Wiki Posts
Search

$0 {segment} fares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
$0 {segment} fares

I found some $0 fares MIA-BWI for next week and first class as low as $104. Am wondering if the fares are an error from some sort of changes they are doing because of Harvey waivers? Unfortunately I need to leave later than the last flight on United on Friday so I cannot book these.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
I found some $0 fares MIA-BWI for next week and first class as low as $104. Am wondering if the fares are an error from some sort of changes they are doing because of Harvey waivers? Unfortunately I need to leave later than the last flight on United on Friday so I cannot book these.
It's more of an artifact of the way that UA attempts to show one-way pricing even though that's not the way airfare is priced.

In this particular case, it looks like it's re-faring the outbound segment if you select the "cheap" return segment. I was able to reproduce it by selecting first class on 9/7 in Z class. When I clicked on the "$0" return, the outbound was re-priced into P class.

If you look at the details panels on the itinerary confirmation screen, you can see that the PQD are split between the outbound and the return. That's a much better approximation of the way the fares are breaking down.

I have no idea why UA isn't just showing the P fare in the first place, but I've seen this before -- albeit, usually with more complicated itineraries.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's more of an artifact of the way that UA attempts to show one-way pricing even though that's not the way airfare is priced.

In this particular case, it looks like it's re-faring the outbound segment if you select the "cheap" return segment. I was able to reproduce it by selecting first class on 9/7 in Z class. When I clicked on the "$0" return, the outbound was re-priced into P class.

If you look at the details panels on the itinerary confirmation screen, you can see that the PQD are split between the outbound and the return. That's a much better approximation of the way the fares are breaking down.

I have no idea why UA isn't just showing the P fare in the first place, but I've seen this before -- albeit, usually with more complicated itineraries.
It has something to do with the fact that KAA7AWFN on BWI/CHI permits multi-component circle trips, whereas KAA7AWEN does not (only 2-component circle trips). Somehow, the search engine fetches (correctly) QAA7AKEN as the lowest legal Economy fare, but then uses that to conclude (incorrectly) that the lowest legal First fare is QAA7AKFN. And then somehow the validator on the return segment is capable of figuring out that the first page was wrong, and post-fixing the entire pricing.

It boggles my mind that the website can do either of these things, but what do you know...

(This is a similar T to K pricing discrepancy on the CHI-MIA segment.)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They've already quoted you an outbound fare. The inbound is in addition to the outbound. So long as they quoted you > $0 for the outbound, it's not a $0 fare as your headline suggests.

Safeway had BOGO cereal the other day. I couldn't just get the second (free) box without buying the first (paid) one.
AceReport and diburning like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call UA and ask to buy the second segment only and see how that prices.
channa and diburning like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
It has something to do with the fact that KAA7AWFN on BWI/CHI permits multi-component circle trips, whereas KAA7AWEN does not (only 2-component circle trips). Somehow, the search engine fetches (correctly) QAA7AKEN as the lowest legal Economy fare, but then uses that to conclude (incorrectly) that the lowest legal First fare is QAA7AKFN. And then somehow the validator on the return segment is capable of figuring out that the first page was wrong, and post-fixing the entire pricing.

It boggles my mind that the website can do either of these things, but what do you know...

(This is a similar T to K pricing discrepancy on the CHI-MIA segment.)
That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking it was some sort of dynamic pricing. And for the record I *did* check the one way and it was in the $200 range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.