Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew [Master thread 2016 onward].

What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew [Master thread 2016 onward].

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 18, 8:05 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Wiki Link
This thread was nearing 1500 posts, spanning over 4 years.

We have split the discussion into: 1) this master thread which covers the discussion from January 2016 to the current; and 2) the pre-2016 posts which are now found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2015-a.html

Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 15, 19, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
IAD-ICN. Two capital cities, lots of Korean-Americans in the DC area, and connections to Asiana in Seoul. I guess they're just afraid of competing with Korean Airlines or there's some sort of Asiana/UA agreement where UA can't fly it since it'd cut in too much to Asiana's US-ICN routes.
IAD/EWR-ICN would make sense, but KE is very strong in both markets (in fact KE also just launched ICN-BOS). However, given financial troubles of OZ, the NYC route may be something UA will want to jump on. UA and OZ are Star alliance frenemies, so I don't see any problem with UA getting into the game.
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
SJC-DCA won't happen, if only because of slot limits at DCA. SJC-IAD would be a possibility. I think SJC is in a bit of a funny place in the UA route system; they're always going to be afraid of cannibalizing demand into SFO.

For comparison's sake, SIN-SFO is 7339 nm and SIN-LAX is 7621 nm -- and, the latter UA wasn't able to make work profitably. Also, QF has their 787-9 at 42J/28PE/166Y= 236 total; UA's is 48J/88E+/116Y = 252 total. I really don't think UA could launch SFO-PER without significant seat blocking.

One thing they might do is try adding something like SFO-CNS-PER or SFO-BNE-PER. They have a couple of these domestically now on Untied Express, and while it's obviously not as nice as a nonstop, it could allow them to serve two markets, neither of which might be profitable on their own.
They have to wait for the arrival of the A350s.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Platinum Elite; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post

They have to wait for the arrival of the A350s.
Is there really demand for PER-US (or vice versa)? Id love to go there, but not sure I see the business flyers having a need. Maybe you can get enough folks to fly IAH-SFO-PER once/if UA gets the planes to do so.
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:46 am

On back of EWR-CPT getting started, here are some more fun seasonal routes I wish UA would look into:

EWR-RAK
EWR-MCT
SFO-DPS
SFO-BCN

and of course...SFO-BKK

Unfortunately Im not sure any of these are realistically routes that would have high J spend for leisure...I would venture DPS Sheryl because of length, but Bali is a pretty cheap place to do in luxury.
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:52 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Bring back Bahrain - IAD or better yet start Dammam, KSA to Chicago! Never happen perhaps but it is a wish.
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:32 pm

Programs: United GS, SPG & Marriott Platinum
Will United ever consider bringing back BKK again? Either SFO/ORD/EWR-BKK direct or Via HND/NRT?
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:31 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
BKK, SGN and MNL would be nice.

EWR-VIE would be awesome!
cesco.g likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kittiyut View Post
Will United ever consider bringing back BKK again? Either SFO/ORD/EWR-BKK direct or Via HND/NRT?
There are many of us that are hopeful. Consensus seems to be it would be SFO direct, if it ever happens.

Doubtful it would ever be NRT/HND. United is out of the business of tag on flights from Intl hubs. They much prefer to sell the leg on ANA, and take a portion of the revenue via their Joint Venture Agreement.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:30 am

47 pages and no mention of LAX-CHC

(SFO-CHC was mentioned, but I think if CHC is to be launched it will be AKL, being the only CHC-USA, they will need as much O&D as they can get with LAX being superior to SFO in that regard).
Old Apr 24, 19, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post

(SFO-CHC was mentioned, but I think if CHC is to be launched it will be AKL, being the only CHC-USA, they will need as much O&D as they can get with LAX being superior to SFO in that regard).
I think UA has a formal JV in place with NZ - Im sure theyd be happy to sell AKL-CHC on NZ metal if they get a cut of revenue. Personally, Im a bit biased against CHC as a South Island destination...ZQN would be much better, but the airstrip is way too small for widebodies - even a narrowbody has to really gun it to take off.
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post

UA is not really adding service from LAX, most new Pacific service is being started at SFO as they have a bigger hub there which allows more connections
Old Apr 25, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS
My yearly pitch for (at least seasonal!) IAD-PVR!!
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLAT, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bdw1120 View Post
EWR-VIE would be awesome!
Austrian already flies this daily. OS90/OS89
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another route Id like to see United start is SFO-DUB. Aer Lingus has been successfully flying this route for almost five years, supported by companies such as Google and Facebook. Its a bit much having a foreign carrier siphon off business travelers from Silicon Valleyand the biotech hub in and around South City.
Old May 22, 19, 12:41 pm

In flying out to Maui on a 77W, I do wonder why the East Coast can’t get either EWR-OGG or IAD-OGG. If they can fly a widebody plane there from multiple locations, I would have to think that there should be demand to fill a 763/764 from there (I assume an HD 772 doesn’t work due to length restrictions). It would also give a direct redeye with early-morning arrival, instead of having to leave early to make the HNL flight (via a short OGG-HNL hop) or getting in midday or later by flying the redeye to one of the other hubs.

Search this Thread