Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Reopening Sept 13, 2022. If you login, reservations are available starting on that date. See below for the login/check access link.

menu for CLASSIFIED
{now requires login access} -- see here for Aug 2017 version

Check if you were invited:
https://classified.united.com/dining/Login
or classified.united.com/dining

Print Wikipost

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:21 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agree. OTG is a cancer that needs to be eradicated from airports. Buying a monopoly from airlines in order to gouge customers with over-priced food and crappy service.
Seriously.

Unfortunately, they're taking over my second 'home' airport ... TPA ....
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
AUS based 1k here. Fly in and out of EWR every week. Did have access to Classified, but never got email.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
$45 for a 28-day dry-aged rib eye doesn't sound too bad.
No, but for that amount of money it needs to be an AMAZING steak, properly served.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
1k, with frequent paid f/j tix to ewr, including ps. NO ACCESS
No real loss, but would have tried it.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
$45 for a 28-day dry-aged rib eye doesn't sound too bad.
I know, right?

Look, the food may be overpriced, but it might be decent, and I have no problem paying a premium for high quality airport food if I'm stuck there for any length of time. Vino Volo is overpriced too, but I do sure love me a glass of decent wine and snacks while waiting between flights. The off-putting thing is the faux exclusivity. I'm going to be in EWR in a few weeks around dinner time with time to kill. Are they seriously not going to allow me to make a reservation?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:56 pm

Does anyone like the iPads? To be honest, other than the higher prices, some OTG offerings are ok, but are ruined by the iPads, which lets servers compromise their service.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Chilis has implemented the use of a touch screen, but it must be failing because after a few months the wait staff is back in action. I don't understand the desire to interact with a computer vs. a human.

The new EWR restaurant sounds like Elways in DEN, but still the horrible cooks and staff will find a way to destroy a great meal. Never had airport dining on par with a real restaurant, even airport McDonalds make a regular location look good.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Chilis has implemented the use of a touch screen, but it must be failing because after a few months the wait staff is back in action. I don't understand the desire to interact with a computer vs. a human.

The new EWR restaurant sounds like Elways in DEN, but still the horrible cooks and staff will find a way to destroy a great meal. Never had airport dining on par with a real restaurant, even airport McDonalds make a regular location look good.
Elway's in Concourse B is fantastic. I’d actually put it ahead of it’s city center locations. And, yes, the Denver service is fantastic.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Really? Well as a 34 year old who has checked a fair amount of Michelin stars off his list I personally don't care. I'm at an airport and I'd rather see a photo menu and scroll vs having someone hover over me. I also like at EWR paying at order so you can take off when you want.
Remember the next wave of elites are going to be tech oriented milenials.
No problem paying at a restaurant if you have to leave. Just stand up. The check will come hasty-post-toasty.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:00 pm

Looks like a restaurant catering to a middle-amerca, Applebees loving, "well done steak please" man visiting the big city on a company card.

I guess United knows their customer well.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
GS, EWR-based.

targeted.

RECEIVED AN INVITATION.

tried to log in... was told i had no access, that access was limited to "select mileage plus members."
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
iPad ordering and catered by OTG at Newark ???? NO.THANKS. x 1000.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
1K with upcoming EWR travel in J - no email but was able to log in. I have some time before an SFO-bound flight - I think I'll try it out for breakfast.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion
Pretty good

We had the opportunity to eat at Classified this AM. We were the second group seated - my wife and I, 5 year old, and 2 year old. Both of us are GS and we are headed to HNL in first. The restaurant is located in the rear of Saison and is separated via a dark hallway. The servers and management were highly attentive (first day?) and the food was very good. We have not been fans of the OTG food quality, so this was a pleasant surprise. The decor was a mishmash of upscale restaurant and standard issue OTG tablet tables. We were offered a hot towel, amuse bouche, and a small chocolate gift on our way out (all a little odd for breakfast, but we are fine with it). The kitchen is the same as Saison, but the menu is exclusive to the restaurant. All in, we give this a solid recommendation.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
No, but for that amount of money it needs to be an AMAZING steak, properly served.
Perhaps there are some regional differences here. Since I (and looks like you as well) live in Chicago, $45 would buy us a steak at most of the good restaurants...and as you said, properly served and very good. Maybe in the NYC area, that's not the case.

Regardless, I can't imagine the food here is going to measure up to those high standards. I'd expect good, not great. It will be interesting to see more reviews so hopefully people will add them.

I guess my take on the whole concept is that I'll certainly spend money on great food + great experience...and I won't quote examples to prove that but I have a few doozies . This seems likely to be neither to me, so my inclination would be to get a burger or whatever in the airport for $20 instead. There's certainly a group of people who will disagree, and it remains to be seen if UA can somehow pick the right group, extend them invitations, and build a market for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.