Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Frustrated by the CPU sweeps -- UA should upgrade everyone at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrated by the CPU sweeps -- UA should upgrade everyone at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
On today's flight, for example, we were looking at 13 upgrades into the 20-person cabin a couple days in advance, leaving only 2 F seats open. That's not a lot of room for late-booking elites.
That is absolutely the norm lately. I think they would do well to clear down to say F4 or 5. For multiple reasons.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
If a GS gets on the flight, I have no issue with them getting the CPU over me. Seems fair, and follows the published intent of the benefits.

On the other hand, a GS sitting in the back because they're last minute while I sit in the front because I was booked 5 days out doesn't seem fair. And it'd be even less fair if I was only gold.
I had thought that GS made GS because they purchase F to begin with. Why would GS need CPUs?
DJ_Iceman, Seeksreal and leoo like this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:30 am

I'm getting pretty frustrated by the sweeps. Today, I was flying SEA-SFO booked in Y, and got upgraded as part of a sweep that filled the F cabin. They upgraded a bunch of Golds etc., too. I had to cancel and rebook my ticket 24h out, and ended up back on the same flight, 2nd on the list with F2. They sold 1 TOD and someone squeeze past me in the front of the list. Missed the upgrade being #2 on the list.

So here I am, 1K sitting in the back, while a bunch of Golds are enjoying F up front (almost the entire F cabin was upgrades). It's kind of BS that they've designed a system that treats last-minute elite bookers like this. I miss most of my upgrades because of this lately.

I wish they'd just abolish all the sweeps and upgrade everyone at the gate based on their status—it'd be much more fair.
Completely disagree with you. There is value in being upgraded in advance and knowing you have the upgrade. I would hate to see that go away.

Making last minute changes (often by using your elite free same day change benefit or through other means) and losing upgrade priority is just part of the game.

As an elite I've lost upgrades to lower-level elites by doing last minute changes. Never bothered me for a second because I chose to make that last minute change.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is absolutely the norm lately. I think they would do well to clear down to say F4 or 5. For multiple reasons.
Seeing both sides of this discussion. I will say, as 1K by domestic segments, who always books within 24hrs (usually less) of flying, I share the OP's frustration. Maybe long haul elites will scoff at that frustration as most flights less than 4hrs, but sitting in Y (admittedly, usually E+ but not always) on over 250 flights a year and spending 3x the 1K PQD I do wish a few more F seats would be left for us last minute elites.

But then again, I know, WFBF ... and remind myself of that when squished in Y.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sannmann
I had thought that GS made GS because they purchase F to begin with. Why would GS need CPUs?
Personal versus business flying?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by wvactions
Normally would ignore a post like this, but just can't
Agreed. Anytime we're talking about something being "fair" or "unfair" I usually tune out. "Fair" is an interesting concept that is by definition subjective. In the adult world, as long as a contract is being met, the transaction is fair. If the discussion can be boiled down to "I deserve more" and especially "I deserve more than someone else" then we're no longer talking about "fairness."
Nihon_Ni likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
..Every level of status has its perceived benefits, wouldn't you agree?
Not too sure, there are published benefits of 1Ks over Plats but the experience doesn't change past Gold IMO.
Originally Posted by bmw303
...As an elite I've lost upgrades to lower-level elites by doing last minute changes. Never bothered me for a second because I chose to make that last minute change.
This. That 'downgrade' must have been worth it.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:45 am

I like early CPUs. I’m a 1k and I like knowing early if I’ve been upgraded. Doesn’t happen often as most of my flights are PS and non upgradable. That’s my bigger gripe than when CPUs run.

As a whole I think CPUs with the current algorithm is a joke and not very loyalty inducing.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think they would do well to clear down to say F4 or 5. For multiple reasons.
I agree, and it seems like that's what they do on elite/purchased F-heavy routs, such as SFO-ORD. I'll often see F4 to F6 on flights just 1-2 days before departure.

