Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bdraco
OGG-IAH

One can dream.
I'm a little surprised that doesn't exist. Headed to Kapalua this weekend for the 100th time.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by brp1264
I flew into DMM once, waited 3 hours at immigration, and said never again. Suppose it's better for a KSA national, but as a foreigner it sucks and it's so much easier to fly to BAH and pay 300 dinar for a driver to take you over the causeway.
300 dinar sounds like a lot for a causeway trip (that's like $800). I used to fly to BAH since my family mostly stayed there and even tried the short-lived IAD-KWI-BAH flight one (which was really crummy), but now it's a lot more feasible for me to fly into DMM. Takes me about 30 minutes to get home as opposed to BAH, which might take a couple of hours and that's if Causeway traffic is tame. I don't know how long ago you went through DMM, but things might've changed since then.

I doubt UA would be the one to do IAD-DMM, still. SV would have more of an incentive, but they already decided RUH/JED-IAD/JFK/LAX is more than enough.

It's a shame too because DMM is technically the largest airport in the world, but they made the terminal tiny relative to the entire airport area (like DEN). They could've made it a hub with way more gates and airlines with all that space.

Originally Posted by katan
Having flown LH BAH-RUH-FRA and BAH-DMM-FRA back in the day and seeing the struggles, the market dynamics there I don't think support an outside KSA carrier making much inroads.

Back to UA, I hope that they reassess the route winners for the region and really "fly America". All of the routes are code shares with an American flag, flown by a ME/EU airline. Dubai is a Jetblue route, flown by Emirates. For all the US folks I've seen move in and out of AUH, BAH, DOH and KWI - I can't believe we can't make it profitable.
Were the national carriers (like EK) cheaper than those old UA routes? I only flew IAD-KWI-BAH and back once and it was a gigantic plane (can't remember which one, but it had at least 300 seats) but the services were atrocious without any IFEs. I don't know if that was the case with all of UA's routes to the area, but if it was, then it's no surprise people didn't want in. The planes I was on were mostly empty, too, and this was a year before they stopped the routes.

I think they can likely employ 787s and others to do those routes (with better service) and make prices competitive if the politics permit it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2019 at 10:48 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; removed OMNI comment
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nayef
I only flew IAD-KWI-BAH and back once and it was a gigantic plane (can't remember which one, but it had at least 300 seats)
It was sUA 777-200, only seating about 250. We had a lot of funs doing mileage runs on IAD-KWI-BAH and back with 5-10 other MRers. Each person had his/her row in E+ section.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I guess those Asian airline don’t know what they are doing. All those wide bodies serving Intra-Asia flights on distances shorter than our transcon flights. They must all losing their shirts!
And have you seen the densities they pack onto to those short-haul widebodies?
ANA 772 Domestic: 21F / 381Y
ANA 773 Domestic: 21F / 493Y

Any airline can choose to fly widebodies on sub-2000 mile routes -- but the CASM is going to be greater than flying a narrowbody on those routes. Now if the airports are capacity-constrained, pilot wages double, or PAX are willing to pay a 25% premium to fly on a widebody over a narrowbody, then the current economic advantage of flying narrowbodies may be negated. But don't count on this occurring very soon. Think of what has happened to the A380. Airbus thought its larger size would make it an economic winner over smaller widebodies like B777s, B787s or A350s. See how that has worked out.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
300 dinar sounds like a lot for a causeway trip (that's like $800).
Perhaps he meant 300 Saudi riyals. The Bahrain and Saudi currencies are largely interchangeable in Bahrain (at a ratio of 1:10).

Were the national carriers (like EK) cheaper than those old UA routes?
Surprisingly not. UA was generally no cheaper than the ME3 in business class for a vastly inferior on-board product. I was probably like many travelers, though, who still flew UA for a combination of upgradeability, Mileage Plus benefits, and Fly America, all of which are diluted now anyway versus 10-15 years ago. The UA flight was also competing in a somewhat different market -- for travelers terminating in BAH/KWI/DXB/DOH (or connecting to Iraq or Afghanistan on a separate ticket) and perhaps connecting at the U.S. end, versus the ME3 capturing travelers O&D'ing at the U.S. gateway and then connecting onward from the Middle East hub (e.g., to South Asia, Africa, elsewhere in the Middle East, etc.). The JetBlue partnership with Emirates and the AA partnership with Qatar haven't been around that long.

It's a shame that all of these flights went away. DL also served DXB briefly. I am surprised that, despite all of the challenges, they can't make a trunk route like EWR/IAD-DXB work. Or maybe DOH, which is hard to reach otherwise -- you can't get there on EK and some European airlines have dropped it -- although I assume United, like most observers, figured the embargo would be short-lived.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I remember DL also used to serve ATL-KWI, which I guess they thought would work for US military personnel and the like, but it soon got the axe, too. And I agree on the DXB route. Even though EK has tons of routes, a bunch of national carriers still have direct flights to DXB, like LH, BA, KL, AF, AC and others. So I don't see why a US carrier wouldn't work. Don't know if those other flag carriers are subsidized or not, and if they are, it makes sense they'd still be afloat.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Reminder this is not a ME3 thread or a discussion thread of travel to the ME. But rather a posting of route(s) you would like to see UA fly (realistic or not).

So let's return to the thread topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:51 pm

Iad-nrt
ord-nrt
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
My prediction (unlikely...near impossible):

SFO-PKX
or
EWR-PKX
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
My prediction (unlikely...near impossible):

SFO-PKX
or
EWR-PKX
There's almost no value in flying planes to the new Beijing airport where *A carriers for the most part won't be going.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
There's almost no value in flying planes to the new Beijing airport where *A carriers for the most part won't be going.
LO and CA are both starting service in October. Pretty sure others will follow...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by narvik
LO and CA are both starting service in October. Pretty sure others will follow...
I spoke to the UA Beijing staff recently, and there is no plan for UA to start services to the new airport in the near term. UA currently has four flights a day into Beijing Capital Airport, There is already over capacity between US and China, and any flights into the new airport will likely at the expense of the 4 flights currently in service.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Looking at the widebodies UA has coming in (4 more 77W, 13 more 789 and 5 more 78J) - makes me think that long/thin routes are probably in cards. Have to think EWR-TPE would make a lot of sense, as might EWR-ICN (although that is a much lower-revenue destination). I feel like with the extra 789s, SFO-BKK as a 3x weekly winter seasonal would be worth a shot...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Looking at the widebodies UA has coming in (4 more 77W, 13 more 789 and 5 more 78J) - makes me think that long/thin routes are probably in cards. Have to think EWR-TPE would make a lot of sense, as might EWR-ICN (although that is a much lower-revenue destination). I feel like with the extra 789s, SFO-BKK as a 3x weekly winter seasonal would be worth a shot...
Other than going year-round SFO-DEL, all of the routes announced yesterday are mid-range (can fly round trip in under 24 hours). Is UA taking a cue from AA? AA pulled back from some long haul routes and provided the explanation that some of them just don't justify themselves considering how long they tie up an aircraft each day. It will be interesting to see how UA deploys these new 787s coming next year.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Other than SFO-DEL, there are some new extra-longhaul routes announced in the past few months (EWR-HND, LAX-HND, EWR-PVG, SFO-HKG). They do need new aircraft. UA can certainly switch fleet types for some existing routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.