Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So I guess as a MM my answer in a situation like that will be "Yes, of course I paid for it"
Absolutely correct.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
Yeah... I wasn't "surprised" so I just complied. I didn't have to pay for the E+ exit because of my status. But what if I paid to sit in the E+ seat? Was the flight attendant going to refund me my money? IIRC, for that flight, it's at least $200 for the E+ seat.

I'm sure if I contact UA, they'll just throw some free miles(5000 or 10,000?) into my account, plus a canned response. Oh well, it's not like I got beat up by the flight attendant and had my teeth knocked out... so I guess ranting here is the best therapy to help me forget the incident. Going to a bar with my co-workers later today, so I'll get some extra rum(double, triple?) in my frozen pina coladas.
The FA probably assumed that you would me more likely to complain if you had paid for the seat.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps "I'll arm wrestle the person you want to sit here with my 'bruised' hand. The loser has to sit in E-."
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

You should take a photo of the bruise and include it with your complaint.

How long of a flight was it?
actually time in the air was about 5 and half, so it's not the end of the world. millions of people fly in middle seats every single day and walked off the flights alive...

I don't blame my parents for whatever genes they gave me to cause me to be this tall... but when I'm choosing airline seats, I do wish that I was shorter, perhaps only 5'10 or less?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Do everyone a favor and report the FA.

My policy is NEVER to move seats for any reason without a new boarding pass being issued. You should have asked for downgrade compensation on the spot since you were moved to E- and demanded the FA get the GA to issue you the downgrade compensation.

I would also report the person the took your original seat. If they were a pass rider, it will cause the employee trouble that their guests were causing trouble.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
My policy is NEVER to move seats for any reason without a new boarding pass being issued. You should have asked for downgrade compensation on the spot since you were moved to E- and demanded the FA get the GA to issue you the downgrade compensation.
"Please issue me a new boarding pass showing my downgraded seat, so I can include it as evidence with my formal complaint."
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Often1
I would reduce this to two short declarative sentences and eliminate the irrelevant stuff. File a complaint with UA and note that you are filing with DOT as well. Make sure you do file with DOT.

On the spot, you really are in a pickle. You could raise a real fuss and ask that the Captain become involved, but you run the risk of being off-loaded or worse.

It isn't going to take much for the FA to justify ordering you to move, including a simple assessment that the injury left her concerned for other passengers, but the specific circumstances here do suggest that an investigation is appropriate.

You won't get anything back other than a cut & paste, but UA does follow up and the mere fact that the FA has to respond internally will likely end her practice.
Also, take a photo of the bruise next to a quarter so it does not become he says, she says about the size and potential impact for safety
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
"Please issue me a new boarding pass showing my downgraded seat, so I can include it as evidence with my formal complaint."
FA's have the right to move a passenger out of an exit row seat for safety reasons, and given that this can happen after the door has been closed (or even potentially whilst in flight) I'd be fairly sure there is no need for them to issue a new boarding pass when doing do.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that a quarter-sized bruise is a valid 'safety reason', just that potentially there is no requirement to do what you're asking for. Still may have been enough to get the point across...

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
You should have asked for downgrade compensation on the spot since you were moved to E- and demanded the FA get the GA to issue you the downgrade compensation.
E+ to E- is not considered a "downgrade" as they are both treated as the same class, so officially no compensation would be due.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Also, take a photo of the bruise next to a quarter so it does not become he says, she says about the size and potential impact for safety
I just happened to have an annual wellness check-up tomorrow, so I'll ask my PCP doctor to look at the bruise. He'll probably laugh and give me a lollipop, but at least he'll document it for me.

just went into my return flight reservation and saved this screenshot:
I'm sure I meet 100% of the rules.

PTravel likes this.

Last edited by MrWilliamston; Aug 27, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by docbert
FA's have the right to move a passenger out of an exit row seat for safety reasons, and given that this can happen after the door has been closed (or even potentially whilst in flight) I'd be fairly sure there is no need for them to issue a new boarding pass when doing do.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that a quarter-sized bruise is a valid 'safety reason', just that potentially there is no requirement to do what you're asking for. Still may have been enough to get the point across...
Agree, but since the door was presumably not closed yet, I see no reason for the airline not to document the new seat assignment.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I'm not surprised, but amazed. Please report her. That's uncalled for.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
I just happened to have an annual wellness check-up tomorrow, so I'll ask my PCP doctor to look at the bruise. He'll probably laugh and give me a lollipop, but at least he'll document it for me.
Um, you may want to be a little careful here.

In the US, generally an annual wellness exam is "free" if you have medical insurance (it is treated as preventive and insurance pays 100% of what is billed).

However, if during that visit you disclose any illness, the physician's office may end up billing it as a sick visit and you may incur additional responsibility (co-pays, co-insurance, etc.). My physician's office has me sign a form to this effect during my annual well visits, and I have anecdotally read reports of the practice surprising people ( https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1579109 ). Worst case, I guess maaaaybe you could ask UA to cover any additional costs you incur based on their FA's medical judgment that your quarter-sized bruise represented a safety risk, but good luck with that.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:50 pm

How do you report a FA? Often they don't wear badges or the badges are not easily legible. If you make an obvious effort to read their badge, they could possibly 'feel threatened' and eject you from the plane - after all this is United.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by puchong
How do you report a FA? Often they don't wear badges or the badges are not easily legible. If you make an obvious effort to read their badge, they could possibly 'feel threatened' and eject you from the plane - after all this is United.
When sending in complaints and compliments, I describe whether they are male/female, approx. age, approximately when they served me on the plane/gate/check-in/phone or other aspects of the incident (good or bad) and other distinguishing characteristics. I am dreadful with names so that even if I am given someone's name it immediately goes out of my head. Like you I too am concerned about being seen as a "security threat" so do not escalate situations as I am traveling to get to somewhere else.

Agree, but since the door was presumably not closed yet, I see no reason for the airline not to document the new seat assignment.
Slightly off topic, but I thought it was a requirement that the manifest properly record assigned seats with names (for documentation purposes in case something goes wrong), and if so, then surely this needs to be done prior to the door closing as I thought they gave the final listing to the crew.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Aug 27, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Um, you may want to be a little careful here.

In the US, generally an annual wellness exam is "free" if you have medical insurance (it is treated as preventive and insurance pays 100% of what is billed).

However, if during that visit you disclose any illness, the physician's office may end up billing it as a sick visit and you may incur additional responsibility (co-pays, co-insurance, etc.). My physician's office has me sign a form to this effect during my annual well visits, and I have anecdotally read reports of the practice surprising people ( https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1579109 ). Worst case, I guess maaaaybe you could ask UA to cover any additional costs you incur based on their FA's medical judgment that your quarter-sized bruise represented a safety risk, but good luck with that.
wouldn't my doctor see the bruise on my arm and ask anyway? (since I have be completely nude during the exam) my previous PCP was a female doctor an during the annual wellness exam, she bought a female nurse in during the exam... I thought it was because she was a female and when she examined my private areas, she had to bring in the nurse... strangely, my current PCP, a male doctor, also brings in a female nurse whenever the patient is in the nude.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.