Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
United Gateway Card Benefits
  • No annual fee
  • 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases, gas stations and local transit / commuting / ride sharing
  • 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases onboard United-operated flights (and inflight wi-fi purchase)
  • Expanded award availability (XN)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Roadside Dispatch
  • Travel and Emergency Assistance Service
  • Purchase protection "Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account"
previous
United TravelBank Card Benefits
  • No annual fee
  • 2% in TravelBank cash per $1 spent on United purchases, such as airline tickets, seat upgrades and bag fees
  • 1.5% in TravelBank cash per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases onboard United-operated flights (and inflight wi-fi purchase)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Redeem starting with $1 in TravelBank cash
  • Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
Per Business Insider
the TravelBank Card doesn't offer perks like free checked bags, priority boarding, or access to United's clubs.
Chase and United are hoping to capitalize on the dissatisfaction in this space by winning over the leisure traveler who flies a handful of times each year, prioritizes cash back, and would balk at paying annual fees — an approach that shouldn't cannibalize business from existing United cards.
Chase Landing Page

Print Wikipost

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:26 pm

Does anyone know if holding the United MP Gateway card qualifies as a personal United card for the United Business better together bonus of 5000 miles per anniversary?

I got inconsistent answers from a couple CSRs.
garkman likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by download
Does anyone know if holding the United MP Gateway card qualifies as a personal United card for the United Business better together bonus of 5000 miles per anniversary?

I got inconsistent answers from a couple CSRs.
I also want to know this, as they'd make a killer keeper combo...$99/year total for 5k miles + free checked bag + priority boarding + 2x Club passes. I will be attempting to get the UA Business card next month, and currently hold the Gateway...but wouldn't likely know about the 5k miles until April 2022.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
(didn’t feel this is worthy of a separate thread)

I converted (downgraded) my trusty old UA Select VISA to a NoAF MileagePlus Visa (which earns 0.5 miles per $ and thus has a permanent spot in my sock drawer) last year.

Now Chase/UA are apparently going to discontinue tithe MileagePlus VISA. I received a letter informing me that my card would become a UA Gateway VISA (also no AF). The Gateway is of course a much better card, so I am not complaining. The conversion date is 7/1/2021. The account number will not change and apparently no new card will be sent out until the current piece of plastic expires.
Daze and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, https://www2.theexplorercard.com/tra.../gateway-card# under View Full Credit Card Benefits
Hmmm, I just checked and am NOT seeing the expanded award availability listed on the website now... has it changed/been removed as a benefit?

Thanks. Screen shot attached
Attached Images  

Last edited by abaheti; Jun 13, 2021 at 4:31 pm Reason: add screen shot of chase site
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I see the expanded availability. Unless it is in process of being removed....

It is still on the Chase site:

abaheti likes this.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Jun 15, 2021 at 3:02 pm Reason: added chase pic
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by garkman
I also want to know this, as they'd make a killer keeper combo...$99/year total for 5k miles + free checked bag + priority boarding + 2x Club passes. I will be attempting to get the UA Business card next month, and currently hold the Gateway...but wouldn't likely know about the 5k miles until April 2022.
"Personal United credit cards include all United credit cards without the word “business” in the name"

I don't see why it wouldn't count? It's called the "
United GatewaySM Credit Card"

You’ll receive 5,000 bonus miles each account anniversary year if you also have a personal United credit card. In order to receive the anniversary bonus miles, you, as the Authorizing Officer of the United business credit card account, must be the primary Cardmember on the personal United credit card. Personal United credit cards include all United credit cards without the word “business” in the name that are issued by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Member FDIC. Both credit card accounts must be open and not in default on the billing cycle end date after your account anniversary date for your United business credit card. Please allow up to 6 weeks after the month in which you qualify for the bonus miles to become available in your MileagePlus account. Your United business credit card must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. “Account anniversary year” means the year beginning with your business credit card account open date through the anniversary of the account open date, and each 12 months after that.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I see the expanded availability. Unless it is in process of being removed....

It is still on the Chase site:
Thanks, they told me I need to call in to make the downgrade/switch so I'll ask then to be safe, but this makes me more likely to pick up the phone.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abaheti
Thanks, they told me I need to call in to make the downgrade/switch so I'll ask then to be safe, but this makes me more likely to pick up the phone.
Phone agent response for details like this will generally be as reliable as a Magic Eight ball
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
According to this TPG article from a couple of days ago, last seat availability is now available to all MileagePlus members, not just those with cards (or premier status). Apparently there is still a benefit for premiers/cardholders: while all have last seat availability, premiers and cardholders have access to additional lower mileage level awards.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
If I have it right, the grocery bonus ended yesterday for those of us that were converted from Travel Bank to Gateway
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Does the Gateway card offer XN fare availablity. I’d like to drop my AF from the Explorer card, and whilr the passes and luggage are “ok” I really just need the XN fare availability. Thanks.
Check the Wiki at the top of the page.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:10 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
bonus is now 35K
is it even ever worth it to apply for this card, even with 30K bonus?

or just use it as a PC option?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have pretty much sock-drawered this card.

Originally had this as a TravelBank card - which was useful as it converted to an alternate UA currency that didn’t need saver availability, etc. was also useful in the time when as the TB card, it counted toward PQD waiver - gave a 1.5% back option for non-bonus categories for my Select. Now, it’s just a free card I use with the commuting bonus, etc. every so often and nothing more. Given there’s essentially no cost to having it, more of a pain to call and cancel then it is to just hold onto.
Old May 11, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by emcampbe
According to this TPG article from a couple of days ago, last seat availability is now available to all MileagePlus members, not just those with cards (or premier status). Apparently there is still a benefit for premiers/cardholders: while all have last seat availability, premiers and cardholders have access to additional lower mileage level awards.
Anyone who has the Gateway card seeing this message when trying to redeem? "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember" If so, I'm going to downgrade my Explorer card to the Gateway card. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.