Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Just took off right now. Ferried down from ORD empty. Looks like half full up front, and mostly filled in back. Only aircraft flying right now in the Houston area.
I wonder if they are getting more crews in position to start adding flights to the schedule out of other hubs?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
It seems that a UA 77W is operating ORD-IAH-ORD this evening:

Could it be potentially bringing in DR staff and equipment?
Yep.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Just took off right now. Ferried down from ORD empty. Looks like half full up front, and mostly filled in back. Only aircraft flying right now in the Houston area.

What's the backstory on your journey, tuolumne? Glad to hear you're safe.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:48 pm

Does anyone know the status of the flooding around IAH itself, particularly in the parking lots? I know this is still going on so it can change.

I'm a Houston resident with a car parked in Ecopark (on JFK), and I'm wondering how likely it is that I will have a usable car whenever I will be able to actually return to Houston.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sariellet
Does anyone know the status of the flooding around IAH itself, particularly in the parking lots? I know this is still going on so it can change.

I'm a Houston resident with a car parked in Ecopark (on JFK), and I'm wondering how likely it is that I will have a usable car whenever I will be able to actually return to Houston.
Why don't you call Ecopark? Ive had another operator (Fast Park, when they were off Greens Road) actually check on my vehicle (for an open window) in the past (it was closed). Rocket Parking actually taped some plastic over my window on another occasion on their own initiative (I left it open).

From what I've read, it looks like most of the problems at IAH is flooding closer to Beltway 8.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 27, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Update from the premiere line just now on IAH opps when I called to inquire about my Thursday morning flight to DEN and if I should consider re-booking since it's on the last day of the waiver. Agent stated first that this waiver may actually be further extended, but also stated that they expects things to be mostly normal by Thursday but to keep checking regularly, re-booking at this point though would be premature she thought especially with the frequency of flights per day on the route and likelihood they could get me one something even with cancellations. She also stated that barring and further setbacks, they do still plan to resume flights and opps tomorrow night and get everything up and running again ASAP.

Last edited by gradsflyer; Aug 27, 2017 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
What's the backstory on your journey, tuolumne? Glad to hear you're safe.
Oh no no, I was not on that flight! I'm safely in the Bay Area at the moment
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Update from the premiere line just now on IAH opps when I called to inquire about my Thursday morning flight to DEN and if I should consider re-booking since it's on the last day of the waiver. Agent stated first that this waiver may actually be further extended, but also stated that they expects things to be mostly normal by Thursday but to keep checking regularly, re-booking at this point though would be premature she thought especially with the frequency of flights per day on the route and likelihood they could get me one something even with cancellations. She also stated that barring and further setbacks, they do still plan to resume flights and opps tomorrow night and get everything up and running again ASAP.
The problem is that nobody really knows yet -- including the agent you spoke with. As the week goes on, the big problem is flooding, and I'm not sure anyone has an accurate prediction about that. It sounds like you're local so you can see how it goes this week. If I were scheduled to connect at IAH, I wouldn't want to have any part of that for the next week, and would try to reschedule. I remember living in Miami for Hurricane Andrew, and these things can take awhile to get back up and running. And the "good thing" about Andrew in Miami was that the storm blew through and people could start the repairs. Nobody really knows how long Houston's ordeal is going to last.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
The problem is that nobody really knows yet -- including the agent you spoke with. As the week goes on, the big problem is flooding, and I'm not sure anyone has an accurate prediction about that. It sounds like you're local so you can see how it goes this week. If I were scheduled to connect at IAH, I wouldn't want to have any part of that for the next week, and would try to reschedule. I remember living in Miami for Hurricane Andrew, and these things can take awhile to get back up and running. And the "good thing" about Andrew in Miami was that the storm blew through and people could start the repairs. Nobody really knows how long Houston's ordeal is going to last.
I agree wholeheartedly. The forecast for the remainder of the week looks quite scary -- the last that I saw, Harvey was predicted to head back out into the Gulf and then make a second landfall somewhere in the Houston area. The NOAA/NWS Weather Prediction Center issued this 5-day precipitation forecast earlier today:

This is for 5 days from Sunday evening at 7 PM, so the 20+" you see there is in addition to the 20+" of rain the Houston area has already received.

If this forecast is accurate -- and, with the weather, you can never tell -- things won't be back to normal for days.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I live in Houston and its an absolute mess with no end in sight. They are talking about another 15" of rain over the next 3 days. Just about anything could happen though, 25" could drop on IAH in the next 24 hours. Im only about 10 miles from IAH and we have been getting non-stop rain over the past 24 hours, about 15". I need to get to Baltimore by Wednesday this week and Im looking at maybe driving to Dallas to get a flight into IAD most likely. Although Im fairly certain I can get to Dallas, the news is repeatedly stressing staying put so Im double guessing making the trek!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:58 pm

Have a flight connecting to ELP through IAH on Sept 2 and 5. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by khkchan
Have a flight connecting to ELP through IAH on Sept 2 and 5. Fingers crossed.
I would do anything I can to try to get that changed. Odds are they will increase the weather waiver and you should be able to do it for free.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mike2003242
I would do anything I can to try to get that changed. Odds are they will increase the weather waiver and you should be able to do it for free.
Hopefully sooner rather than later on the waiver. We've got SMF - IAH - RDU on tap next weekend and the longer they wait on the waiver the higher risk of no available seats
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:33 am

We have reservations for MEM to SFO (via IAH) this Thursday.

This is for our 30th anniversary / Hubby's 50th Birthday trip (Sonoma is our final destination).

Everything is paid for, and can't get a refund on Sonoma reservations this late, so really hope we can get there.

We aren't frequent travelers, so looking for advice. Should we just go ahead and book ourselves on another airline - say Delta (goes through ATL) or American (Charlotte)? Will be a bit more expensive to do that, but I suppose it's more important to pay the extra cost of last minute booking through them (as opposed to not being able to go at all).

I realize United has issued a travel waiver, but that just allows me to change dates, right? And we can't change the dates
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by arroway
We have reservations for MEM to SFO (via IAH) this Thursday.

This is for our 30th anniversary / Hubby's 50th Birthday trip (Sonoma is our final destination).

Everything is paid for, and can't get a refund on Sonoma reservations this late, so really hope we can get there.

We aren't frequent travelers, so looking for advice. Should we just go ahead and book ourselves on another airline - say Delta (goes through ATL) or American (Charlotte)? Will be a bit more expensive to do that, but I suppose it's more important to pay the extra cost of last minute booking through them (as opposed to not being able to go at all).

I realize United has issued a travel waiver, but that just allows me to change dates, right? And we can't change the dates
You can also change the routing. Call united and ask them to route you through Denver instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.