Issues getting receipt from United

Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Issues getting receipt from United

Here's the history:

- Flight from A - B scheduled 8/7 - 8/24.
- Paid $200 change fee on 8/5 to fly C - B round trip (Same destination, different origin)
- Total fare price was $350 + $200 change fee
- On 8/24, took an earlier flight. Paid $125 for fare difference
- Online receipt shows the original $350 + $200 change fee
- Credit card receipt shows $125 charge on 8/24

1. Called 1kvoice and requested receipt. Received original receipt of $350 + $200 change fee
2. Emailed said receipt back to 1kvoice email stating that I need the receipt for $125 charge
3. Received response saying that there was no $125 charge, and that it was only $200 change fee on 8/5
4. Responded saying that is incorrect with screenshot of credit card charge
5. Received another response saying that my receipt says $475, and to do the math. Email also said I would receive the receipt again (I did not)
6. Responded again asking them to confirm that they looked at my original attachment (which says $350). Also re-checked UA website and confirmed that the receipt hadn't updated since I last checked.

At this point, I'm extremely frustrated. I've had to delay submitting the reimbursement to my company, and am about to escalate. Is there an easier way to do this? Am I complicating this by using the wrong channels of communication?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What if you request a receipt via "past" flights - does that work?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Is the 016 number the same for both the outgoing and return flights on the boarding passes? I ask only ask because I know Hawaiian may issue multiple ticket numbers for same reservation (eg buying a $10 preferred seat generates a second, and concurrently active with first, ticket # for receipt purposes). Just wondering if the $125 is on another ticket # somewhere...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 31, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Yes, 016 number is the same for both flights. Requesting receipt via 'past' flights shows the original $350
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Did you get emails with each change? I make changes often enough and they send multiple itinerary with receipt emails along the way. Typically none has the entire payment trail, but usually between two or three all the details are there.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Did you get emails with each change? I make changes often enough and they send multiple itinerary with receipt emails along the way. Typically none has the entire payment trail, but usually between two or three all the details are there.
That's my experience also when having don't multiple changes. Especially when a part of the itin had been flown.

IME, there is be no single receipt with all the changes. Just submit the pieces.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Is the 016 number the same for both the outgoing and return flights on the boarding passes? ....
I have also had ticket number changes when making changes. Such as in irrops.
Again leading to multiple separate receipts.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:10 pm Reason: self-merge
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's my experience also when having don't multiple changes. Especially when a part of the itin had been flown.

IME, there is be no single receipt with all the changes. Just submit the pieces.

I have also had ticket number changes when making changes. Such as in irrops.
Again leading to multiple separate receipts.
I never received an email. I did with the original $200 change, but never for the fare change on 8/24.

I'd be perfectly happy with any receipt that says "$125", but I have not received a single one, unfortunately.

Update: Checked my inbox on 8/24. I did receive an email, but it is showing the original ticket price of $350. I even saved the email as text and Ctrl+F'ed "125". Nothing
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teeceedee
I never received an email. I did with the original $200 change, but never for the fare change on 8/24.

I'd be perfectly happy with any receipt that says "$125", but I have not received a single one, unfortunately.

Update: Checked my inbox on 8/24. I did receive an email, but it is showing the original ticket price of $350. I even saved the email as text and Ctrl+F'ed "125". Nothing
You do not get a "receipt" per se, you get the revised itin and buried in the revised itin is the "receipt"

Also, you can look at your copies of the trip BPs is see if the ticket number changed, because with the ticket number you can get the needed info.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

You do not get a "receipt" per se, you get the revised itin and buried in the revised itin is the "receipt"

Also, you can look at your copies of the trip BPs is see if the ticket number changed, because with the ticket number you can get the needed info.
I understand this - I have gone over every single itinerary I have received after 8/24 and cannot find $125 or 125 buried anywhere in there. The total never got updated from the original fare price.

I'll try the boarding pass trick and report back...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by teeceedee
I understand this - I have gone over every single itinerary I have received after 8/24 and cannot find $125 or 125 buried anywhere in there. The total never got updated from the original fare price.

I'll try the boarding pass trick and report back...
The credit card statements typically have a 016 reference number, ask an agent to research the 016 number on the $125 charge
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Personally, I would send it in with whatever documentation I have (the cc charge, etc).

Let the person who handles this in your company figure out to properly document it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:16 pm

Send a copy of the cc bill and the full receipt and just say you are claiming only the $125 even though the receipt shows the full amount. I've done that before and had no issues at my company.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

The credit card statements typically have a 016 reference number, ask an agent to research the 016 number on the $125 charge
yeah I did that. That was the last response I got from them that actually confirmed they could see it in the system, they just never actually sent it to me.

Im sure I can get away with a screenshot of my CC statement with my company. Just experiencing a lot of frustration right now and trying to understand if it's justified at United.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
When I take an upgrade offer at OLCI then print out the paper boarding pass, I get an extra page with a receipt for the upgrade. Not sure if that would also work with a last minute fare upgrade to take an earlier flight, but it might be worth trying if it happens again.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
ETC option?

Maybe OP should be writing 1kvoice again about the lack of receipt causing inability to be reimbursed, and asking for an ETC to cover the loss.

With the state of their IT systems, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if it's easier to get an ETC out of them!

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.