Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware UA award bookings on Swiss Air!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
huh? It's been a while since I've done LX, but IME, they don't share the same PNR as UA, certainly LH never has. LH/LX (and any other carrier using Amadeus) would share the same codes on the same reservation because that's standard with Amadeus - so NH, TG etc. would too. But not UA - in fact, on reservations with both UA and partner carriers, I can't recall ever having the same PNR on UA and a partner.
That changed: UA & LX PNRs are now the same. UA & LH are different.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Not exactly. LH and LX PNRs are the same (as always). What's new is that the UA PNR can now be used to pull up the itinerary on the LH and LX websites.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by essexnyc

Lesson learned: from now on, I will be making weekly checks directly on the partner websites of any tickets I have booked though UA, AA, and DL on partner airlines.
I would check every Friday evening, after United makes their schedule changes. I found that even a few minutes changes on United's end would screw up the whole reservation.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not exactly. LH and LX PNRs are the same (as always). What's new is that the UA PNR can now be used to pull up the itinerary on the LH and LX websites.
Interesting. What I note on my UA reservations with LH & LX segments, that separate PNRs appear for LH, but not for LX.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Interesting. What I note on my UA reservations with LH & LX segments, that separate PNRs appear for LH, but not for LX.
it used to be that way. Now they are the same
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I just had an LX on MP award (3 weeks ago) ... the PNRs were not the same.

Maybe it depends on the nature of the award? US-EU may be different than intra-EU.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee

Not sure if it's new but I was able to enter my friend's LH pnr into the UA site and it pulled up all the info and displayed the UA pnr.
Ticket was booked from LH.com TXL-FRA-SFO LH and SFO-FRA-TXL UA/LH.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:32 pm

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
(Slightly) off-topic: does anyone here know when LX (or any other UA partner for that matter) gets “paid” by UA for an award ticket? Does it happen AFTER the flight was taken or some time before the flight?
Or to be more specific: if I ever need to do a last-minute cancellation of an UA award on a *A partner (last-minute as in two hours before departure or so), which airline is being “inconvenienced” by my last-minute cancellation: UA or the partner?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:45 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I made a booking for three last December in LX business (VCE-ZRH-SIN) for August. The long haul segment has disappeared off the reservation.
  • I did have ticket numbers from the very beginning (3x 016xxxx).
  • I did call SWISS to have seats assigned very early.
  • I did check my reservation regularly and everything was fine until today.
  • About two weeks ago I got a message from CheckMyTrp that there was a change to my reservation: the flight number for the long haul had changed, even though it was still the same flight (same times, same day). United did not send me a message.
  • I logged onto United and was asked to agree to the change to the reservation (flight number). I agreed.
  • Everything continued to look fine whenever I've checked.
  • Today I received another message from CheckMyTrip that there was a change to my reservation: the short haul flight was shifted by 5 minutes.
  • That's when I realized that the long haul segment for all three passengers had simply disappeared. That was the case on CheckMyTrip, swiss.com and united.com.
  • I called United and they told me that "International Airlines (whatever that is) sometimes cancel reservations". Luckily the flights were still available in Business and the segments were re-established.
  • I now have three new ticket numbers 016-xxxx under the old reservation number.
  • The United reservation number works on swiss.com but not on the phone -- they need another reservation number, visible on united.com, or the ticket number, to find the reservation. CheckMyTrip also needs that other number.
I'm assuming that the change in flight numbers two weeks ago is what caused the problem, rather than any kind of evil act by SWISS. So my question is: what can I do to avoid this from happening again during the next 6 months and 1 day?

HTB.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by htb
I made a booking for three last December in LX business (VCE-ZRH-SIN) for August. The long haul segment has disappeared off the reservation.
  • I did have ticket numbers from the very beginning (3x 016xxxx).
  • I did call SWISS to have seats assigned very early.
  • I did check my reservation regularly and everything was fine until today.
  • About two weeks ago I got a message from CheckMyTrp that there was a change to my reservation: the flight number for the long haul had changed, even though it was still the same flight (same times, same day). United did not send me a message.
  • I logged onto United and was asked to agree to the change to the reservation (flight number). I agreed.
  • Everything continued to look fine whenever I've checked.
  • Today I received another message from CheckMyTrip that there was a change to my reservation: the short haul flight was shifted by 5 minutes.
  • That's when I realized that the long haul segment for all three passengers had simply disappeared. That was the case on CheckMyTrip, swiss.com and united.com.
  • I called United and they told me that "International Airlines (whatever that is) sometimes cancel reservations". Luckily the flights were still available in Business and the segments were re-established.
  • I now have three new ticket numbers 016-xxxx under the old reservation number.
  • The United reservation number works on swiss.com but not on the phone -- they need another reservation number, visible on united.com, or the ticket number, to find the reservation. CheckMyTrip also needs that other number.
I'm assuming that the change in flight numbers two weeks ago is what caused the problem, rather than any kind of evil act by SWISS. So my question is: what can I do to avoid this from happening again during the next 6 months and 1 day?

