Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- preview June 1, 2018 (tickets for miles); open June 4

EWR Polaris lounge -- preview June 1, 2018 (tickets for miles); open June 4

Old Jun 1, 18, 1:47 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Maybe call the MP desk and see if any of the passes are available for 2500pts. maybe you can get lucky and they give you a pass for your timeslot.
ah - misunderstood and thought the passes were only available TODAY.
Old Jun 1, 18, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
Maybe call the MP desk and see if any of the passes are available for 2500pts. maybe you can get lucky and they give you a pass for your timeslot.
ah - misunderstood and thought the passes were only available TODAY. .
You correctly understood, passes are only for June 1. (and are sold out for the rest of today)

There were no "soft openings" admissions for the ORD or SFO and would not expect any for June 3 at EWR.
Old Jun 1, 18, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott LT Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Yes, and they were directing anyone without an invitation away to one of the two other clubs (even if they were in Polaris) stating that it was opening 6/4.
Old Jun 1, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I attended the media event yesterday and it's a spectacular lounge, though the configuration is more dense than at SFO -- it's going to be packed in the evenings. Overall, United has done a superb job. The only thing I was not able to try was the restaurant, but I'm looking forward to returning as a customer in a few days.

Still can't believe this space used to be the United Club.

I have written a complete in-depth review for loungereview.com: https://loungereview.com/first-look-...k-ewr-airport/

DISCLAIMER: I contribute to loungereview.com.
Old Jun 1, 18, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
ah - misunderstood and thought the passes were only available TODAY.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
You correctly understood, passes are only for June 1. (and are sold out for the rest of today)

There were no "soft openings" admissions for the ORD or SFO and would not expect any for June 3 at EWR.

Yup, that is on me, i saw the passes when they appeared on the mileage plus exclusive whatever website. There was several passes, I just figured they would have soft opening all 3 days, I went back and looked and they weren't even in the closed section, so I guessed.
Old Jun 1, 18, 5:08 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I just “snuck” in after a snarky exchange with the attendant at the door. I had no idea it was invite only but 1k on a TPAC itinerary got me in.

It is colossal compared to the old layout - like the set up so far, set up like BOS to maximize planespotting. Early results on the food are a huge improvement and huge variety. It definitely takes the sting out of waiting 50 mins on the tarmac for a gate.
Old Jun 1, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
For those interested, here's the layout of the EWR Polaris lounge in a brochure from today's preview:

As noted above, the lounge is packed quite densely, trade-off due to larger kitchen, more restrooms, and shower suites. Overall, very good improvement.
Old Jun 1, 18, 5:59 pm

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Pat Plus View Post
I have written a complete in-depth review for loungereview.com: https://loungereview.com/first-look-...k-ewr-airport/
s

​​
​​​​​Great review. Thanks!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 1, 18, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
For those interested, here's the layout of the EWR Polaris lounge in a brochure from today's preview:

As noted above, the lounge is packed quite densely, trade-off due to larger kitchen, more restrooms, and shower suites. Overall, very good improvement.
I like the map. We never got one for the ORD one (or maybe I missed it) to the point that when they changed the location of the dining section area nobody could find it.
Old Jun 2, 18, 1:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Air Houston View Post
I will miss the preview and guess I won’t be able to try out the lounge on my June 3 trip either.

if anyone sees any execs during the preview please ask them to give us back lunch in domestic F.
Domestic F lunch has already been officially UNSNACKED.
Old Jun 2, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bummed that I missed this opening by two days. Sitting in the C74 club now and it is packed (as usual)
Old Jun 2, 18, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by Imstevek View Post
I just “snuck” in after a snarky exchange with the attendant at the door. I had no idea it was invite only but 1k on a TPAC itinerary got me in.
Huh, we were just told 1k on TPAC polaris was fine to get in; maybe you paved the way. After 5, lounge looked gorgeous, not crowded. Had risotto and hamburger: both acceptable. Private unisex toilets are pleasant and will hopefully encourage cleanliness all around.
Old Jun 3, 18, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by taipeipeter View Post
Huh, we were just told 1k on TPAC polaris was fine to get in; maybe you paved the way. After 5, lounge looked gorgeous, not crowded. Had risotto and hamburger: both acceptable. Private unisex toilets are pleasant and will hopefully encourage cleanliness all around.
It will be interesting to see what the lounge does look like around 5 PM once it fully opens. I would think that prior to the TATL departure bank, it could get quite packed. My hope is that the number of J passengers is less than the number of folks who used to crowd into the prior UC around that time.

The folks who fly the TPAC flights from EWR should always have an excellent experience, though - the lounge is never going to be filled to capacity for the flights to PVG/PEK/NRT. People on EWR-HKG, being mid-afternoon before the TATL flights, will basically have the lounge to themselves.

I know UA will almost certainly never do this, but I wonder if they might consider allowances to Polaris lounge for westbound p.s. flights before a certain time (say, 4 PM) or for EWR-HNL (which is early morning and would only have people on the early-morning EWR-LHR flight in the lounge at that time). Based on the above analysis, the lounge is going to have substantial excess capacity outside of the late afternoon/evening flights.
Old Jun 3, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post

I know UA will almost certainly never do this, but I wonder if they might consider allowances to Polaris lounge for westbound p.s. flights before a certain time (say, 4 PM) or for EWR-HNL (which is early morning and would only have people on the early-morning EWR-LHR flight in the lounge at that time). Based on the above analysis, the lounge is going to have substantial excess capacity outside of the late afternoon/evening flights.
They should at least allow access for those of us who are Club members who fly Business on ps flights. Currently we are getting shafted by paying twice for access and having over-crowded lounges that are less comfortable than the terminals themselves.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 3, 18, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
.... having over-crowded lounges that are less comfortable than the terminals themselves.
It will be interesting to see if the opening of EWR Polaris Lounge will improve the present over crowding in the UCs, it has seemed to help in SFO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: