Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I'm convinced there is collusion on SFO-YYZ, FRA, MUC. United agrees to not fly (or barely fly) these routes, so fares remain very high. There must be some quid pro quo where LH and AC don't cannibalise some highly profitable UA routes.
Originally Posted by jsloan
SFO-FRA/SFO-MUC are part of the joint venture with LH. It's (legal) collusion.
I don't recall whether or not the transborder JV got approved or not, so I don't know about SFO-YYZ.
No JV for US-Canada transborder (yet), just code shares. I read that UA and AC has approval from the Canadian authorities but hasn't taken it any further. Given that DL/WS now has a JV they may want to try for it.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...d-ties-452258/
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Ord -- yeg
ord -- tlv
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Ord -- yeg
ord -- tlv
I have to imagine that UA is looking at ORD-TLV closely, but they went with SFO and IAD first because of demand / lack of competition, respectively. That said, if IAD-TLV does well, I wouldn't be shocked to see ORD-TLV either. It is a bunch of capacity to add in a relatively short period of time, though.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
EWR, IAH, or SFO - MNL
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
iah-lnk
iah-mry
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

I could see EWR-CPT as a winter seasonal now that UA is opening a 787 pilot base at EWR. Probably not realistic until 2020 at the earliest...but that would be fantastic.
That is reeeally far. Delta barely makes it on the -200LR from Atlanta.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:31 pm

Ewr - cph
ewr - osl
ewr - dus
ewr - stn
ewr - bfs
ewr - brs
ewr - vie
ewr - str
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by warrenw
That is reeeally far. Delta barely makes it on the -200LR from Atlanta.
That's one of those totally counter-intuitive routes where ATL-CPT is actually 300 miles longer flight than EWR-CPT. ATL quite a bit farther west than EWR.

Originally Posted by brp1264
EWR, IAH, or SFO - MNL
If BKK is low-yield, MNL is mega-ultra-low-yield. PR is often cheaper TPAC than even the China carriers. I doubt UA wants a piece of that business.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's one of those totally counter-intuitive routes where ATL-CPT is actually 300 miles longer flight than EWR-CPT. ATL quite a bit farther west than EWR.

If BKK is low-yield, MNL is mega-ultra-low-yield. PR is often cheaper TPAC than even the China carriers. I doubt UA wants a piece of that business.
DL seems to be doing well on their MNL run.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
DL seems to be doing well on their MNL run.
So does UA. Neither is from the US mainland, though. The economics are completely different.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan

IAD-HKG 8,153 miles

the question being whether or not there's enough demand for IAD-HKG now that CX is / will be flying it.
Probably difficult for UA to compete with CX A350 service (great aircraft to fly btw). Just look at how CX dominates HKG-LAX and also the multiple flights from HKG to JFK.

One possibility (also remote) for UA to consider IAD-HKG is that CX does not have the feeder traffic from AA as it has in LAX and JFK.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's why it's a wish =) Would be awesome being able to get a sub 20 hr trip there and not having to connect in Asia.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Ewr - cph
ewr - osl
ewr - dus
ewr - stn
ewr - bfs
ewr - brs
ewr - vie
ewr - str
OSL, CPH and BFS are (relatively) recently-cancelled routes right? Can't imagine those are coming back soon. I would like to see EWR-VIE, though. Connecting through VIE in Europe is easy, and OS for intra-Europe is a bit more pleasant than most (all?) of the other options.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
OSL, CPH and BFS are (relatively) recently-cancelled routes right? Can't imagine those are coming back soon. I would like to see EWR-VIE, though. Connecting through VIE in Europe is easy, and OS for intra-Europe is a bit more pleasant than most (all?) of the other options.
It's hard to see UA starting EWR - VIE when their *A cousin already flies the route. Also, didn't CO once operate a EWR - BRS flight?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Probably difficult for UA to compete with CX A350 service (great aircraft to fly btw). Just look at how CX dominates HKG-LAX and also the multiple flights from HKG to JFK.

One possibility (also remote) for UA to consider IAD-HKG is that CX does not have the feeder traffic from AA as it has in LAX and JFK.

I'd be thrilled if they could make IAD-HKG work, but yeah, I just don't see them doing it. It would make getting to southeast Asia from IAD a lot easier (not having to take 7+ hour flights in NH knee-crusher Y or regional J from NRT would be great).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.