Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver for HKG (Confirmed): Tropical Storms Hato / Pakhar / Mawar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
New travel waiver for HKG for Topical Storm Mawar

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver for HKG (Confirmed): Tropical Storms Hato / Pakhar / Mawar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by schnitzer
I have a mileage run for this weekend.

Do you think I can simply ask for mileage credits?
Do you think they will also do million miler credits?
What's your current MR? You could play this one of a couple ways. We're you going to HKG? Maybe push your luck for Singapore instead on SFO-SIN? Longshot, but this is a good time to get creative. Or maybe just a day in Tokyo and go the ORC route.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
There were many diversions inbound to Hong Kong because of the storm. Nrt, Kix, Icn. The flights did not continue to Hong Kong after the diversion. Did United have additional revenue sections from the cities back to the states?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BThumme
What's your current MR? You could play this one of a couple ways. We're you going to HKG? Maybe push your luck for Singapore instead on SFO-SIN? Longshot, but this is a good time to get creative. Or maybe just a day in Tokyo and go the ORC route.
it's a MR, already creative lol:

YVR-SFO-LAX-HNL-GUM-HKG [stop] KIX-GUM-HNL-DEN-SFO-YVR
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
New travel waiver for HKG -- Tropical Storm Pakhar

Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
New travel waiver for HKG -- Tropical Storm Pakhar

I'm flying SFO-HKG tomorrow. No e-mail or indication that change fee is waived online...

Not that I want to change, but we'll see. I rather not land in a typhoon. What happened to UA flights for Hato?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:21 pm

Will there be a waiver for Tropical Storm Mawar?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
I had a business trip SIN-HKG-SIN last week. United canceled outbount SIN-HKG and refunded me the ticket of first leg. I bought oneway ticket from SQ and still take UA HKG-SIN. I still got EQM and million miles.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by sincx
Will there be a waiver for Tropical Storm Mawar?
Really hope it will. UA896 in PJ on Monday. CX has already issued the weather waiver, and most flights have been zeroed out until Tuesday. If CX holds all inventory, ex-HKG pax are definitely stranded Sunday, and Monday will be a mess. May not even have the reliable CX option for IRROPs now if CX holds all the revenue inventories.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Had an interesting experience with the pending Tropical Cyclone Mawar which is supposed to impact flights on Sept 3, although no UA waiver for it yet...

I was due to arrive into HKG on UA159 connecting to a Cathay flight to HGH (Hangzhou), all on a UA ticket. Cathay was prudent to issue a waiver, but since there was nothing from UA, a lengthy call to the 1K desk confirmed Cathay's waiver and re-accommodated on all UA metal avoiding HKG.

UA really needs to post their waivers quicker.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Had an interesting experience with the pending Tropical Cyclone Mawar which is supposed to impact flights on Sept 3, although no UA waiver for it yet...

I was due to arrive into HKG on UA159 connecting to a Cathay flight to HGH (Hangzhou), all on a UA ticket. Cathay was prudent to issue a waiver, but since there was nothing from UA, a lengthy call to the 1K desk confirmed Cathay's waiver and re-accommodated on all UA metal avoiding HKG.

UA really needs to post their waivers quicker.
The current projection from the Hong Kong Observatory steers the storm north of Hong Kong. I'm expecting some wind and rain, but not that which would be associated with a direct (or even close) hit.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:08 pm

Waiver is out. Sept. 2 through 4.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sincx
Waiver is out. Sept. 2 through 4.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No waiver from AA (my s/o is on tonight's flight so watching closely). Is UA overreacting?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA GS
I was in Hong Kong on Aug 27, Tropical Storm Pakhar. Tried getting to the airport, when there was high winds and rain. I didn't realize that the Airport Bus were cancelled. While the subway was running, they did not go to the airport.

There were 2 other people waiting at the bus stop also going to the airport. The 3 of us finally flagged a taxi, who charged $1,500 HKD for the trip. The cab stated $1,500 HKD for only 2 passengers. We insisted on 3 and were about to flag another taxi, when they relented.

While it was "highway robbery", I'm not sure what recourse we had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.