Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I just wish the OP said something. I couldn't imagine this scenario happening to me.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....but AF doesn't have any rear facing seats.
...but they do have windows.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
threads like this remind me why I avoid flying on american (small a) airlines. Geez. I would be escalating this as much as you can. Best of luck.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:32 am

To the OP, I tried sending you a PM with a direct email addy for UA's VP of inflight but you don't accept them.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I just wish the OP said something. I couldn't imagine this scenario happening to me.
Easy to say for us sitting behind our monitors. I'm just as livid too at the thought of this. As much as we/OP would be in the right, the potential of a very unnecessary set of outcomes that could have happened might not be worth the bad 5 hours in Y- and addressing this after the flight. All it takes is this same FA to say that we physically/verbally threatened her and then not only will we not be on the flight, could potentially find yourself with the airport "police".

I do though like the thought of getting a GA to reissue a downgraded boarding pass, assuming you could get them to do that.
IndyHoosier and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually, I would not have followed this crew member instruction at all, and would have called her out on it right in her face and demanded the purser and a gate supervisor. If I was forced out by the purser and the supervisor, and I found non revs in the seat, I would have taken their photo with my phone to document it and told them to their face I would be writing to my United regional sales manager and would be pushing to have their privileges suspended and their "buddy FA" disciplined.

I hope the OP writes in and receives significant compensation, but more important, I hope the FA is severely disciplined and the NRSAs in question have their flight privileges suspended.

The OP was far more easy going than I would have been in this case. Threads like this just make my blood boil
While I agree with all your hopeful outcomes for the FA and airline, I wouldn't recommend this action to anyone who actually needs to get somewhere. UA doesn't guarantee seats, and can move you at any time for any reason. While you might later be exonerated for customer service reasons, it's very likely you wouldn't be taking that particular flight, if you had refused to move.

But the FA's actions were inexcusable.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You should have refused to leave the seat. And if they called the cops, (after ensuring someone is videotaping the incident) you should have gotten in a fight with them until you got a real injury.

In all seriousness, the rules are printed on the safety card. You clearly demonstrated that you have the capacity to perform the functions without assistance. I've seen FA's allow parents with children to sit in the exit row, so this is ridiculous.

I'd write in to UA and DOT.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by eng3
You should have refused to leave the seat. And if they called the cops, (after ensuring someone is videotaping the incident) you should have gotten in a fight with them until you got a real injury.

In all seriousness, the rules are printed on the safety card. You clearly demonstrated that you have the capacity to perform the functions without assistance. I've seen FA's allow parents with children to sit in the exit row, so this is ridiculous.

I'd write in to UA and DOT.
I've seen plenty of folks who pre-boarded with the "disabled" group sitting in the exit rows without the FAs saying a word.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've seen plenty of folks who pre-boarded with the "disabled" group sitting in the exit rows without the FAs saying a word.
x2 exit rules are very quirky,my 14yo who is not allowed to sit in the exit row seating is 6ft 1 ,but I find myself when in exit aisle seats from time to time helping little old ladies put their carry on's and they have first shot at the pulling the door technically, seen a couple of lap belt extensions used as well.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JBord
While I agree with all your hopeful outcomes for the FA and airline, I wouldn't recommend this action to anyone who actually needs to get somewhere. UA doesn't guarantee seats, and can move you at any time for any reason. While you might later be exonerated for customer service reasons, it's very likely you wouldn't be taking that particular flight, if you had refused to move.

But the FA's actions were inexcusable.
No employee with half a brain would have backed up the FA - she alone had no authority to remove the OP, but once someone with authority stepped in and realized what the FA was doing and for who, I would like to think the FA would have been cut off on the spot and the issue ended right there.

If the purser, Capt. and/or ground supervisor backed her up, prioritizing seating for nonrevs over a *G revenue customer and supported the outlandish nonsensical claim about the bruise, then I have to say this company has a serious disease that needs urgent and radical treatment.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

I would have fought her. Ask for the purser. Ask for the GA. Make them kick you off the flight to seat a non-rev. Call that bluff. United is gun shy. Whip out your phone and start making a video, getting the FA to say ON CAMERA that you need to move.

My bet is that a little pressure back would make her back off.
ESPECIALROB and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
No employee with half a brain would have backed up the FA - she alone had no authority to remove the OP, but once someone with authority stepped in and realized what the FA was doing and for who, I would like to think the FA would have been cut off on the spot and the issue ended right there.

If the purser, Capt. and/or ground supervisor backed her up, prioritizing seating for nonrevs over a *G revenue customer and supported the outlandish nonsensical claim about the bruise, then I have to say this company has a serious disease that needs urgent and radical treatment.
I agree they would not have backed the FA up, in the background. 99.9% of the time, right or wrong, they back each other up customer facing. In 20 years of heavy flying I don't remember ever seeing any airline employee call out another in front of a customer no matter how wrong that other employee was.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I agree, there is a "disease" or "unspoken rule" in many professions where co-workers backup each other. This can be taken pretty far before the "rule" is broken.
Now afterwards, when you complain to customer service, that's a different story.

If you plan to defy any UA crew, you'd better be prepared to take another flight if necessary. That's why it is usually best to document what happened, complete your trip, then start complaining.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
Unfortunately, that is my problem. People who know me for a long time always called me Mr. Pushover.
Don't think of yourself as a push over in this situation, it would be like trying to make your case road side if the police were pulling you over to give you a ticket. IMO it's just one of those situations where in that moment, your unlikely to win but after the fact there are resources available.

You've stated your case beautifully in this thread, and assuming everything happened they way you said it happened I'm calling shenanigans on the FA . I think some of the other commentators made compelling points that if the issue was really about your physical ability to perform the required duties of being in an exit road, then why were you re accommodated in another E+ seat.

I hope your get the resolution you are seeking.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
so, I was chilling in my favorite exit aisle seat on the 777 this morning, waiting for the other half of the plane to finish boarding.

Would you PM me the flight/date please?
IndyHoosier and Aussienarelle like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.