Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
AA recently announced routes to Budapest and Prague. Budapest doesn't make much sense because LOT is starting up ORD-BUD, but a Prague route does sound good.

With likely increases of troops in Afghanistan brining back Kuwait or Bahrain flights could be prudent.

Bringing back ORD-Yeg would be good for me, got about 6 trips there in the next 6 months
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Mirko
Are you serious?

Why would they add international routes? They can't compete, unless they have a total lock on a hub and its closest alternatives.

Mostly we see them backing away from what should be lucrative routes like BKK and AKL. The problem is that United is a fat lazy monopoly and other airlines eat their lunch when they try to swim in the big pond.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
ORD-ATH will start next summer.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Are you serious?
Kirby has been pretty clear that UA's focus is going to be on domestic and less on international routes. The number of long-haul international routes that UA has added this year can be easily counted on one hand (seasonal SFO-MUC, LAX-SIN, seasonal EWR-ATH, EWR-EZE, and upgauging EWR-FCO to higher frequency - that's it), while the number of routes they have downgauged frequency on (EWR-MAN), converted to seasonal only (lots of East Coast-secondary European cities), or eliminated outright (SFO-HGH, EWR-OSL) is much higher.

I would like to see more East Coast-South America (e.g. EWR-SCL would be nice), but I am kind of skeptical of that happening, given the focus on IAH as the 'gateway to Latin America'. Perhaps when UA starts taking delivery of 787-10s will we see new routes being added.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:02 am

Sorry guys
Didn't see the existing thread.

Anyway I find ORD-ATH, if confirmed, very interesting. Seems like the same way AA launched BCN (this year) and VCE (next year) out of O'Hare.
Very popular destinations in the summer + cruises ... without direct flights.

I also wonder if a seasonal IAH-FCO (just like IAH-MUC) could work, also given the success of new DFW-FCO service by AA this summer.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by porciuscato
The problem is that United is a fat lazy monopoly and other airlines eat their lunch when they try to swim in the big pond.
And yet, as a GS, you still keep giving then boatloads full of money.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And yet, as a GS, you still keep giving then boatloads full of money.
Sadly, I live in a location where United has a complete monopoly to the nearest hub. So unless I want to interline + pay an even more extortionate fare to UA to get to the hub (i.e. $600-$800 for a 300 mile flight), I'm stuck with them. And frankly, the other legacies aren't much better, anyhow.

Spend a little time flying around in Asia or Europe and you'll be amazed at how much better things can be. Go-getters like Air Asia and Easyjet are offering a superior level of service at CPM levels that are a fraction of what UA charges.

I will continue to lobby my congressmen to give me the freedom to choose and stop protecting U.S. legacies from real competition. I hope others will do the same.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveo
Budapest doesn't make much sense because LOT is starting up ORD-BUD
The Polish airline is flying non-stop between Hungary and the USA?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The Polish airline is flying non-stop between Hungary and the USA?
Yes. JFK and ORD. An LO mini hub at BUD.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...The problem is that United is a fat lazy monopoly and other airlines eat their lunch...
This is a bit contradictory. If UA was a monopoly, there would be no other airlines.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
None.
+1

There's significant overcapacity across both the Pacific and Atlantic right now, and yields have been trashed by the Chinese carriers and DY. There's a reason Kirby has been talking about renewing UA's focus on domestic ops - all the domestic industry consolidation means that there's much better capacity discipline and less pressure on yields within the US. The consolidation sucks for the customer, but this paradigm also sucks for UA, since UA has the largest international footprint.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is a bit contradictory. If UA was a monopoly, there would be no other airlines.
I am not trying to defend the poster's comments but he actually did say "Sadly, I live in a location where United has a complete monopoly to the nearest hub." Surely that sounds different, no? Not like a nationwide monopoly.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD-ZRH hubwise would make sense, but LX was faster adding high-season capacity.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
What international routes, espacially regarding the long-haul sector, do you think UA is planning to add next year?
This link:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../24/2003677089

Seems to imply that UA is thinking of Taiwan / NYC flight ? I guess EWR to TPE or KHH?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Go-getters like Air Asia and Easyjet are offering a superior level of service at CPM levels that are a fraction of what UA charges.
Having flown Air Asia, let's just say that we have a significant difference of opinion here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.