Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by N104UA

The biggest issue at HKG is the slots, so it would depend on the slots they had or that they can buy, the HKG-SIN flight left in the late evening and returned in the morning so maybe UA could time the IAD flight with a morning arrival and midnight departure, but then they would have a plane on the ground at HKG all day. Although this would make the most sense for a new IAD route of the traffic is there vs just going IAD-EWR/ORD-HKG
IAD-HKG seems the most realistic of those options (ICN, TPE, SIN). There's already a Delta/Korean nonstop, so not likely with that. TPE is not enough traffic, and SIN too far.

IAD-HKG should be within range of 787-9, and probably 777 (flight is only 90m more than EWR).

Morning arrival would require a late evening departure from IAD (dep. midnight; arr. 5am); evening departure (from HKG) would get back to IAD about midnight.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
IAD-HKG seems the most realistic of those options (ICN, TPE, SIN). There's already a Delta/Korean nonstop, so not likely with that. TPE is not enough traffic, and SIN too far.

IAD-HKG should be within range of 787-9, and probably 777 (flight is only 90m more than EWR).

Morning arrival would require a late evening departure from IAD (dep. midnight; arr. 5am); evening departure (from HKG) would get back to IAD about midnight.
I think the midnight arrival back to IAD would be the issue as there are few connections left, although I always the midnight departures that get in early morning on TPACs so that would be a good compliment to the mid day departures from ORD and EWR.

I wonder if UA still owns any slots they are not using from when they flew from LAX and NRT. Does anyone know?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
SFO-YUL please. AC somehow manages 3 flights daily with reasonably high fares
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
EWR-GIG
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by N104UA
I think the midnight arrival back to IAD would be the issue as there are few connections left, although I always the midnight departures that get in early morning on TPACs so that would be a good compliment to the mid day departures from ORD and EWR.

I wonder if UA still owns any slots they are not using from when they flew from LAX and NRT. Does anyone know?
Agree, midnight arrival at IAD would be a problem.

I do wonder if they could combine it with a turn to another airport, however, to avoid the long wait on the ground. In other words, could they combine a morning arrival from IAD and turn that plane for an earlier departure to, say SFO (current flight leaves 11:15a arrives 9:15a, and could move earlier to make more connections), and meanwhile take the early-arriving SFO flight (relative to ORD and EWR) and turn it back to IAD. As it is, all those planes remain in HKG overnight before a morning departure - maybe there are some savings on parking fees to be had.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Agree, midnight arrival at IAD would be a problem.

I do wonder if they could combine it with a turn to another airport, however, to avoid the long wait on the ground. In other words, could they combine a morning arrival from IAD and turn that plane for an earlier departure to, say SFO (current flight leaves 11:15a arrives 9:15a, and could move earlier to make more connections), and meanwhile take the early-arriving SFO flight (relative to ORD and EWR) and turn it back to IAD. As it is, all those planes remain in HKG overnight before a morning departure - maybe there are some savings on parking fees to be had.
That does seem possible, however I think if they did HKG it would be a 787 so they would have to figure out what route to put a 787 on (but most likely not SFO). I think the bigger issue is slots, I am not sure which ones UA owns and when they could depart, I am working on the assumption they would have to use the HKG-SIN slots, but if they could do a midnight departure from IAD arrival ~6am (+1) then turn back to IAD a few hours later arriving late morning that would be ideal.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by 100% Green
IAD-SE ASIA

Would love IAD-SIN or IAD-HKG or IAD-ICN or IAD-TPE.
CX has been in talks with MWAA for a possible IAD-HKG flight, so not UA but still a nonstop flight.

UA is extremely stingy with ICN. It has more passenger traffic than any other Asian destination (other than possibly TYO, which may still have more not sure) and yet UA only has 1x SFO. ICN should definitely have EWR & ORD service. On top of all of this, OZ is a partner airline and has its hub at ICN.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
CX has been in talks with MWAA for a possible IAD-HKG flight, so not UA but still a nonstop flight.

UA is extremely stingy with ICN. It has more passenger traffic than any other Asian destination (other than possibly TYO, which may still have more not sure) and yet UA only has 1x SFO. ICN should definitely have EWR & ORD service. On top of all of this, OZ is a partner airline and has its hub at ICN.
5 letters on why UA sends more to TYO than ICN... ANA JV. You could argue the same about TPE with Eva Air (or total lack of presence at BKK) but I digress
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
SFO / LAX to ADL-PER (No airline serves South and Western Australia from North America).

SFO / LAX to PMB-PER (No airline serves PNG and Western Australia from North America)

Last edited by davistev; Aug 11, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
It looks like my dream of ORD-ATH may come true next summer. UA gave me ORD-SJC, now Athens will make me a happy travelor!!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by davistev
SFO / LAX to ADL-PER (No airline serves South and Western Australia from North America).

SFO / LAX to PMB-PER (No airline serves PNG and Western Australia from North America)
SFO-PER is 145nm longer than PER-LHR which is already a stretch for the 789. In addition there would be no connecting traffic in PER (where for LHR QF is hoping to have connecting traffic from the east coast). Demand would just not be there for the flight.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:48 am

UA new International routes prediction

What international routes, espacially regarding the long-haul sector, do you think UA is planning to add next year?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Sfo-bkk

😎
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
None.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
None.
Are you serious?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.