Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Family Day 2017 - Farewell to the Queen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

SFO Family Day 2017 - Farewell to the Queen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
As noted above Fleet Week. Blue Angels are scheduled to perform at 3 PM per my buddy. Plan driving accordingly.

Fortunate a wonderful UA employee from HQ secured two wristbands for us. Heading to SFO after the DEN FFG event. A weekend full of UA.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:07 pm

I just arrived in San Francisco from Newark only to learn that my wristband was given away by accident.

If anyone ends up not being able to make it or has an extra wristband please PM me. I’ll drive to you. Thanks so much

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2017 at 2:36 pm Reason: Let's stay within forum rules on giveaways
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I just arrived in SFO from CHS, and have no word from TPG how I am supposed to get my wristband. Has anyone else who won from TPG heard yet? Will they be at will call?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:40 pm

SFO FD 21017 Logistical Question

I am much excited about going tomorrow but am curious how this works logistically. I heard there is off-site parking with a shuttle service. Short of that, I would probably take Uber. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by MrMillion
I am much excited about going tomorrow but am curious how this works logistically. I heard there is off-site parking with a shuttle service. Short of that, I would probably take Uber. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
There are 2 long term lots across the street from the event. Due to the expansion of the high rise parking structure I am planning to park in Lot D and walk. Uber is not a bad idea and they wait for airport pickups in that area so it should be easy to get a ride home too.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
As noted above Fleet Week. Blue Angels are scheduled to perform at 3 PM per my buddy. Plan driving accordingly.

Fortunate a wonderful UA employee from HQ secured two wristbands for us. Heading to SFO after the DEN FFG event. A weekend full of UA.
The Queen of the Skies performs at 2:35 or so. If you’ve never seen a 747 doing turns over the Bay it is quite the show. And it even has the Friendship livery on the sides (the tail is the standard globe) so I’m pretty sure it is the same plane that will fly the last trip to HNL on 11/7. If you go to Aquatic Park you will also get rhapsody in blue and their star announcer which makes for a magical experience. They are sending the Queen off in style.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by MrMillion
Last year the UAL MOC employee parking was open for us, its a short walk to the front of the Maintenance hanger entrance. Just follow the crowd to the entrance and security.

You should have received a parking pass along with your wristband from UA/employee.

Have Fun!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by snowed
The Queen of the Skies performs at 2:35 or so. If you’ve never seen a 747 doing turns over the Bay it is quite the show. And it even has the Friendship livery on the sides (the tail is the standard globe) so I’m pretty sure it is the same plane that will fly the last trip to HNL on 11/7. If you go to Aquatic Park you will also get rhapsody in blue and their star announcer which makes for a magical experience. They are sending the Queen off in style.
I assume we will get to be able to see that 747 take off from SFO before it heads off to the air show?

BTW I drove up to Fleet Week up the 101 today from San Jose, and traffic was totally fine on the way up around 1:30pm or so. The main traffic was in the city itself and trying to find parking closeby enough.

2:30pm is around the time the 747 flies, and as it's so big it can only do a few passes for the audience. I only caught the last pass today as I couldn't park quick enough to get to a vantage point. Kinda sad, but I hope tomorrow makes up for it! With that said I looked at my 2016 photos and I got a lot more.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by snowed
Aquatic park pier or the Marina Green where the United Festivla is to hear Rhapsody?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Event Transportation from the Terminal (recommended if coming from out of town)

If you are coming from the terminal, you may use the LOT D bus If you take the bus, it can be picked up outside of the airport terminal on the departure level (2nd level, far right) at it the labeled bus stop in the center island. DO NOT take the Long Terminal Parking buses.

For Lot D, get off at STOP 11 which is the first stop in LOT D (ask the bus driver if you are uncertain where this is) and walk east towards the South Gate.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA twitter feed has a number of pics from {last years} the Family Day event including the 747 flyby

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 9:35 am Reason: clarified year of photos
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if they verify that you have a rental car reservation before they let you on the rental car shuttle, OR if they verify that you have a car in long term parking before letting you take those shuttles. Seems like if I am coming from the airport terminal, taking one of the shuttles out that way and then walking over would be the way to go!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CAETravlr
Does anyone know if they verify that you have a rental car reservation before they let you on the rental car shuttle, ...
At SFO, you take the AirTrain to the rental car "terminal" -- no checks for access to the AirTrain

There a few off-airport rental car companies that then use a shuttle

Originally Posted by CAETravlr
... if they verify that you have a car in long term parking before letting you take those shuttles. ....
No checking

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 7:21 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At SFO, you take the AirTrain to the rental car "terminal" -- no checks for access to the AirTrain

No checking

Thanks WineCountryUA! Any suggestions on which way to get to the event would be the easiest? Seems like the Air Train might be the most regular, but that the Long Term Lot might be a tad closer. I guess either one works.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:53 am

I'm taking the Lot D shuttle and plan to have a copy of the reservation e-mail received by my sponsor. I also have his UA HQ card and file number on it. I think this shuttle or the long term parking structure sounds easiest. Looking forward to being one of 20k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.