FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Hawaiian inter-island first/business class as an excursion segment? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1865293-hawaiian-inter-island-first-business-class-excursion-segment.html)

daq Sep 5, 2017 1:51 pm

Hawaiian inter-island first/business class as an excursion segment?

I've seen a bunch of articles talk about booking an Hawaiian inter-island flight on United to use the "excursionist perk" to get a free one way intra-region flight anywhere else. Some articles mention booking the Hawaiian flights in first/business class to get a free first/business class flight, but I don't see any option for that on any day (at least on the OGG-HNL flights). However, the 8500 mile business or 10000 mile first class option is on United's awards chart.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks!

pushmyredbutton Sep 5, 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by daq (Post 28780078)
I've seen a bunch of articles talk about booking an Hawaiian inter-island flight on United to use the "excursionist perk" to get a free one way intra-region flight anywhere else. Some articles mention booking the Hawaiian flights in first/business class to get a free first/business class flight, but I don't see any option for that on any day (at least on the OGG-HNL flights). However, the 8500 mile business or 10000 mile first class option is on United's awards chart.

No, doesn't appear to be. Looked into at length previously. Same with intra-Japan biz.

jsloan Sep 5, 2017 2:43 pm

I've seen a bunch of articles talk about booking an Hawaiian inter-island flight on United to use the "excursionist perk" to get a free one way intra-region flight anywhere else.

Just a reminder to anyone who's thinking about trying this:

1 - You have to fly the first (intra-Hawaiian) flight.
2 - Your itinerary must begin and end in the same region, so your award needs to terminate in Hawaii.
3 - This was almost certainly an unintended consequence of the way that UA built their booking rules, and this loophole may be eliminated at any time.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 5, 2017 5:14 pm

This doesn't actually make any sense. Can you provide an itinerary you're thinking of (or a link to an article)?

I can fly OGG-HNL-IAH and LAS-SFO-OGG with IAH-LAS as an excursionist perk. Originating in Hawaii, finishing in Hawaii, excursionist perk in another region. Conforms to the rules.

One thing to remember is Hawaiian is a United "partner" airline, not a Star Alliance partner. I'm pretty sure the difference plays into availability of HA as an Excursionist perk carrier.

mherdeg Sep 5, 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 28780878)
This doesn't actually make any sense. Can you provide an itinerary you're thinking of (or a link to an article)?

I looked at this thread then pulled up a HNL-OGG, SFO-BOS, OGG-SFO itinerary that costs 12000 miles in saver economy. I had no idea this was happening but I suppose it explains why people in the know haven't been angrier about the tremendous devaluation that UA's award changes represented.

pushmyredbutton Sep 5, 2017 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 28780930)
I looked at this thread then pulled up a HNL-OGG, SFO-BOS, OGG-SFO itinerary that costs 12000 miles in saver economy. I had no idea this was happening but I suppose it explains why people in the know haven't been angrier about the tremendous devaluation that UA's award changes represented.

Yep, precisely. The real value is when you can get a cheap biz award as the first segment, and supplement that with what would normally be an expensive biz award for the free excursionist one.

However, with posts like these, I fear it just brings more awareness to the loophole, which IMO, will inevitably close at some point.