Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:16 am

Question What if: B762 @ UA in 4Q17?

I was reading over on a.net just now, about how the price of jet fuel is low and it enables the airlines to keep flying older planes and generate large profits.

That got me to thinking: What if UA hadn't been able to give away their B762's a few years back when oil was $140/bbl, but instead had simply parked them in the desert until the price of oil fell to where it is now? What if UA still had those ~10 planes in their system? Where could (or ought) UA have deployed them these days?

Some ideas:
  • New routes (ORD-TLV)
  • MoM routes (EWR-TXL, DEN-LHR)
  • Full-year service instead of seasonal (EWR-ATH, EWR-VCE)

Your thoughts?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
My vote would have been CLE-CGO
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I think they would start EWR-ATH just because Emirates now flies that route. ORD-TLV is a possible summer seasonal route. DEN-LHR is starting in the spring and will be seasonal. I think it can be year round with the Dreamliner. EWR-TXL is already year round. I am not sure how many people are flying to Venice during the winter, so maybe that one is a stretch.

I think a plane with that low of a capacity and that high of a range would be better used on long, thin seasonal routes outside the range of a 752. EWR-OTP/BUD/VIE/PRG come to mind.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DA201
I think they would start EWR-ATH just because Emirates now flies that route. ORD-TLV is a possible summer seasonal route. DEN-LHR is starting in the spring and will be seasonal. I think it can be year round with the Dreamliner. EWR-TXL is already year round. I am not sure how many people are flying to Venice during the winter, so maybe that one is a stretch.

I think a plane with that low of a capacity and that high of a range would be better used on long, thin seasonal routes outside the range of a 752. EWR-OTP/BUD/VIE/PRG come to mind.
UA is already flying EWR-ATH. Have been operating it for 2 seasons already.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Seeing UIN (Quincy, IL) <> CGI (Cape Girardeau, MO) as a new planned spoke-spoke route in this month's Hemispheres magazine...any idea what the inspiration for this would be?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
LAX - ATL
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:03 pm

EWR-CPT
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Seeing UIN (Quincy, IL) <> CGI (Cape Girardeau, MO) as a new planned spoke-spoke route in this month's Hemispheres magazine...any idea what the inspiration for this would be?
Wiki says Cape Air ends their service to STL on Nov. 30th. Appears UA will be starting on 12/1 in their place. Perhaps another take over on an ESA route, as we've seen before. UA picked up HYS-DEN after SeaPort had to quit the route.

See here: http://www.kfvs12.com/story/36236036...rvice-provider
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
There are several new EAS routes coming 2017/2018. Skywest has been bidding for a bunch and generally winning. Skywest is flying them at risk for UA. The following have start dates, with several more likely to be awarded.

UIN
CGI
CKB
CNY
VEL
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by smxflyer
There are several new EAS routes coming 2017/2018. Skywest has been bidding for a bunch and generally winning. Skywest is flying them at risk for UA. The following have start dates, with several more likely to be awarded.

UIN
CGI
CKB
CNY
VEL
what do you mean at risk for UA?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
what do you mean at risk for UA?
This has a decent explanation: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/skywest...ng-for-united/
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: None anymore
I think UA should return to 5th freedom routes... Bring back NRT-ICN and fly a few NRT-HKG/BKK/etc.

Also, maybe I'm biased, but they have no east coast - ICN options. An IAD/EWR/ORD-ICN would be fantastic.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by smxflyer
I see. Would be really nice if they brought IYK back into the fold somehow (either LAX-IYK or SFO-IYK), but I'm not sure how easy it will be given IYK no longer has any commercial air service right now.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:57 pm

I kind of want non-AC options for SFO-YYZ, given how AC does landings these days. Also, SFO/LAX-BNE would be nice.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC SE
My wish list is better connectivity from YYC to UA hubs (currently have IAH, SFO, ORD, DEN):
EWR-YYC
LAX-YYC

Ends up being a hassle if you want to take UA metal via one of the hubs without direct service to YYC. E.g. taking LAX-MEL requires 2 stops on UA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.