Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- preview June 1, 2018 (tickets for miles); open June 4

Old Aug 26, 17, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 3MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Spire

I just got this update about the EWR Polaris lounge in an email from United.

We have several lounge construction projects underway that will completely renovate all of our United ClubSM locations at New York/Newark. Here is what you need to know:

United Polaris® lounge. We're converting a section of the United Club location in Terminal C, near Gate C120 into a brand-new United Polaris lounge. The club will remain open during renovations, but please note that showers will no longer be available beginning September 6, 2017.
Old Aug 26, 17, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAHMCI View Post
I just got this update about the EWR Polaris lounge in an email from United.

We have several lounge construction projects underway that will completely renovate all of our United ClubSM locations at New York/Newark. Here is what you need to know:

United Polaris® lounge. We're converting a section of the United Club location in Terminal C, near Gate C120 into a brand-new United Polaris lounge. The club will remain open during renovations, but please note that showers will no longer be available beginning September 6, 2017.
Given how many international flights (especially in the TATL bank in the evening) EWR has, converting 'a section' of the C3 club will woefully underserve flyers at that time of day.
Old Aug 26, 17, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
No showers at ewr until polaris lounge opens

Got an email saying no uc showers starting September 6th to make way for polaris. Gonna miss them as i usually had one before and after my tatl legs.

I wonder if the uc will offer sponges sponsored by scotchbrite as an alternative
Old Aug 26, 17, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
I got the same email about the upcoming SFO lounge. They're basically nothing more than "we're way behind schedule and have absolutely no idea when we'll be done" messages.
Old Aug 26, 17, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by IAHMCI View Post
... showers will no longer be available beginning September 6, 2017.
Dammit... I'm landing in EWR at 4:30am on the 7th and was looking forward to a shower.

Looks like they have already removed the shower icon from the lounge on the United website.
Old Aug 29, 17, 5:41 pm

Does anyone think it's a realistic hope that the EWR Polaris Lounge will be open and running by June 2018? I just booked Polaris class EWR-TLV for early June and will have a 5 hour layover at EWR, so I hope so. Any progress reports would be appreciated!
Old Aug 29, 17, 7:01 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
can I go in the polaris lounge, i'm flying out a united rewards flight EWR to FRA to DEL (Lufthansa) to AMD.. ?
Old Aug 29, 17, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by Dhamal View Post
can I go in the polaris lounge, i'm flying out a united rewards flight EWR to FRA to DEL (Lufthansa) to AMD.. ?
There isn't a Polaris lounge yet in EWR, so the short answer is no.

If there were and you were flying F or C on LH, then yes.
Old Aug 29, 17, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
There isn't a Polaris lounge yet in EWR, so the short answer is no.

If there were and you were flying F or C on LH, then yes.
Of course, if you're flying F or have *G status, then you might prefer the LH Senator Lounge to a likely overcrowded Polaris Lounge. Flying in C, the LH Business Lounge may/may not be better based on crowd size as well. Plus, you wouldn't have to leave early to get over to Terminal B.
Old Aug 29, 17, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the removal of showers kills me. i fly LAX-EWR redeyes often, so now the *A lounge in TBIT is what i'll have to do.
Old Aug 29, 17, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton View Post
the removal of showers kills me. i fly LAX-EWR redeyes often, so now the *A lounge in TBIT is what i'll have to do.
I can see business travelers utilizing the showers after work and before the TATL flights, but I agree with you that the most likely passengers using the EWR showers would be ones coming off of redeyes from LAX/SFO and connecting passengers from GRU and LIM (soon EZE). If there are any UCs that should have showers, it would be EWR.
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:27 am

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
This pisses me off. I chose a Polaris flight 6 months ago, before I knew it wouldn't have seats installed, no pjs (my flight is 50 minutes too short to qualify) and no lounge. But the ..... of it is closing the showers in the UA club. I choose my flights so I can shower at the club right before I fly to Athens. I'm coming from DTW to EWR, then arrive ATH (no showers at Aegean or Lufthansa lounges) have a 6 hour layover before flying to Rhodes. I do believe that'll be the longest I've ever gone without bathing.

It worries me that EWR UA is cutting the showers. Are they now only going to be for the Polaris Lounge whenever that gets done? EWR needs a UA club with a shower. I pay for my membership every year and use the showers in the clubs in EWR and IAH. If I'd known about this I would've paid the extra money to fly through ORD!
Old Aug 31, 17, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by thaliajen View Post
This pisses me off. I chose a Polaris flight 6 months ago, before I knew it wouldn't have seats installed, no pjs (my flight is 50 minutes too short to qualify) and no lounge. But the ..... of it is closing the showers in the UA club. I choose my flights so I can shower at the club right before I fly to Athens. I'm coming from DTW to EWR, then arrive ATH (no showers at Aegean or Lufthansa lounges) have a 6 hour layover before flying to Rhodes. I do believe that'll be the longest I've ever gone without bathing.

It worries me that EWR UA is cutting the showers. Are they now only going to be for the Polaris Lounge whenever that gets done? EWR needs a UA club with a shower. I pay for my membership every year and use the showers in the clubs in EWR and IAH. If I'd known about this I would've paid the extra money to fly through ORD!
Moving forward, seems that showers are not going to be a part of the United Club experience. United removed the shower from the EWR Terminal A Club when they remodeled. And the newly remodeled clubs at ORD do not have showers either.
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thaliajen View Post
I do believe that'll be the longest I've ever gone without bathing.
That's about 24 hours total en route. I'm sure you'll survive.
Old Aug 31, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Moving forward, seems that showers are not going to be a part of the United Club experience. United removed the shower from the EWR Terminal A Club when they remodeled. And the newly remodeled clubs at ORD do not have showers either.
Maybe UA will make arrangements with on or near-property hotels for a few hours per passenger. I wonder whether the average airport hotel has a higher percentage of early-departing/evening-arriving passengers than non-airport hotels, which would mean plenty of inventory to sell for a few hours in the morning for arriving flights.

Search this Thread