Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Not new routes, but calling for better aircrafts with premium cabin flat seats between IAD and LAX/SFO. Although there are a token of wide body services (SFO), I am tired of flying 737/A320 aircrafts on transcon flights.

Not sure how many 789 UA has on order, but they could be used to replace 788 on the international routes and have those 12 788 flying on transcon routes as part of rotation to international leisure routes.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Wishing, not expecting

PHL-LAX because I'm out of PHL
ORD/NRT/HKG-SIN east coast to SIN even if I have to stop in NRT/HKG
ORD/SFO/NRT/HKG-BKK/KUL/SGN/HAN/CGK more SE Asia other than HKG/SIN
ORD/IAH-Europe More options to europe other than from EWR
More eastern europe, middle east

Last edited by eng3; Aug 15, 2019 at 6:53 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
duplicate..please delete
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Really wish COS-SFO would come back, and sadly I would accept the Devil's Chariot, which is what it was years ago.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by eng3
Wishing, not expecting

PHL-LAX because I'm out of PHL
ORD/NRT/HKG-SIN east coast to SIN even if I have to stop in NRT/HKG
ORD/SFO/NRT/HKG-BKK/KUL/SGN/HAN/CGK more SE Asia other than HKG/SIN
ORD/IAH-Europe More options to europe other than from EWR
More eastern europe, middle east
They used to serve IAD-KWI/BAH/DXB/DOH but they all shuttered quickly because EK, EY, SV, QR, MS and AT are dominating the US-Middle East/North Africa market with government subsidies.

A pipe-dream, but I wish United would serve DMM-IAD or EWR. Eastern Saudi Arabia (where I grew up and frequently travel to) hasn't had direct flights to the US since the days of PanAm (used to be the old Dhahran Airport to New York and Orlando because a lot of American Aramco expats worked there). There's still a substantial expat population from the US and Canada, but most of them have to fly through Europe, or to the US/Canada via RUH and JED. DMM only connects to AMS and FRA, and in December, to LHR, but via BAH. And if DMM gets a direct US route, I doubt it'll be with an American carrier.

Last edited by Nayef; Aug 15, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not new routes, but calling for better aircrafts with premium cabin flat seats between IAD and LAX/SFO. Although there are a token of wide body services (SFO), I am tired of flying 737/A320 aircrafts on transcon flights.

Not sure how many 789 UA has on order, but they could be used to replace 788 on the international routes and have those 12 788 flying on transcon routes as part of rotation to international leisure routes.
Unlikely to happen. The relative economics just aren't there. 787's carry the infrastructure to fly 7000 miles. This means more weight in the plane's structure as it needs to carry more fuel, which means a bigger wing, bigger fuselage, heavier landing gear, etc. 737s only carry the infrastructure necessary to fly 2600 miles. So everything about the plane is lighter -- thus cheaper to build and cheaper to operate. Unless airports become extremely capacity-constrained; or pilots become a lot more expensive, economics will favor 737s over widebodies on US TCONs for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by seenitall
Unlikely to happen. The relative economics just aren't there. 787's carry the infrastructure to fly 7000 miles. This means more weight in the plane's structure as it needs to carry more fuel, which means a bigger wing, bigger fuselage, heavier landing gear, etc. 737s only carry the infrastructure necessary to fly 2600 miles. So everything about the plane is lighter -- thus cheaper to build and cheaper to operate. Unless airports become extremely capacity-constrained; or pilots become a lot more expensive, economics will favor 737s over widebodies on US TCONs for the foreseeable future.
UA is using 787s on some LAX-EWR and LAX-IAH flights.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
I guess those Asian airline don’t know what they are doing. All those wide bodies serving Intra-Asia flights on distances shorter than our transcon flights. They must all losing their shirts!

A pilot told me that each aircraft does not carry a full load of fuel. There is a formula they use based on weight, distance, weather; temperature and win to come up with the amount of fuel needed.

I flew an almost brand new 787 from SFO to YYZ on Air Canada recently while UA flew the A 320. Also last month AC 787 between SFO and YVR while UA uses 738. The business class fare were almost the same.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess those Asian airline don’t know what they are doing. All those wide bodies serving Intra-Asia flights on distances shorter than our transcon flights. They must all losing their shirts!
"Unless airports become extremely capacity-constrained"

I flew an almost brand new 787 from SFO to YYZ on Air Canada recently while UA flew the A 320. Also last month AC 787 between SFO and YVR while UA uses 738. The business class fare were almost the same.
There is no question that the UA flight is more profitable, then.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
There is no question that the UA flight is more profitable, then.
Probably and good point! I guess I usually pay business to fly other *A airlines and pay economy and apply upgrade to fly UA (when they fly the same routes), so I have not factored in those who are willing to pay business fare to fly United.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Nayef
A pipe-dream, but I wish United would serve DMM-IAD or EWR.
I flew into DMM once, waited 3 hours at immigration, and said never again. Suppose it's better for a KSA national, but as a foreigner it sucks and it's so much easier to fly to BAH and pay 300 dinar for a driver to take you over the causeway.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
After cutting IAD-DXB, it's clear that UA won't fly a ME route (excluding TLV) unless there's a government contract in place for it. I'd love for them to give EWR-MCT a flyer, but it will never happen in my lifetime. I'm 33, so I'm open to take bets on a nice meal in NYC on that route.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Having flown LH BAH-RUH-FRA and BAH-DMM-FRA back in the day and seeing the struggles, the market dynamics there I don't think support an outside KSA carrier making much inroads.

Back to UA, I hope that they reassess the route winners for the region and really "fly America". All of the routes are code shares with an American flag, flown by a ME/EU airline. Dubai is a Jetblue route, flown by Emirates. For all the US folks I've seen move in and out of AUH, BAH, DOH and KWI - I can't believe we can't make it profitable.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
OGG-IAH

One can dream.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
After cutting IAD-DXB, it's clear that UA won't fly a ME route (excluding TLV) unless there's a government contract in place for it. I'd love for them to give EWR-MCT a flyer, but it will never happen in my lifetime. I'm 33, so I'm open to take bets on a nice meal in NYC on that route.
I wouldn't take that bet, either. Even the European airlines other than BA (and TK if you count them) need to do a stop -- LX in DXB and KL in DMM. (BA used to stop in AUH,)

Incidentally, I take the LX flight DXB-MCT frequently. It's dirt cheap and well-timed for a weekend flight. As were the UA fifth-freedom routes DXB-DOH and BAH-KWI in their day. I could live with a UA flight to, say, BAH then MCT. By the way, I vote for the new MCT as the nicest mid-sized airport in the world. It's gorgeous and the contract lounge (not sure if WY uses it) is probably the best non-airline-branded lounge I have seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.