FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1863367-what-route-s-do-you-wish-ua-flew.html)

TravellingChris Nov 21, 2023 6:10 am

Would love to see UA restore service to several smaller Canadian cities that plugged into key United hubs:
  • Victoria YYJ-San Francisco
  • Thunder Bay YQT-Chicago O'Hare
  • Saskatoon YXE-Denver
  • Regina YQR-Denver

UA_Flyer Nov 21, 2023 8:48 am

Transpac flights out of hubs other than SFO.

Worst Polaris Lounge and lack of widebody services from East Coast/Mid-west (other than EWR) to SFO make flying out of SFO less desirable.

Kmxu Nov 21, 2023 9:09 am

Just my two cents

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 35761756)

Worst Polaris Lounge and lack of widebody services from East Coast/Mid-west (other than EWR) to SFO make flying out of SFO less desirable.

United can alleviate this problem slightly by 1) adding more nonstop SFO-east coast cities such as RIC-SFO to make it one connection to Asia, 2) changing the schedule of some SFO-Asia routes such as SFO-PEK, SFO-PVG and SFO-ICN (non summer season). The rest with evening departures from SFO are fine, especially with two flights per day (SIN, TPE and HKG), and SFO-MNL. Perhaps, adding SFO-BKK and SFO-SGN with less than daily frequency will do wonders.

The design of SFO PL is good, with lower level as resting areas. United needs to expand the dinner room space and adds another buffet area on the upper level.

RJNYC Nov 21, 2023 10:11 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 35755112)
Unlikely. They used to do EWR-EZE-MVD. The last leg being very short.

PMUA had a LGA-IAD-EZE-MVD flight ... flight numbers were UA846 and UA847, which are now used for IAH-SCL

The Man in Seat 9A Nov 21, 2023 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 35760584)
Still waiting for UA to resume OAK connections to hubs. I suspect it is cheaper not to open another station when they prefer to direct everyone to SFO. But would also provide a nice alternative when ATC/weather goes haywire (though no doubt delays are preferable to diversions). Would also be nice to see South America nonstops from LAX/SFO rather than forcing connections via IAH or ORD.

I would love to see OAK resume, even if only to DEN. This would match what Delta and American do with flights to their mid-mountain hubs. Delta is also trying to compete in OAK-LAX.

SFO is harder to get to unless you live right there, it is a big, crowded airport, and it cuts flights significantly when the weather gets nasty. In the late 90s I was a 1k and lived in SF proper and basically commuted to LAX. If I walked in to LAX and heard anyone say the words 'flow control' I switched to OAK. If I couldn't get on the OAK flight I would rent a car and drive home. SFO is better now than it was then (it used to literally cut inbound flights in half any time the ceiling was low and flow control put ground holds on all flights under a certain distance) but it is still bad.

I would happily fly OAK-DEN-East Coast over an SFO-East Coast nonstop.

COSPILOT Nov 21, 2023 10:49 am

Originally Posted by COSBob (Post 35758204)
COS to IAD bring it back.

If memory serves this flight was on a CRJ-700, always packed, and never cheap. I was dumbfounded when UA dropped it.

tods27 Nov 21, 2023 10:59 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 35762074)
If memory serves this flight was on a CRJ-700, always packed, and never cheap. I was dumbfounded when UA dropped it.

Maybe related to government contracts and routes?

SS255 Nov 21, 2023 11:46 am

IAD-AVP. I miss the TK and LH lounge experiences getting to/from AVP.

goodeats21 Nov 21, 2023 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 35762074)

Originally Posted by tods27 (Post 35762100)
Maybe related to government contracts and routes?

Untied finally restored DAY<->DEN in the past couple months, which was axed for COVID, I believe.
I imagine govt traffic helped this one.

WrightBro Nov 21, 2023 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32063137)
A few reasonable connect-the-dots longhaul adds I'd like to see for UA:

EWR-GIG/TPE/ICN/WAW*/BUD*
ORD-TLV
IAD-MXP/ATH*
IAH-ZRH/CDG/OGG
SFO-GRU/FCO*

* seasonal

EK is a huge reason why RTW is dead... there is so much capacity/competition over the EU-South/Southeast Asia traffic flow that the 'connector' segment (e.g., LHR-DEL/HKG) would hemorrhage so much cash as to render the rest of the operation grossly unprofitable.

The closest UA can do now is EWR-DEL-SFO-EWR, which, while polar and not a true circumnavigation, is still pretty cool.

I just had to post to second you (three years later) on wanting an IAD -> MXP route.

econ Nov 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A (Post 35762037)
I would love to see OAK resume, even if only to DEN. This would match what Delta and American do with flights to their mid-mountain hubs. Delta is also trying to compete in OAK-LAX.

Sadly, AA also pulled out of OAK a few years ago. They were doing OAK-DFW/PHX, with relatively limited frequency.

Would really like to see OAK-DEN return, or even an OAK-LAX, but not holding my breath.

EWR764 Nov 21, 2023 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by WrightBro (Post 35762509)
I just had to post to second you (three years later) on wanting an IAD -> MXP route.

Funny blast from the past... and in just two weeks or so, things would change so dramatically!

Of that list, we saw ORD-TLV and SFO-FCO come into existence, and who in February 2020 ever would have thought UA and EK would start cooperating?

elmira56925 Nov 21, 2023 8:19 pm

EWR/IAD-ELM would help me out

Longboater Nov 21, 2023 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 35761756)

Once Russian Airspace reopens, which might not happen this decade, non-TYO flying outside of West Coast hubs should be on the horizon.

Zone1 Nov 21, 2023 8:52 pm

I’m surprised they haven’t tried IAH-CTG yet considering the amount of oil and gas in the area.