Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hardcore approach to turning off wireless devices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hardcore approach to turning off wireless devices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by timbre
I have seen FAs do this many times on various airlines and they were all making it up. It is virtually impossible for them to see by name who has a cell signal on and who does not.
The FA's are overstepping their boundaries as per normal. They should announce and advise passengers as they do a final check up and down the cabin to remind passengers who have their phones on to switch off the phone.

Why make stupid announcements after that?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If I was the FA that made that announcement, I would be straight on FT to see who bought it !
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
In a word, no. For a device to function as a hotspot it must have both a valid cellular Internet connection and wifi to broadcast it. While there could in theory be a brief interval after the cellular connection is turned off that the wifi signal might still be visible, turning on airplane mode shuts off ALL antennas on a device. The user can then turn wifi and Bluetooth back on when appropriate.

Just FYI, you can have your device function as a hotspot that is connected via WLAN rather than via 4G. I've done this in the past to get around device restrictions in hotel rooms that made you pay per connected device.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Just FYI, you can have your device function as a hotspot that is connected via WLAN rather than via 4G. I've done this in the past to get around device restrictions in hotel rooms that made you pay per connected device.
But as I said upthread, while this is certainly true in theory, it is unlikely that the passengers in question were using this trick while seated on the plane awaiting takeoff. It is vastly more likely they were using their cellular connection as a hotspot for a laptop and neglected to activate airplane mode when required.

Of course none of us was there in this case.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it is vastly more likely that the FA was making it up !
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
On the SFO->BOS late flight yesterday, after the announcement to turn off cellular devices, one male FA announced specific devices that needed to be turned off: "Fred's Samsung....." A few minutes later, he listed them again by name and then said, "If they are not turned off, they will be reported to the FAA."

Never heard this before. I assume, he was just looking at the list of devices that appear when you search for hotspots. I have mixed feelings. Having rules that you don't enforce tends to breed dis-regard for all rules. This did seem a bit harsh though......
Similar happened to me last month on a DFW-SFO flight. She said they are coming around and if you are on your phone, they will write down your seat number and put you on the No-Fly list! I had to clap my hand over my mouth to not laugh.
Silver Fox and wolf72 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
A simple "Please turn your phones on to airplane mode" or even jokingly but kind of seriously making up a name and device like "Fred please turn off your Samsung Galaxy S8" is fine. Adding in "Report you to the FAA" or "Add your name to the no-fly list" are unprofessional and unnecessary. I would report any FA who says that.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Adding in "Report you to the FAA" or "Add your name to the no-fly list" are unprofessional and unnecessary. I would report any FA who says that.
Me too. I'm disgusted whenever adults use kindergarten teacher strategies outside of kindergarten.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Is this a good example of why American airliners have such a bad reputation amongst foreign travellers?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Me too. I'm disgusted whenever adults use kindergarten teacher strategies outside of kindergarten.
maybe. But probably wouldn't be necessary if a significant number of passengers didn't act like they were in kindergarten. There are folks
on many flights that I'm on that think the rules don't apply to them - cell phone in airplane mode and otherwise.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the electronic device thing is getting out of hand. A lot of people actually text all the way to takeoff (and more) and many people's devices start to ding/ring on final approach. Worse yet, some actually talk on the phone. Or, they text back and forth without putting their phone on silent or vibrate.

I think by now we know it is not a huge risk when it comes to interfering with the plane. However, rules are rules and, if you want to cheat, at least put them on silent/vibrate.

I have no problem with the FAs being somewhat militant enforcing the rules - the problem is really too many FAs don't enforce any rules - people have huge "hand held" devices and leaving devices plugged in during takeoff/landing.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Find out the FA's name, obtain a device capable of software defined radio, and configure your device to broadcast a wifi network with SSID "[name], would Mr. Rogers be proud of you?"
What about naming the hotspot "UAL Executive Offices"?
porciuscato likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This is all so stupid. Your electronic devices will not harm the aircraft in any way. There would be planes falling out off the sky left and right if they did. Do any of you really think the aircraft manufacturers and the regulatory agencies trust passengers to turn off their devices? Of course not. Therefore any sensitive equipment is sheielded from any interference. It's just a leftover rule from the early days that the old wind-bags at airlines like AA and UA still gripe about.
NY-FLA and hudsonlaluna like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is all so stupid. Your electronic devices will not harm the aircraft in any way. There would be planes falling out off the sky left and right if they did. Do any of you really think the aircraft manufacturers and the regulatory agencies trust passengers to turn off their devices? Of course not. Therefore any sensitive equipment is sheielded from any interference. It's just a leftover rule from the early days that the old wind-bags at airlines like AA and UA still gripe about.
So why do airliners and some foreign agencies impose such rules then? I agree with you but just asking?

Example: Malaysian FAA have a general ruling (maybe outdated) that phones and devices must be turned off during taxing, take off and landing. The airliners follow this to the letter of the law.

In China, all mobile phones, tablets and lap tops must be turned off for the entire duration of a flight from the time you board till you land (please correct me if the rules have changed)>
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether it is stupid or not, or whether we agree with it or not, why can't people just do as they are told? A tremendous sense of entitlement abounds in this day and age.
wolf72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.