FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1863367-what-route-s-do-you-wish-ua-flew.html)

dliesse Apr 18, 2024 3:48 pm

This thread has been around so long that I may have said this before, but so it goes.

Once upon a time, UA was the dominant carrier in SEA. Then various management teams decided to start punting certain routes (most notably to HNL and LHR), and now UA is a distant third or fourth, well behind AS and DL (and somewhere in the vicinity of WN -- I haven't looked up actual statistics, and it would depend on what measurement you use, anyway). I'd settle for the return of SEA flights to other than the hub cities. Don't think there's enough traffic (yet) to support competition on my preferred route to STS, but it would be nice to have an alternative that doesn't involve a nearly 2-hour bus ride from SFO or OAK.

CALMSP Apr 18, 2024 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dliesse (Post 36171138)
This thread has been around so long that I may have said this before, but so it goes.

Once upon a time, UA was the dominant carrier in SEA. Then various management teams decided to start punting certain routes (most notably to HNL and LHR), and now UA is a distant third or fourth, well behind AS and DL (and somewhere in the vicinity of WN -- I haven't looked up actual statistics, and it would depend on what measurement you use, anyway). I'd settle for the return of SEA flights to other than the hub cities. Don't think there's enough traffic (yet) to support competition on my preferred route to STS, but it would be nice to have an alternative that doesn't involve a nearly 2-hour bus ride from SFO or OAK.

when was SEA-LHR on UA? I started flying out of SEA in 1998 and don't remember that.

yeah, can't see a SEA-STS on UA ever. AS it will be!

I did like when UA added the weekend 752 service to HNL from both SAN/SEA, wish a few of those would come back.

MsTravelBug Apr 19, 2024 6:59 pm

ORD-BER

sonyeoshin Apr 19, 2024 7:05 pm

Would like to see DUS, MAN, and VIE have UA service.

LaserSailor Apr 20, 2024 12:54 am

I’m gunning for

ARS-MUC
LIV-MAN

With free Premier 1k upgrades

jd916 Apr 20, 2024 5:26 am

The morning direct IAD-LHR. Seasonally at least if not year-round.

Dyce Apr 20, 2024 7:08 am

I doubt we’ll see much if any new routes for the next couple of years due to the new A/C delivery and safety issues.

however, when they do start to expand again, I’d really like to see MCO being developed as a true hub, and from there increased Caribbean routes being added. Weekend flights to EIS and SVD would be a good start…

PsiFighter37 Apr 20, 2024 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Dyce (Post 36174812)
I doubt we’ll see much if any new routes for the next couple of years due to the new A/C delivery and safety issues.

That was already showing up this year, where UA's summer TATL route announcements were far fewer than before. Only EWR-FAO was a new route, and that's been iced as a result of the FAA review of UA's practices. Until UA gets more 787s and 321XLRs, I cannot see them truly expanding their network over either ocean in a meaningful fashion, but I could still see some incremental route adds.

mbluecpa Apr 20, 2024 7:44 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP (Post 36171240)
when was SEA-LHR on UA? I started flying out of SEA in 1998 and don't remember that.

It was one of the LHR routes acquired from PA in 90 or 91; I don’t believe it lasted that long. The other prior UA routes from SEA (thinking the Express operation, ANC, TYO) all have quite a lot of capacity now so would be tough to break back into.

MiltonFreedMan Apr 20, 2024 8:23 am

IAH-AKL because id rather fly them than anz

sharmaintl Apr 20, 2024 5:27 pm

Iad-blr / hyd
iad-sin

CALMSP Apr 20, 2024 6:49 pm

realistically speaking (no pipe dreams), would like to see over the next 2-4 years:

EWR-PRG/BUD/VIE/WAW/COS/CAI
EWR (321)-LGW/BHX/BFS/BRS/BOD/LYS/SVQ/STR/STN/LUX/DUS/CGN/ORK/GLA/NCL
ORD-LIM
DEN-BOG/CDG/AMS
IAH-CDG/CTG/BAQ/
IAD-DXB/NCE
LAX-COS

Nayef Apr 21, 2024 12:25 am

I don't remember if I or anyone else mentioned this wishlist route before, but DEN-DXB would be the dream.

ll22949 Apr 21, 2024 4:26 am

Originally Posted by mbluecpa (Post 36174896)
It was one of the LHR routes acquired from PA in 90 or 91; I don’t believe it lasted that long. The other prior UA routes from SEA (thinking the Express operation, ANC, TYO) all have quite a lot of capacity now so would be tough to break back into.

I used to love SEA NRT. Typically an easy upgrade, the FA's were usually older, seasoned and quite incredible, and customs was quick. I remember one specific flight in Global First on a 747. I was not feeling well and told the FA I would skip dinner. I don't know how she did it but she took the fruit bowl that was usually placed on the center console and make me a huge fruit plate of cut fruit. I ended up eating it, both to not disappoint her after all her effort, and it looked great. She checked on me almost every hour. I miss those days.

CPS89 Apr 21, 2024 8:34 am

As someone who spends time in Chicago and works for a company with an HQ in Connecticut, I pray for the return of ORD-HPN. AA still flies this route directly, but with no competition, this route is commonly $500-800 midweek roundtrip.

Meaning I'm stuck with a layover somewhere on DL/UA and/or flying into LGA and sitting in traffic for hours because I don't want to fight with the Concur police.