Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by brp1264
Can we ask for them to also upgauge the 145 to a 175 while we're at it?
BFM will take business from PNS. UA would be smart to get in front of it. Sure, Frontier is 'meh' but substituting a connection in ORD or DEN for a long drive to West Mobile or a 90 minute trek to PNS for Western connections would be a problem for UA going forward. Especially if Frontier is flying real planes and UA's offer is expensive flights on truly decrepit planes to an out of the way airport. If AA moves the DFW flights to BFM, watch UA's Mobile market share to fall to nothing.

I fly IAH-Mobile. I won't fly into PNS, because its too far. If I have to spend 3 hours getting to IAH and waiting on my flight, then fly 1.5 hours to PNS, then take up to 2 hours to get off the plane, get a rental car, and then drive to Mobile, its really just as easy for me to just drive.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Jan 27, 2019 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
BFM will take business from PNS. UA would be smart to get in front of it. Sure, Frontier is 'meh' but substituting a connection in ORD or DEN for a long drive to West Mobile or a 90 minute trek to PNS for Western connections would be a problem for UA going forward. Especially if Frontier is flying real planes and UA's offer is expensive flights on truly decrepit planes to an out of the way airport. If AA moves the DFW flights to BFM, watch UA's Mobile market share to fall to nothing.

I fly IAH-Mobile. I won't fly into PNS, because its too far. If I have to spend 3 hours getting to IAH and waiting on my flight, then fly 1.5 hours to PNS, then take up to 2 hours to get off the plane, get a rental car, and then drive to Mobile, its really just as easy for me to just drive.
I'd definitely fly into BFM over MOB or PNS.

For my travel though, PNS is a better fit. It's 1 hour from PNS to downtown Mobile on mostly highway vs. 30 minutes from MOB to downtown in stop and go. Add in the fact that I like PNS better and I get a guaranteed upgrade and don't have to worry about gate checking a bag, and I'll continue taking that flight for now.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
Den-cdg
den-pek/pvg
den-yxe
den-gso
iad/ord-yng
den-pbi
DEN-CDG wouldn't surprise me with how well DEN-LHR apparently did and Norwegian's launch of seasonal DEN-CDG. DEN has been really pushing for a China route and has been talking to CA, UA, and HU. DEN-YXE could easily happen with a AC JV, as it is one of the larger Canadian markets they are missing. DEN-GSO wouldn't surprise me if IAH-GSO does well, as UA does have a few long and thin DEN flights to the Southeast. YNG wouldn't shock me either given UA's ORD/IAD regional push. UA is starting DEN-PBI in March.

Originally Posted by zspitzer
I'd vote EWR - GCM, or generally EWR - Caribbean. There's occasional service, but UA seems to have ceded daily NYC - Caribbean direct routes to JetBlue.
I agree that it is a bit disappointing the lack of EWR-Caribbean flights compared to B6. GCM/STT/BDA have enough demand to be more than seasonal, and CUR/BGI/KIN should really have at least seasonal service (probably daily for BGI/KIN).
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DA201
DEN-CDG wouldn't surprise me with how well DEN-LHR apparently did and Norwegian's launch of seasonal DEN-CDG. DEN has been really pushing for a China route and has been talking to CA, UA, and HU.
DEN currently has NRT, LHR, and FRA (just announced). If they add more international routes, one could argue that it deserves a Polaris lounge as much as LAX does (which has only 5 direct UA metal international destinations). Ripping out one of the tired UCs and replacing with a PL wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 2019 at 2:36 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
I agree that it is a bit disappointing the lack of EWR-Caribbean flights compared to B6. GCM/STT/BDA have enough demand to be more than seasonal, and CUR/BGI/KIN should really have at least seasonal service (probably daily for BGI/KIN).
Did they even fly EWR-GCM this year? I was trying to work out how to tie GCM into a multi-city post-Christmas trip. Looked like they were serving GCM from IAH, with service some days from IAD or ORD, but not EWR. I flew EWR - GCM last winter, I figured they decided they could make more on that 737 elsewhere.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
OSL, CPH and BFS are (relatively) recently-cancelled routes right? Can't imagine those are coming back soon. I would like to see EWR-VIE, though. Connecting through VIE in Europe is easy, and OS for intra-Europe is a bit more pleasant than most (all?) of the other options.
I loved the BFS route; coupled with EasyJet, you could get to a lot of places. It was subsidized by the regional government in Belfast, which the EU deemed illegal, so the flight was canceled. One benefit of BREXIT might be a return of that subsidized route—a remote possibility, but I am looking for s sliver of a silver lining on a very dark cloud.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's hard to see UA starting EWR - VIE when their *A cousin already flies the route. Also, didn't CO once operate a EWR - BRS flight?
Yes. It was a thrill. There was just about enough runway for a B752. The aircraft rotated and as you looked down you saw a sharp drop. Landing was equally exciting.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 2019 at 10:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
SLC-IAD
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
LAX-PDX/ATL/MIA/DFW (as of 30 March 2019), EWR-NCE
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rishib
Seeing SFO-DEL gets my hopes up for SFO-BOM. I'd take that connection in an instant from IAH as opposed to EWR-BOM, esp. in wintertime.
Not being familiar with the Indian market; would LAX-DEL/BOM be something to look at?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Hopefully Oakland is coming back soon. Scott Kirby: "Oakland is on our list. I'm not sure when we are going to add it, but we are going to get back into the East Bay. We have not decided the timing yet, but we are absolutely planning to get back into Oakland."

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...y-13729013.php
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Once United has the equipment to do it, I’d love to see LAX/PER or SFO/PER.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
LAX-ATL would be nice.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
The most interesting part of Kirby's interview, as it relates to new routes, was his comment on SFO:

"California, and SFO in particular, is a unique crown jewel for United - it is the best gateway across the Pacific because of geography. It's in the right place to connect the whole country to Asia. And it's also the biggest local market with lots of premium demand. Turns out that even our flights to Europe, with less geographic advantage, do well for us from SFO due to a large, high-income customer base full of people with a high propensity to travel. Every new route that we add works—recently Tahiti, Europe, Amsterdam. India and Melbourne start later this year. We just keep growing here and it all does very well. SFO is a unique asset for United"

Based on this, I wish he would pull the trigger on SFO-BKK. They are spraying new SFO routes into the vicinity of BKK -- SIN #1 , SIN #2 , DEL It's such a PIA to get there via HKG, TPE or NRT. SIN and DEL overshoot Thailand, so they're no better.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
IAH-LNK, IAH-ATW, and IAH-MBS please
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
AVP-PEK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.