Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 9, 22, 1:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: legalalien
Wiki Link
Reopening Sept 13, 2022. If you login, reservations are available starting on that date. See below for the login/check access link.

menu for CLASSIFIED
{now requires login access} -- see here for Aug 2017 version

Check if you were invited:
https://classified.united.com/dining/Login
or classified.united.com/dining


Print Wikipost

Old Sep 6, 22, 5:35 pm
  #571  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman View Post
Wow. Are they serving 24K gold plated Ossetra Caviar? Just don't understand why you would go out of your way and spend extra $$ just to visit "Classified"... Just curious?.

AeRo
Not 24K gold plated, but they *did* have Ossetra-topped oysters as a menu item on a few of my prior visits, plus an incredible whiskey selection (Boss Hog, Pappy) if that's your thing. Stuff that you can't really find elsewhere in the airport.

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Never been myself, but from the sounds of it, it's an oasis in the cesspool that is EWR!
That seems like a good enough reason!
😎
That's exactly it! It is by far the quietest and most elegant area in the entire airport, with excellent service and food to boot. PLs have a limited menu and often a long wait for a seat in the restaurant, I'd rather pay to eat a delicious meal at Classified (assuming the quality remains as solid as it was pre-pandemic) and then head over to the PL for post-dinner drinks before catching a flight than wait for an hour+ for a meh burger, even if it's "free". I'd put the food, service, and ambiance at Classified on par with many 1-star Michelin restaurants in NYC (though don't get me started on that debate, lol).
legalalien, narvik and manstein58 like this.
Elola is offline  
Old Sep 7, 22, 9:10 pm
  #572  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PPro
Posts: 1,413
Originally Posted by Elola View Post
Not 24K gold plated, but they *did* have Ossetra-topped oysters as a menu item on a few of my prior visits, plus an incredible whiskey selection (Boss Hog, Pappy) if that's your thing. Stuff that you can't really find elsewhere in the airport.
...
It is by far the quietest and most elegant area in the entire airport, with excellent service and food to boot
I second that. The rare liquor cart had no equal among airport establishments. I hope they bring it back!
legalalien is online now  
Old Sep 7, 22, 11:28 pm
  #573  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: أمريكا
Posts: 26,436
Interesting that people like this place so much! I never had considered going there, let alone hanging out outside the toilet to take in the ambiance.

Still don't really get it though
Doppy is offline  
Old Sep 9, 22, 1:09 pm
  #574  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 33,322
Originally Posted by Doppy View Post
Interesting that people like this place so much! I never had considered going there, let alone hanging out outside the toilet to take in the ambiance.

Still don't really get it though
Back when the sole United Club in Terminal C was the awful operating theater Club at C78 this was a refuge from its overcrowded space. I would gladly have a cocktail and a snack in the quiet solitude of Classified over being in that zoo.
Doppy, SPN Lifer, EWR764 and 5 others like this.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 22, 4:35 pm
  #575  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by manstein58 View Post
Was just told by manager at SAISON that CLASSIFIED will reopen September 13
If you log in, you now can make reservations starting September 13th.
zig666 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:46 am
  #576  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Doylestown
Programs: UAL GS & Million M; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Posts: 1,380
Reopening today
FriendlySkies likes this.
manstein58 is online now  
Old Sep 13, 22, 11:43 am
  #577  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 2,042
cant wait to see reports!
hscottm is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 11:56 am
  #578  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,058
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Back when the sole United Club in Terminal C was the awful operating theater Club at C78 this was a refuge from its overcrowded space. I would gladly have a cocktail and a snack in the quiet solitude of Classified over being in that zoo.
Completely agreed. Now that there's an actually-usable-and-reasonable United Club, Classified is slightly less appealing... but I am *definitely* stopping in for a burger soon. They really were delicious!

Unfortunate that the UC and Classified are both in C-3. If one or the other would be in C-1, it'd be a no brainer depending on where my flight departs from.
EWR764 likes this.
dmurphynj is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 12:11 pm
  #579  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 5,470
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Completely agreed. Now that there's an actually-usable-and-reasonable United Club, Classified is slightly less appealing... but I am *definitely* stopping in for a burger soon. They really were delicious!

Unfortunate that the UC and Classified are both in C-3. If one or the other would be in C-1, it'd be a no brainer depending on where my flight departs from.
Hopefully the burger will be better than the one I got from Saison - at one point it was over-priced and undelicious.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:36 pm
  #580  
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 63,929
Originally Posted by manstein58 View Post
Reopening today
Yep; I just received an invite for Friday's travel. Given that thanks to a weird schedule change I now have 4+ hours to kill at EWR, I may take them up on it.
exerda is offline  
Old Sep 21, 22, 11:49 am
  #581  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PPro
Posts: 1,413
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Yep; I just received an invite for Friday's travel. Given that thanks to a weird schedule change I now have 4+ hours to kill at EWR, I may take them up on it.
Please post a review if you do.
legalalien is online now  
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:38 pm
  #582  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: CLE (mostly)
Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 809
I don't recall seeing an email (nor do I have any travel booked through EWR right now), but simply entering my MP number seems to indicate I am "invited" and can book a reservation for any day between now and February '23.

Hopefully my invitation doesn't expire before the next time I'm actually going to be in EWR.
Wooglin is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 3:57 am
  #583  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 150
I gave it a try on the 17th. I haven’t been there before, so I have no point of comparison.
Reservation was for early afternoon and when I arrived it was empty.
Service was good, and both the appetizer as well as the main course I tried were good. The quietness of the place was nice. It did fill up quite a bit by the time I left.

One off turn was the ordering via QR code and phone. While obviously familiar with the concept the implementation wasn’t great and for the price level I would consider this inadequate for this type of establishment. Provided as feedback, I got a “this is the future” in response. Oh well.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Would I do it again? Maybe.
Xyzzy likes this.
zig666 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 4:57 am
  #584  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 4,342
Originally Posted by zig666 View Post
.

One off turn was the ordering via QR code and phone. While obviously familiar with the concept the implementation wasn’t great and for the price level I would consider this inadequate for this type of establishment. Provided as feedback, I got a “this is the future” in response. Oh well.
I loathe the QR code menus and phone ordering. Nothing about that experience says, "first class", and we don't need more phone noises disturbing us while dining. Waiters create ambiance, give advice when ordering, and allow for easy modifications to your order (e.g. extra onions), something that was difficult in Classified's previous iteration. I guess, "this is the future" also means, "no tipping". Hopefully, robot waiters are coming soon since humans seem no longer necessary.
as219, FriendlySkies and narvik like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 24, 22 at 6:08 am
zombietooth is offline  
Old Sep 24, 22, 8:36 am
  #585  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by zig666 View Post
One off turn was the ordering via QR code and phone.
If ordering via QR code and phone has replaced the tabletop iPads they had previously, I think thats a win.
PTahCha, United747 and tcdtcd like this.
EWRSNA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread