FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1863367-what-route-s-do-you-wish-ua-flew.html)

findark Feb 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32068274)
There's an awful lot of money in the Bay Area. It wouldn't surprise me if this were actually true.

I obviously can't prove it, but I am pretty sure SFO is the wealthiest market with only one carrier hubbed there by a significant margin. Obviously can debate if AS/WN counts, etc.

DA201 Feb 13, 2020 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32067777)
AA starting SEA-BLR...interesting route. Unfortunately I don’t think UA can make SFO-BLR, and probably not enough demand to makE EWR-BLR work on top of their DEL and BOM routes.

Very interesting route for AA, and they will be relying on Alaska for connectivity in order to make the route work. SEA is the 8th largest US destination from BLR with over 45/50 PDEW, but SFO is ~4x as big, LA is roughly the same size, and DFW is ~50% bigger. They are heavily chasing Microsoft employees, who were previously routed on SQ via SIN and EK via DXB.

EWR-BLR could definitely work given the plane can make it (which it definitely can). NYC-BLR is more than 130 PDEW, and BOS, ORD, and DC have more than 170 PDEW amongst themselves, providing an adequate feed. HYD is another similarly profiled city that could work.

skidooman Feb 13, 2020 12:41 pm

AA going SEA-BLR?

What it inspires me -> duh! Of course!

This was bound to happen one day or another. BLR is home to so many tech companies, and the domestic planes taking off in the evening, especially those commuting at the international Mumbai and Delhi terminals, have a healthy number of Americans trying to get back home. Not counting all the Americans flying off Bangalore to Europe in the wee of night on LH, AF and BA. And truth be told, when I try to buy my way on UA to DEL or BOM in business, it is always pretty expensive - ZHR, FRA and YYZ are always cheaper (and I could get JFK->BOM for a good price, but how long will it last?)

The problem for United I feel is the following: from which US city? Sure, EWR immediately comes to mind. But there is roughly 200 more miles to go (over 8,300 miles). Does United even have a plane for such a mission? EWR-HKG is a bit over 8,000, and UA flies this route with its GE-equipped 772 so I guess 300 miles is possible, but I am not sure. Perhaps others can speak with more confidence about this.

This route would be subject to the Pakistanis closing their airspace just like the two existing routes.

On the other hand, NYC has lots of bankers, which might explain the popularity of BOM in J. Tech companies? Less. There is of course BOS and IAD that could funnel more people, so I guess this could still be profitable. Still, ideally, you would like SFO. But there, technically speaking, they don't have a plane for that type of mission, right?

One last detail: if I were to fly Y, which I am no longer, but... if I were, I would be a tad weary on food service here. I mean, 16 hours in the air? I hope AA doesn't plan on two meals.

spartacusmcfly Feb 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 32068517)
Very interesting route for AA, and they will be relying on Alaska for connectivity in order to make the route work. SEA is the 8th largest US destination from BLR with over 45/50 PDEW, but SFO is ~4x as big, LA is roughly the same size, and DFW is ~50% bigger. They are heavily chasing Microsoft employees, who were previously routed on SQ via SIN and EK via DXB.

EWR-BLR could definitely work given the plane can make it (which it definitely can). NYC-BLR is more than 130 PDEW, and BOS, ORD, and DC have more than 170 PDEW amongst themselves, providing an adequate feed. HYD is another similarly profiled city that could work.

Wow, so SEA, SFO & LAX total ~300 PDEW into BLR, with SFO being 200 of the 300. Wish they had the frames to serve this market as the routing is pretty good -- especially if the competition is SQ and EK:

SEA-SFO-BLR = 9,380 mi
SEA-DXB-BLR = 9,100 mi
SEA-SIN-BLR = 10,045 mi

Combine that with 7x day between SEA-SFO plus the Polaris lounge, that's a pretty good option...

EWR764 Feb 13, 2020 1:00 pm

The 'actual' track for SEA-BLR is around 7200nm, since you can't go Great Circle over the Himalayas. At 7200nm, that's almost as far as SFO-SIN, but with less wind (seasonally). SFO-BLR in service would come in around 7800nm, considerably longer than LAX-SIN (7600nm). So, I don't see UA starting that with a 789.