I think there are 10X more complaints on this board about the lack of CPUs when lots of F seats are unsold.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Seeing both sides of this discussion. I will say, as 1K by domestic segments, who always books within 24hrs (usually less) of flying, I share the OP's frustration. Maybe long haul elites will scoff at that frustration as most flights less than 4hrs, but sitting in Y (admittedly, usually E+ but not always) on over 250 flights a year and spending 3x the 1K PQD I do wish a few more F seats would be left for us last minute elites.

But then again, I know, WFBF ... and remind myself of that when squished in Y.
Might be worth upfaring a few and get GS. At a $39k spend, you are very close to the border. You are higher than me, and I made GS.

I was expecting to be at $33k this year and was going to forget about it, but then another trip came up and I may be close. Perhaps I'll take one more trip but the debate in my head is what if I take the trip and still miss.

But to me, the CPU's are honestly not that important. I fly maybe 15 domestic segments/yr, but LAXSFO is not a big deal - in fact, the exit row has more legroom and I get a snack and alcohol in the back anyways.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I think it's the magnitude of the sweep upgrades that bothers me. I'd be okay with it if there were more seats left open; but it's rarely more than a couple.

On today's flight, for example, we were looking at 13 upgrades into the 20-person cabin a couple days in advance, leaving only 2 F seats open. That's not a lot of room for late-booking elites.
I think you'll find the pendulum swings the other way as well. As a 1K, flying LAX-ORD/IAD/EWR, I won't get upgraded until the T-24 sweep, and that's with 20/24 seats available or similar ratio (P9,PN9) in first class.

Do you see me up in arms that I didn't get upgraded at T-96 as my benefit states? Surely I can't be 20 or lower on the upgrade list for these flights (yes I know it's possible on some as a 1K).

I think most people here will go, if you want to fly up-front, buy it. You'll get opinions from everyone stating they should upgrade more, upgrade less, or even hold out 2 seats on EVERY flight for people who want to SDC / buy a last-minute business/first seat.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by hoffbrinkle
Agreed. Anytime we're talking about something being "fair" or "unfair" I usually tune out... If the discussion can be boiled down to "I deserve more" and especially "I deserve more than someone else" then we're no longer talking about "fairness."
Agree completely. When the interpretation of "fair" means concentrating perks with an ever-smaller cohort of top-tier HVFs, you have to remind people that no airline can fly to profit on the backs of 1-2% of its customers while displaying indifference to everyone else.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's suggestion is not to prioritize GS below Silver, simply that CPU's ought not to be run until the gate. At that point, CPU's are run and GS presumably are at the top.

This does take care of the problems UA has created for itself when people in paid F with flexible tickets or willing to pay a change fee, can't change to a new flight because a Silver got the CPU. Same for a GS who can't change/SDC into F.

Logistically this is handled by the GA simply running the UG list and not mucking with it.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC
You flying elites that use alot of narrow gauge planes should feel fortunate United has gone from the old standard 8 up front to 20 up front on the 739's.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's suggestion is not to prioritize GS below Silver, simply that CPU's ought not to be run until the gate. At that point, CPU's are run and GS presumably are at the top.

This does take care of the problems UA has created for itself when people in paid F with flexible tickets or willing to pay a change fee, can't change to a new flight because a Silver got the CPU. Same for a GS who can't change/SDC into F.

Logistically this is handled by the GA simply running the UG list and not mucking with it.
One advantage (and a very important one) to running CPUs in advance is it opens up E+ seats for silvers at check-in, which, in turn, opens up regular Y seats for those without seat assignments. Especially nowadays with BE fares needing seat assignments at check-in (or do they get them at the gate? not sure), holding CPUs until the gate isn’t just a question of the GA’s workload for the upgrade, it’s also about lots of other people’s seat assignments that follow.

All because occasionally someone had something, gave it up, and couldn’t get it back?
Seeksreal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.