HTB.
flights drop off reservations all the time which is usually inconsequential. As long as they are ticketed ... it is fine. UA often messes up ticket re-issue which they need to do with partner airline changes; there is nothing you can do other than making sure if you accept a change that UA re-issues the ticket asap.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Chase, United
Originally Posted by essexnyc
So two days later, I am relieved to report a resolution. Fixing this issue took eight calls to United (two due to disconnections) and four calls to Swiss, with about four hours on the phone. We are back on our originally-booked LX flight, and I have a fresh email with ticket numbers from United and as many screenshots as I can take from the Swiss website.

The bottom line is I still do not know why our reservation was deleted by Swiss - the best guess I have is that Swiss made some slight change to the flight itself (though the flight times or equipment type never changed), and because there was some incomplete piece of information between UA and LX, our reservation was kicked out of the LX system instead of being updated.

The disconcerting part (and what I hope to convey to this board) is that despite having my email and phone number, neither airline made any effort to contact me that the reservation had been deleted. In fairness, I don't think that UA was aware, because I had opened up the booking on the UA website periodically (even after seeing the deleted reservation on the LX site), and the reservation still showed as a normal booking. It was only upon logging into the LX website to check on seat assignments that I became aware of the issue.

Lesson learned: from now on, I will be making weekly checks directly on the partner websites of any tickets I have booked though UA, AA, and DL on partner airlines.
Do you have any advice for resolving my similar issue? E.g. about how to get through to someone at LX who can help? LX agents all said it was fine, until they later said united cancelled it and there is nothing they can do. United says Swiss refused to ticket, although I had ticket number and it was marked confirmed. thanks in advance...
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Originally Posted by zoechow
Do you have any advice for resolving my similar issue? E.g. about how to get through to someone at LX who can help? LX agents all said it was fine, until they later said united cancelled it and there is nothing they can do. United says Swiss refused to ticket, although I had ticket number and it was marked confirmed. thanks in advance...
I had a similar issue where I was ticketed (both UA and LX) BOS-ZRH-BDS. I secured the award reservation in Sept for travel next June. Swiss modified its ZRH to BDS schedule, changing both departure time and flight number. However, the change in time was only 5 minutes so no MCT issues. I am in the habit of checking my reservations routinely and about 3 weeks ago I noticed that the ZRH-BDS segment was dropped, mostly likely coincident with the updated schedule/flight no. I received no advanced notification of the problem. I called LX and they said the renumbering of the flight might have caused an issue but of course, I must speak to UAL to reinstate the segment. Initially calling UAL, I received no love as they indicated that the only recourse was to book into available award inventory. And, naturally, no award space was available on that flight. They refused to contact LX. The agent did find connecting space ZRH-NAP, which I accepted as I did not want to run the risk of having the ticket terminating in ZRH. However, post call I went to Elliot.org and obtained the email for a director of customer service at UAL. I then did two things 1. filed a complaint on the UAL website, attaching the original eticket as evidence of my originally confirmed and ticketed reservation and also sent an email with said evidence to UAL customer service. That was on a Saturday. By Monday, I received an email from UAL asking me to provide a direct contact number. I immediately responded, and got a call from the UAL representative. The rep quickly acknowledged that Swiss made a mistake dropping the segment. She told me she would call LX that day to have the issue resolved and recontact me. Lo and behold, by days' end she called me to indicate the issue had been resolved and my reservation had been reinstated and I had been re-ticketed on the ZHR-BDS segment. And, she indicated that training was in order for the original agent that I spoke with, as they should have known to contact LX on my behalf to resolve the issue.
jsloan, uanj, narvik and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.