Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2018 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen, UA Plat

So I'm 48 PQMs short of 1K, which is a weird place to be. I have further revenue travel for the year (TATL in J and another TATL in F), but want to start crediting the points to M&M.

Any smart/cheap/quick ways to get 48 PQMs? Would hate to have to actually do a mileage run or purchase 1,000 PQMs on the accelerator for this...

Thanks everyone!
blink188 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by swissmister
So I'm 48 PQMs short of 1K, which is a weird place to be. I have further revenue travel for the year (TATL in J and another TATL in F), but want to start crediting the points to M&M.

Any smart/cheap/quick ways to get 48 PQMs? Would hate to have to actually do a mileage run or purchase 1,000 PQMs on the accelerator for this...

Thanks everyone!
Absent a now-unavailable/grandfathered credit card, I don't believe there is any other way to get PQMs, other than flying or accelerator.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

No use in begging UA for the slight bump?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Call and ask. Worst they can say is no.
but want to start crediting the points to M&M.
Out of curiosity, why? Splitting points across multiple programs in the same alliance is often a less useful proposition.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No use in begging UA for the slight bump?
You can try but odds are against you.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Call and ask. Worst they can say is no.

Out of curiosity, why? Splitting points across multiple programs in the same alliance is often a less useful proposition.
I fly mostly LH/LX. I have no chance of ever making GS on United (even though I'll make 1K my PQDs are around $1k). M&M points are more valuable to me.

Also Senator status lasts two years. I qualified last year and you can't requalify in the first year, so I thought to try United for the GPUs (I also knew I wasn't making Hon Circle).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Thanks everyone!
If possible, I would find the cheapest segment possible and fly it to secure 1K. That segment will net you 6 GPU's, which will be worth your while next year.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I fly mostly LH/LX. I have no chance of ever making GS on United (even though I'll make 1K my PQDs are around $1k).....
If your PQD's are only around $1,000 the mileage bump won't matter, since you need $12,000 in PQD to get 1K.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
If your PQD's are only around $1,000 the mileage bump won't matter, since you need $12,000 in PQD to get 1K.
OP isn't US based.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by trm2
OP isn't US based.
Missed that, thanks.

In that case, either fly the "shortest route," or if not, the well-documented - book a short trip, buy the accelerator, cancel the trip - strategy.
ChrisInSD likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...so I thought to try United for the GPUs ....
That's a lot of "more valuable" points to give up for the GPUs, though, right?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
That's a lot of "more valuable" points to give up for the GPUs, though, right?
Not if I use them to upgrade to F on LH.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Missed that, thanks.

In that case, either fly the "shortest route," or if not, the well-documented - book a short trip, buy the accelerator, cancel the trip - strategy.
I didn't know about this. Sounds awesome and I'll just do that haha.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2017 at 9:33 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I didn't know about this. Sounds awesome and I'll just do that haha.
Yeah, very effective, probably only cost $250.
Try ORD-MSP or IAD-EWR, both flight are generally <$100 in economy (NOTE: You can't use basic economy) and you get this amount refunded.
The amount of miles you are offered is based on the length of the flight and 2000 miles/PQM I think is the minimum and it is offering it to me for $50 for the miles and $200 for the PQM

good luck
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yeah, very effective, probably only cost $250.
Try ORD-MSP or IAD-EWR, both flight are generally <$100 in economy (NOTE: You can't use basic economy) and you get this amount refunded.
The amount of miles you are offered is based on the length of the flight and 2000 miles/PQM I think is the minimum and it is offering it to me for $50 for the miles and $200 for the PQM

good luck
OP is Europe based.

David
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
OP is Europe based.

David
It doesn't matter. The point was to generate a Premier Accelerator offer, which should be possible on any itinerary regardless of your location.* In most cases, the cheapest way to acquire PQMs is by flying -- a short intra-European hop would do the trick. However, OP expressed interest in acquiring 1K without flying, and Premier Accelerator would work for that. The flight should be cancelled within 24 hours to ensure a full refund.

*Except where prohibited by law

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.