Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA IAH-SYD - First reduced for low season, now 4x weekly year around (& load limits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA IAH-SYD - First reduced for low season, now 4x weekly year around (& load limits)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You're right. It'll just be the same. I hope they provision more hot bites though, LAX-TPE (not even one of the longest routes) routinely runs out. UA has appeared to be provisioning less and less of these hot bit meals as time moves forward.
They wouldn't provision anything on LAX-TPE as that doesn't exist on UA
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You're right. It'll just be the same. I hope they provision more hot bites though, LAX-TPE (not even one of the longest routes) routinely runs out. UA has appeared to be provisioning less and less of these hot bit meals as time moves forward.
I got one of the hot bites when Polaris first launched but haven’t in awhile now. Frankly between the large meal plus the snack cart there’s plenty of food and it seems too much trouble, even on EWR-DEL which is my longest and also most common Polaris flight.

Maybe if the menu displayed what it actually was and it sounded enticing I’d consider it.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by villox
I got one of the hot bites when Polaris first launched but haven’t in awhile now. Frankly between the large meal plus the snack cart there’s plenty of food and it seems too much trouble, even on EWR-DEL which is my longest and also most common Polaris flight.

Maybe if the menu displayed what it actually was and it sounded enticing I’d consider it.
I've always gotten a hot bite on my Polaris trips, whether they be westbound TATL hops or ULHs (like EWR-PVG)...has never been an issue for me.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by villox

When they take my main meal order, I often ask what the hot bites are, just to see if they will intrigue me later in the flight.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Recent experience on IAH-SYD ...

1. J was almost empty, but filled up with lots of non-revs. Imagine non-revs backtracking from LAX to IAH given more empty J cabins
2. Routing was odd. Essentially flew over LAX before continuing down under (imagine it's shorter if you go south initially). This can't be an ETOPS thing as QF 380 goes Southwest immediately on DFW-SYD.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by shuuy

2. Routing was odd. Essentially flew over LAX before continuing down under (imagine it's shorter if you go south initially). This can't be an ETOPS thing as QF 380 goes Southwest immediately on DFW-SYD.
QF flies a 4-engine aircraft, hence no ETOPS restrictions. ETOPS = Extended TWIN-ENGINE Operations

I'm not sure what ETOPS rule UA flies under but there are different categories based on minutes. Example in the link below shows 180-minute and 240-minute restricted areas on IAH-SYD. There could be any number of reasons a flight takes something other than the most direct routing.

Great Circle Mapper
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
On a Wednesday, IAH-SYD was 1/3 nonrevs in J cabin. Flying back on Monday, no nonrevs. Depends on the day of week, and smart employees know when the slow days are to enhance their chance of flying J. This new flight is so massively convenient for me!

--addendum re routing--there is some variation re weather/wind patterns, I've gone various ways over Mexico on these flights, not sure about any ETOPS restrictions coming into play
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
On a Wednesday, IAH-SYD was 1/3 nonrevs in J cabin. Flying back on Monday, no nonrevs. Depends on the day of week, and smart employees know when the slow days are to enhance their chance of flying J. This new flight is so massively convenient for me!

--addendum re routing--there is some variation re weather/wind patterns, I've gone various ways over Mexico on these flights, not sure about any ETOPS restrictions coming into play
In addition to the winds/fuel burn reason for the routing, I believe Mexico charges relatively high overfly fees that make it sometimes cost advantageous to avoid (I think I read this somewhere on FT a while back and have no source to confirm).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

1. J was almost empty, but filled up with lots of non-revs. Imagine non-revs backtracking from LAX to IAH given more empty J cabins
It has been very much due to jet stream configuration in the last week. Strong N/S arctic jet along the west coast has pushed the jet far south. This has placed your flight well north to avoid the strong headwinds.

Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by PenaltyBox
QF flies a 4-engine aircraft, hence no ETOPS restrictions. ETOPS = Extended TWIN-ENGINE Operations
ETOPS = Extended Operations.
The term used to signify Extended Range Operation with Two-Engine Airplanes but the meaning was changed by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) when regulations were broadened to include aircraft with more than two engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS
The 747 also receives ETOPS certification. The 747-800 Intercontinental is ETOPS-330 certified.
I'm not sure what ETOPS rule UA flies under but there are different categories based on minutes. Example in the link below shows 180-minute and 240-minute restricted areas on IAH-SYD. There could be any number of reasons a flight takes something other than the most direct routing.

Great Circle Mapper
The 787 is ETOPS 330-minutes certified, so there should not be any routing restrictions because of ETOPS, unless United's aircraft operate with a lower ETOPS certification. Edit: chermorg set me straight.
Great Circle Mapper

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Feb 28, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
The 747 also receives ETOPS certification. The 747-800 Intercontinental is ETOPS-330 certified.

It is my understanding that the 787 is ETOPS 330-minutes certified, so there should not be any routing restrictions because of ETOPS, unless United's aircraft operate with a lower ETOPS certification.
Great Circle Mapper
It was reminded to me recently that ETOPS is not only an aircraft and airframe specification but a carrier specification. United does not have 330 certification yet, as they must have flown at a lower ETOPS first for some time before that one is given. Hopefully the FT user who knew more about this can pop back in and give some more information.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver

Booked 3 seats for next week. Cabin was half empty and there were at least 5 saver J per day.

UA first sold IAH-SYD at 10200 a piece, now they bumped it to over 12k. I understand it's a hub premium but where are people connecting to besides AKL?

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if UA changed it to a 788 if it has the range for it.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I thought that 787-8 has a longer range than 787-9. Actually, 789 beats 788 by 325 miles. So, 788 can do IAH-SYD. But this aircraft rotates with SYD-LAX route.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting feedback re loads. Just curious, how that load compares to the new LAX-SIN, e.g. which one or both will survive?
Old May 19, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by chermorg
It was reminded to me recently that ETOPS is not only an aircraft and airframe specification but a carrier specification. United does not have 330 certification yet, as they must have flown at a lower ETOPS first for some time before that one is given. Hopefully the FT user who knew more about this can pop back in and give some more information.
"United Airlines has applied to fly within 240 minutes of airports. This requires some additional safety equipment, which United already has onboard its planes. The airline is now just awaiting approval.For the Houston-Sydney route, flying 240 minutes from an airport rather than 180 minutes means the Dreamliner doesn't have to hug as many islands and can fly more direct."Operating this way will allow United Airlines to be more efficient on ultra-long-haul routes," Quayle said. "It's exciting for our passengers because it will allow them to arrive quicker and more efficiently, and it's really good for the environment because it saves fuel." https://www.chron.com/business/bizfe...y-12546276.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.