EWR-BLR, on the other hand, has long been a possibility, and might just become a reality if AA sees any success with SEA-BLR.

That said, we'll see how well AA does on the route, with minimal online feed, a weak SEA point of sale, no India presence (no partner feed) and no joint venture with AS. The AS codeshare is nice, but falls a good ways down the order of preference as compared to online or JV feed. AA/AS will also have to compete with EK/SQ/CX from major US cities with one-stop itineraries.

AA's 789 is configured pretty densely, at 285 seats, and only 30J. I'd be surprised if AA can operate this without blocking seats, even on a polar route.

spartacusmcfly Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 32068517)
HYD is another similarly profiled city that could work.

This is very interesting. Why doesn't UA launch this service? GCM says:

SFO-HYD = 8,422 mi (which is shorter than SFO-SIN at 8,444 mi)

Interestingly, MSFT's has a vast R&D presence across multiple southern India cities, but HYD is their formal India HQ.

EWR764 Feb 13, 2020 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post 32068652)
This is very interesting. Why doesn't UA launch this service? GCM says:

GCM won't tell you that you can't fly pax over (most of) the Himalayas

Jetpig32 Feb 13, 2020 5:49 pm

SFO-DEL is about 7250nm eastbound polar/near polar routing. SFO-HYD would be around 7850nm similar routing. 787-9. Extra 600nm, at FL410, 1:25, 15,000lbs of fuel. Considering FLT104 usually at max structural takeoff weight, there would be a hit on pax or revenue cargo.

EWR764 Feb 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jetpig32 (Post 32069607)
SFO-DEL is about 7250nm eastbound polar/near polar routing. SFO-HYD would be around 7850nm similar routing. 787-9. Extra 600nm, at FL410, 1:25, 15,000lbs of fuel. Considering FLT104 usually at max structural takeoff weight, there would be a hit on pax or revenue cargo.

That's about right. SFO-DEL is usually planned at about 6950nm and actual is around 7200nm. The route is typically polar until around Uzbekistan, where it will then flow west over Afghanistan and across Pakistan into Indian airspace, to avoid high-elevation terrain to the east.

laughinlab2001 Feb 13, 2020 6:36 pm

My vote is ANY additional routes out of SNA.

2020 Airports: CDG, DEN, GRU, HAM, LAX, LIH, ORD, SAN, SFO, SNA

flyingrohit Feb 13, 2020 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by laughinlab2001 (Post 32069838)
My vote is ANY additional routes out of SNA.

2020 Airports: CDG, DEN, GRU, HAM, LAX, LIH, ORD, SAN, SFO, SNA

This is my home airport and I will gladly accept any additional routes with open arms from SNA. But, with the exception of IAD, you can fly to every UA hub from SNA and since SNA isn't a hub, I don't see UA opening any other routes out of SNA. But I would love it just as much as you would!

PsiFighter37 Feb 13, 2020 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit (Post 32069853)
This is my home airport and I will gladly accept any additional routes with open arms from SNA. But, with the exception of IAD, you can fly to every UA hub from SNA and since SNA isn't a hub, I don't see UA opening any other routes out of SNA. But I would love it just as much as you would!

What about SNA-LAX? Save yourself from that SoCal traffic by doing an ultra-short hop on the Devil’s Chariot! :p

riphamilton Feb 13, 2020 7:25 pm

don't forget that for the return, BLR itself is at 3000' AMSL (similar to ELP). days range from warm to hot throughout the year. although the BLR departure would probably be during the coolest part of the day.

if the route wasn't so technically challenging, i think UA would be on it at this point.

flyingrohit Feb 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32069944)
What about SNA-LAX? Save yourself from that SoCal traffic by doing an ultra-short hop on the Devil’s Chariot! :p

LOL, But if I enjoy the 45 min-1 hour drive to LAX. Who doesn't love a traffic jam on 91 and 105 on the daily. :D

Magic Bus Feb 14, 2020 11:50 am

Another southern India destination I'd like would be MAA. Transferring from Intl to domestic terminals in DEL or BOM is such a nightmare, I usually fly to SIN, then SQ to MAA.