a bit higher. Which is used when crediting to MileagePlus, non-016 stock.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BOSNRTSFOICH
.... Which is used when crediting to MileagePlus, non-016 stock. .....
What the operating airline reports.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
The amount spent to make 1K spend this month would go a long way toward paid upgrades next year. I'd save your money for next year.
I'm definitely on the fence (see the link at the top of my post), but I think I've talked myself into the value of it.. if I can use all 6 GPUs again that's easily $6,000 of value to me right there. And if I can have some fun rather than simply writing UA a $3,000 check, all the better

Originally Posted by jsloan
BOS-PEK is about $2100 all-in in P right now for departures this week. Throw in p.s. SFO-BOS each way, you're getting there... 3 day minimum stay; routing is flexible enough that you can stop on the way back in HKG, SEL, TYO, or OSA if you don't have a PRC visa.
That's an interesting fare - I'd forgotten about that. $100 stopover along the routing, as I don't have a visa and I'm not super-keen to enter the PRC right now (or other nations that would raise red flags). Unfortunately the real killer there is:

Code:
PERMITTED 24AUG17 THROUGH 09DEC17 OR 25DEC17 THROUGH
30APR18 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR. SEASON IS
BASED ON DATE OF ORIGIN.

All considered, I'm feeling like Asia ends up being on the expensive side, and if I want to to fly int'l and see the 77W I can spend the weekend of the 16th in Budapest. Currently weighing that versus Hawaii just in terms of how fun it would be. Europe is cold and dark in December

Originally Posted by BOSNRTSFOICH
Question for doing end of year calculations. When flying on a Star Alliance partner, how do you calculate base PQMs, using United's mileage or the partners'? I.e. flying on Thai Airlines according to their website, the distance from BKK to ICN is 2,286. But based on booking a flight on United.com, it looks like the base mileage between the city pair is a bit higher. Which is used when crediting to MileagePlus, non-016 stock.
It should use the United distance tables for the city pair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.