Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Major differences between Gold and Silver
  • Use *G lounges on international trips
  • 2 bags @ 70 lbs (vs 1 @ 50lbs)
  • Lower award booking and change fees
  • E+ at time of booking for yourself + 1.
  • Free Same Day Change (SDC)
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (8 vs 7)
  • Higher on upgrade list
  • Eligible for Marriott Gold Status via RewardsPlus
A summary of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is Premier Gold Worth it?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

So I'm looking at a trip round trip from PIT to PVG. The departure date of this trip is in December 2017 and returning date is in January 2018. I'm currently at Silver Status and I will be a Gold status only if I complete this trip in 2017. So I wonder how likely is it to ask United for an exception to make my return trip count toward 2017. Or is there anything else I can do. The departure date and returning date are not flexible. Would really appreciate if someone can help out.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, JeremyGSW

Originally Posted by JeremyGSW
So I'm looking at a trip round trip from PIT to PVG. The departure date of this trip is in December 2017 and returning date is in January 2018. I'm currently at Silver Status and I will be a Gold status only if I complete this trip in 2017. So I wonder how likely is it to ask United for an exception to make my return trip count toward 2017. ...
Sorry but there is zero chance of that happening.

.... Or is there anything else I can do. ....
Either arrange a short trip over some free time to earn the needed PQMs in this calendar year -- this is called a "status run" / "mileage run"

or

Purchase the PQMs via a program like http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
or
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2017-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ut-flying.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
So I wonder how likely is it to ask United for an exception to make my return trip count toward 2017. Or is there anything else I can do.
UA is pretty non negotiable in calendar years.

You can buy EQMs, you can take another flight to earn PQMs, and you can ask UA, but they will say NO.

BTW, do you have enough PQD to make Gold? That is most common downfall @:-)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
As others have answered, there is no chance that UA will modify/bend, etc their rules. It is calendar year. Delta has roll-over miles, which sort of helps with these things in some cases (qualifying miles are not wasted) but UA does not.

If you have other business travel you will/can swing UA's way, there are really two useful and major benefits of Gold vs. Silver. The first is *G lounge access. If you were gold you could use the UC (or better yet other *A lounges which are usually much nicer see e.g. ANA, TK, LH lounges). If you travel internationally, it is IMHO a big +. That said, if you don't and this is the one off black swan overseas trip, well don't worry about it, the benefit will be dead to you.

The other is E+ access at purchase (this is better than DL which only gives it at PLT level). Since upgrades don't happen with UA doing cheap upgrade sales close in and lots of cheap F seats, E+ is the real benifit and being able to book it at purchase will allow you to have a better seat most of the time, not just when it is available at 24 hours.

This said, I don't think it is worth paying for the miles/status credit, which is very expensive. Ditto doing a "status run" unless you have time to kill and are very close. I think you are better saving that money and just adding it to a Y ticket to get into First on a cheap fare.

BTB, welcome to FT!!!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Is it worth returning early for gold over silver? Eh, as a overprivileged 1K NO! Pull a MR there a several that can be had cheep. I'm always looking looking for MR type flights and even if I don't need them I do them for the experience.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA, Marriwood, Hyatt
So I'm looking at a trip round trip from PIT to PVG. The departure date of this trip is in December 2017 and returning date is in January 2018. I'm currently at Silver Status and I will be a Gold status only if I complete this trip in 2017. So I wonder how likely is it to ask United for an exception to make my return trip count toward 2017. Or is there anything else I can do. The departure date and returning date are not flexible. Would really appreciate if someone can help out.

Agree with others there is no chance UA will count your return trip toward 2017. You will have to do a pqm/pqd run or buy PQM accelerator.
Whether or not gold is worth getting really depends on how much you will be traveling in 2018 to use the benefits and how much extra time and $ you need to spend to get to gold. Everyone's opinion will differ on the matter though!
I did run for gold a few years back and did not regret it because I knew I would be traveling a lot the next year. E+ seats, *Gold lounges with international travel, and the free same day changes were worth the extra $100 or so I spent on a status run.
Good luck!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
UA not going to be flexible on 2017 vs 2018 travel is pretty clear. They don't do it.

In my opinion, if you need a small MR to get to gold for next year, DO IT!

Gold gets you
  • E+ at boking
  • *G Lounge Access or International
  • 2 Free Bags (up to 70lbs)
  • Free SDC

As my business travel really tapered off this year, I've been doing some TPAC MRs this year to get to 1MM, so I'll have Lifetime Gold and can actually stop worrying about PQM/PQDs.

Be sure to do your diligence and be sure that you'll get both the PQD/PQM requirements met.

I had to do a small MR last year to get the last $34 PQD I needed to maintain my Gold Status.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:13 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Have to love those credit card waivers if you have em.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Definitely stretch for Gold over Silver. That said, I wouldn't push my end-of-year travels ahead just for that...there must be a way to do a cheap mileage run instead!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:17 am

Sadly about 12,000 miles and $1,200 short of Gold for this year. No additional business travel that I can add to help out, and spending this much on personal travel doesn't seem like the smart thing to do at this point
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:14 am

Snag the United club card for the current 50k miles promo and you gain some gold benefits. 2 bags. Lounge access.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Snag the United club card for the current 50k miles promo and you gain some gold benefits. 2 bags. Lounge access.
That seems very expensive for 50K miles and some benefits.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:35 pm

Post-baby status help

Hi all,

I'm a UA gold member. Had my first baby in February and it cut my flying down significantly for about 5 months.

Any suggestions for trying to achieve gold again this year? I'm only at 12,000 PQMs and 13 PQS. I have a trip to London yet to take that will give me 8k more miles and at least 5 small round trips left for the year (will be about 5k miles) to bring me to a 25k gap (yikes). My hunch is it would be easier to try to make the PQMs than the PQS. Not worried about the PQDs.

Is it even worth it to try? Willing to do a MR or fly another airline if there are tricks/suggestions.

I am not savvy and am hoping for some expert input!

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Considering it, but that's still a lot to pay for a few more benefits. I'm also eligible for the first year waiver, so I may go down that route instead.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by habejo
Hi all,

I'm a UA gold member. Had my first baby in February and it cut my flying down significantly for about 5 months.

Any suggestions for trying to achieve gold again this year? I'm only at 12,000 PQMs and 13 PQS. I have a trip to London yet to take that will give me 8k more miles and at least 5 small round trips left for the year (will be about 5k miles) to bring me to a 25k gap (yikes). My hunch is it would be easier to try to make the PQMs than the PQS. Not worried about the PQDs.

Is it even worth it to try? Willing to do a MR or fly another airline if there are tricks/suggestions.

I am not savvy and am hoping for some expert input!

Thanks!
Not any real "tricks" to get where you need to be. If you are not concerned about the money, you could upfare your existing trips to Business Class / Domestic First. That yields double the PQMs.

But I am not sure that the extra spend would be worth the benefits that Gold gives. Anything in particular about the status that you would miss as a silver?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.