757-200 EWR to PHX lie flat premium service?

Old Aug 27, 17, 6:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,851
757-200 EWR to PHX lie flat premium service?

Hi,

United just changed my flight in first for 12/22 from noon to 7am and moved my seats. As I wanted to see details (as when I log in United wants me to agree to the change before showing details) I started a dummy booking and the seat map indicates lie flat seats.

Did they start premium Transcontinental service on this route (lounge access etc) or are they just showing an incorrect seat map?

thanks,
Marc
blitzen is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 6:56 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ASE
Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Posts: 2,685
No PS service on this route, but you may get the PS equipment. Still, an awesome upgrade!
UAPremierGuy is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 6:56 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,347
No.

But, UA, just like other carriers will on occasion need an aircraft at a given station and the movement of that aircraft results in a non-standard aircraft. In this case in your favor, so long as you are OK with the 5-hour time change in return for a lie flat with standard domestic F service.

Or, it's just a standard -200 and you are seeing a glitch.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 7:06 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,851
Thanks!

lie flat would lessen the blow (7am flights are too early)
blitzen is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 7:19 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 3,798
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
No.

But, UA, just like other carriers will on occasion need an aircraft at a given station and the movement of that aircraft results in a non-standard aircraft. In this case in your favor, so long as you are OK with the 5-hour time change in return for a lie flat with standard domestic F service.

Or, it's just a standard -200 and you are seeing a glitch.
All 757-200s in the UA fleet have lie-flat (sCO have 16 and sUA have 28); the old -200s from sUA are long gone. The sCO -300s have 24 standard F seats.

There's plenty of time for another change...
wxguy is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 8:35 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Navajo Nation, Northern Arizona
Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Posts: 9,290
Wink

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
But, UA, just like other carriers will on occasion need an aircraft at a given station and the movement of that aircraft results in a non-standard aircraft.
The NY Giants have a game in Glendale Christmas Eve.
kale73 is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 11:24 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,656
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
...lounge access etc...?
No. There are a lot of domestic flights outside of the p.s. routes that utilize aircraft with lie-flat seating. Does not mean lounge access or any other enhancement (other than the seat).
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 1:30 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ORD, HKG
Programs: UA GL*G (0.65 BIS MM), AA EXP, Wyndham Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 9,665
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy View Post
No PS service on this route, but you may get the PS equipment. Still, an awesome upgrade!
It is basically a sCO 752, not necessary PS equipment, sCO 752 fly PS, but also international 752, and other non PS domestic routes.
ORDnHKG is offline  
Old Aug 27, 17, 1:49 pm
  #9  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,889
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
It is basically a sCO 752, not necessary PS equipment, sCO 752 fly PS, but also international 752, and other non PS domestic routes.
Those are all the same aircraft -- just different routes.

UA presently only flies two versions of the 752 -- the 16BF sCO and the 28 BF sUA version.

As sCO version is ETOPS qualified, it is used on TATL and other routes.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 28, 17, 1:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,425
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Those are all the same aircraft -- just different routes.

UA presently only flies two versions of the 752 -- the 16BF sCO and the 28 BF sUA version.

As sCO version is ETOPS qualified, it is used on TATL and other routes.
At least a couple of the sUA 752s are ETOPS, but aren't generally used for such.
N1120A is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 3:20 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,851
And guess what happened ..... got an email that my flight changed now departure 5:55am and a stop in Houston on the way ..... who would want to pay full price for something like this (I take non stop over first).
So I called and they wanted to charge me with redeposit fee (was an expensive 50k redemption). Are they kidding .... so I told the CSR that even by United rules a move of 6+ and addition of a stop results in a free cancellation/re-book/.... so she put me on hold and said "as a one time exception" to which I stated that that is beeswax and that are just the rules .... this is my right you are not doing me any favors. Then I asked her about the change fee due to me ... She didn't understand ... I told her that the changes now force me to by a AA ticket which is hundreds of $ more expensive compared to when I booked this flight back in July/August .... she just mentioned "go through our website"
No usable United option on 12/22 > they would arrive too late
On 12/21 there are only 7am / 6pm / 8pm departures
AA had better times 7/10:40/1:40/4:55 but on 12/22 (original date) they wanted 90k pP so I had to go with 12/21 for 55k pP (10% back due to CC).
Now I have to use another vacation day (aka cancel another trip) and book one more night in a hotel.
And thanks to our lawmakers United caused me to have a monetary loss (no fault of mine initiated 100% by United) and they walk away clear and free while I have the monetary etc. burden

Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
The NY Giants have a game in Glendale Christmas Eve.
Then United is no Giants fan as the 12/22 - 24 the noon (then move to 7am) flight (1 out of 3 non stop) was cancelled. The 12/22 7am flight was fully booked in first and filling up in Economy (70% guess last I checked weeks back) now everyone will have to find another option

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 17, 17 at 3:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
blitzen is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 3:29 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,656
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
And guess what happened ..... got an email that my flight changed now departure 5:55am and a stop in Houston on the way ..... who would want to pay full price for something like this (I take non stop over first).
So I called and they wanted to charge me with redeposit fee (was an expensive 50k redemption). Are they kidding .... so I told the CSR that even by United rules a move of 6+ and addition of a stop results in a free cancellation/re-book/.... so she put me on hold and said "as a one time exception" to which I stated that that is beeswax and that are just the rules .... this is my right you are not doing me any favors. Then I asked her about the change fee due to me ... She didn't understand ... I told her that the changes now force me to by a AA ticket which is hundreds of $ more expensive compared to when I booked this flight back in July/August .... she just mentioned "go through our website"
No usable United option on 12/22 > they would arrive too late
On 12/21 there are only 7am / 6pm / 8pm departures
AA had better times 7/10:40/1:40/4:55 but on 12/22 (original date) they wanted 90k pP so I had to go with 12/21 for 55k pP (10% back due to CC).
Now I have to use another vacation day (aka cancel another trip) and book one more night in a hotel.
And thanks to our lawmakers United caused me to have a monetary loss (no fault of mine initiated 100% by United) and they walk away clear and free while I have the monetary etc. burden
This is incoherent. What change fee are you talking about and what does AA have to do with anything? Can you provide a simpler/understandable description of the problem(s)?
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 3:37 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,851
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
This is incoherent. What change fee are you talking about and what does AA have to do with anything? Can you provide a simpler/understandable description of the problem(s)?
to cancel the booking United wanted $$
AA is the only workable alternative to UA (especially as United has no flight that works as the cancelled those)
i booked > United changed so it was unusable > have to cancel but still need to be in PHX for Christmas so I now have to book a flight with AA that would be insanely expensive on the original date (90k pP) or fly with AA one day earlier and use another vacation day and have another expense for the additional hotel room
blitzen is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 3:47 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,811
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
to cancel the booking United wanted $$
AA is the only workable alternative to UA (especially as United has no flight that works as the cancelled those)
i booked > United changed so it was unusable > have to cancel but still need to be in PHX for Christmas so I now have to book a flight with AA that would be insanely expensive on the original date (90k pP) or fly with AA one day earlier and use another vacation day and have another expense for the additional hotel room
Presuming I understand you, and you have not already executed any change to your original/rescheduled itinerary, I would recommend the following: 1. search for alternative itineraries on UA (including revenue ones), 2. call UA and say the schedule change to your ticket is unacceptable, 3. request change to your desired itinerary. Do not worry about fare class availability as the initial change is initiated by UA, but to attempt to work it out with UA rather than cancelling and purchasing an expensive alternative (and being upset about it).
fumje is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 3:50 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,782
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
1. search for alternative itineraries on UA (including revenue ones)
OP has rejected all available UA itineraries because of the departure time or because they involve a stop.

UA has a history of reducing flight schedules around the holidays due to low demand.
jsloan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread